'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

3/30/2011 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten just learned a hard lesson ... late is not always better than never ... because she just got blown off by the family of a "Make-a-Wish" boy.

Barefoot Contessa

You'll recall ... Enzo -- a 6-year-old with cancer -- wanted to cook a meal with Ina, but she couldn't find the time.

After TMZ broke the story, Ina took lots of heat.  So Monday night she called Enzo's family and offered for them to come to the Food Network for a cookout.

Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed:  "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions.  We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

As TMZ previously reported -- Enzo's new wish to swim with dolphins is already in the works, and Adrian tells us it will be fulfilled in August.

Lynn

It's pretty ridiculous that the people defending Ina keep bringing up all the charities she's donated to in the past. That doesn't exonerate her from making a heartless, selfish decision in the case of Enzo. He's a individual and should be treated as such not lumped in with the frivoulous charities, like the East Hampton Historical Society (that doesn't sound pretentious, does it?), that she throws money at. She should have considered it an honor that this precious little boy would have picked her as his ultimate wish, instead of looking at him as no more than an inconvienence.
She's probably never volunteered her time to work with children or she'd know just how rewarding it is. She doesn't deserve to be in his presence. What type of sub-human could look at that angelic child and say no?

mark

Justin Beiber managed to grant kids wishes 35 times in 2 years. The Pope even granted a child's wish. This fat ugly yenta is too self absorbed, greedy and pretentious. I read an article where she "gushed" about opening her home to the Hampton Historical society. face it the dried out hag has no kids and probably hates them.

gege

Really! Ask the question yourself. A child wants to meet you for what my be the last time you will ever see him and you say NO! another question to ask yourself. As a well known cook that has your own TV show, how many people really ask to meet you in the first place, especially a child. Ina, I would take the time next time, if there is ever going to be a request to meet you again by a child. Besides, I am sure you can take a moment away from all the guests you film with on your show, to take time to cook for a sick or even healhly child next time. This is not limited to just TV personalities, that's everyone.

Hypocrites

First of all it doesn't matter if he's dying tomorrow or if his cancer is in remission, I just don't think it would've been a big deal for her to meet with the kid. BIGGER stars have done more for healthier kids. And second, though I thought it was crummy for her to reject him, I wasn't upset until this story broke which proves her image was important enough to fly them out but his request wasn't. I won't say I hate her or wish her show cancelled, but her actions were deplorable.

MarkT1972

Please Justin Beiber has lots of staff and is far busier than than some fat cook on cable yet he granted 35 wishes in 2 years...she's had 3 to grant 1 and couldn't be bothered. The Pope even granted a child's wish, does she think herself more important than the Holy Father of one of the largest religions in the world with tens of millions of followers? Many others go out of their way to grant wishes from Beyonce to Mel Gibson, all real stars.

Her "charity", and she "gushes" when she talks about it, is opening her home to the Historical Society in the Hamptons, my God what a humanitarian . Oh yeah, she also made lunch for 5 people at 100k a pop for a celeb friends charity...Enzo just doesn't have the cash or clout.

Maybe if he was "fabulous" like her friends she wouldn't have to "reconsider". She looks like a guy in drag. What a self absorbed, conceited, delusional yenta with visions of her own self importance. If I see her on the street I will call her a bitch to her face.

jbeans

I'm so glad Enzo's parents turned her down! She only called cuz of all the uproar. I'm sure if we all didn't complain she wouldn't have called him. Oh well, too little too late. She has shown her true colors and I am def NEVER watching her show or buying her products!These "celebrities" are only celebrities because of us "Little people" so yes, they do owe us!! We can build you up or tear you down....buh bye Ina!!

Southern Charm

I used to watch this fat pig on FNC -- no more...don't care how good her food looks! Too busy she says??? WTH???

Roxy54

Everyone is so willing to believe that Ina deliberately ignored this kid's request, and none of us knows what the real story might be. Celebrities are always easy targets, and I would add that some parents that have children with illnesses or disabilities use their kids to get special favors for themselves as well. Of course I don't believe that it is the norm.

Nikky

Dear 13 (and others leaving comments similar to yours)you're disgusting pigs....I have 3 young family members that had terminal diseases (2 of which have since passed)...all 3 had wishes granted through the Make A Wish Foundation. While a single child may be insignificant to you and the other 'black hearts' out there...something like this could mean the WORLD to a little child especially one who's been in and out of the hospital..poked and cut open...had their immune system wiped out so they can't even enjoy sitting outside or playing on a playground as any child should. Obviously you've never experienced the pain that comes with a sick child...and good for you...but the shoe would certainly fit tighter if it were on the other foot. Let's hope you don't have children that have to deal with your apathetic disregard for human life!! ...you people wonder why this world is going to HELL!!

jbeans

God Bless you Nikky!! I 100% agree with you!

jbeans

Hey Roxy54, she refused him twice! And the only reason she's calling now is because alot of people are upset with her. If she was really busy then she should have come up with an alternative time/date. Your gonna tell me she's been busy every single day for 2 years? Not buying it! You can watch her on TV while the rest of us turn the channel!

LG

Who cares? Who cares? You heartless little weasel. Should you have a child one day with cancer then you'll understand instead of saying...who cares. I wouldn't even wish that anguish on you, not because of you, because any child who has to suffer with a terminal illness is a human injustice.

nameless

For those of you criticizing Make-A-Wish, they did nothing wrong in this situation. When the story broke they diplomatically stated that not all wishes can be granted. They never once criticized Ina. Blaming Make-A-Wish or pulling funding from them will only hurt the children it serves.

For those of you criticizing the family, if you had a dying child who was ignored for over a year, your opinion may change on whether it was appropriate to contact the press in order to get your child's dying wish granted. I am not stating that this was necessarily the most mature way to handle the situation, but I am certain that many parents out there would move heaven and earth to make their child's dying wish come true.

And Ina had over a YEAR to respond to this request. She stated twice that she had absolutely NO time to see this child. Only when she got negative press did she agree to meet with him, which is evidence enough that she could have made the time for him if she really wanted to. Pretending now that she cares is insulting.

Scotty

TMZ stop with this NON-STORY! Ina Garten AGREED to meet with Enzo, I know that's a boring story, so all the losers and haters ignore that fact so that they can continue to attack her. Ina Garten's a nice and decent woman, and she's a chef, not Mother Theresa!
Enzo chose to swim with dolphins, because that's a child's wish! It was never his wish to meet with Ina Garten in the first place, it was his spiteful mother's wish. But spiteful mommy, when you grow up, you will realize that you don't get everything you want! Oh, and good luck with the donations!

CountryGal

Enzo Momma Say Please Keep This Story Goin. She Need Mo Money. She Pimpin Out Enzo More And More

Previous 15 Comments | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments