'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

3/30/2011 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten just learned a hard lesson ... late is not always better than never ... because she just got blown off by the family of a "Make-a-Wish" boy.

Barefoot Contessa

You'll recall ... Enzo -- a 6-year-old with cancer -- wanted to cook a meal with Ina, but she couldn't find the time.

After TMZ broke the story, Ina took lots of heat.  So Monday night she called Enzo's family and offered for them to come to the Food Network for a cookout.

Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed:  "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions.  We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

As TMZ previously reported -- Enzo's new wish to swim with dolphins is already in the works, and Adrian tells us it will be fulfilled in August.

Anita

If not for her fans Ina Garten would be a nobody. I thought she was such a sweet person but after hearing this she's nothing but a self centered bitch who thinks of nothing but herself. I will no longer watch her shows or buy her cookbooks which I already own 3. She was my favorite Food Network Chef but not anymore. I hope she hears a lot of flack from this and loses all her fans. I'd much rather swim with the dolphins than to hang out with a whale!

M-bare-azzed-by-bTches

See..... this is how something like a little too much fame and fortune can bloat a persons sense of relevance in our world. These self serving self centered nepotists use their popularity and money as some measuring device suggesting they are somehow superior and unaffected, even immune to the human condition as we average, uncelebrated masses endure. You know what..... we are actually better for not having to stand behind you or your ilk at the market or bank while you drone on about what a bother it is waiting for the old lady sorting coupons while you huff and puff as your real vanilla bean ice cream melts and Jeffrey snagged a handicap spot because its right next to the door so the guy driving with his tongue because he's got no limbs had to park upper concourse and you dont push your cart through the check out line so its blocking everyone behind you and to top it off that insidious tone of voice trying to assure all the world that not only are you so good at everything you do you have never had anything more troubling in your life than a hangnail. But we're on to you Ina.....its what you're not getting that makes this whole charade so textbook.... and let me tell you, all those 'friends' who set a lovelier table than you, arrange flowers better than you, pair wine and meal courses better than you.....have a name for you......F--H--. Please, do the rest of us a favor....buy a sense of humility......oh yea and not that I should give a rats ass but back off on the butter, mayo and salt....yer killing Jeffrey.....and to think I actually watched you occasionally (no sound of course)(trying to figure out what was on the wall down the hall in what appeared to be a den)(waiting to see if you had a pet......and if it was fat) (dont do that to an animal, I'll call the ASPCA)(since theres no such thing as fashion police to end your shirt spree) OK Im over the top but if Enzo feels half this good with the Dolphins it wont surprise us, I got my ya ya's out and Inna Gadda Da Vida is once again all about the drum solo. My name is Deborah ........ Ina apologists.....have at me...... all the rest: Alton rules!!!!

Tasos

This is an unfortunate and sad situation. If Ina Garten had contractual obligations to honor, one cannot blame her for having to honor them. Perhaps if Enzo's parents explained the concept to him, there would have been no hard feelings about it, and his parents may have been more receptive and gracious to Garten when she was able to change her plans and offered to pay a visit. It appears, however, that Enzo's parents were not interested in saving him from hard feelings, or in accepting a delayed visit, or in teaching Enzo a life lesson.

Because Enzo's parents are likely aggrieved, due to his dire health cir***stances, their upset is understandable, though I would argue that it still is not in Enzo's best interest. Grief does not exempt one from grace, and for as long as God permits Enzo's parents the gift of his continuing presence with them, they are still obliged to teach him life lessons; among them, lessons about understanding others, and offering forgiveness and grace in place of anger and resentment.

Carla

I agree that Ina Garten is very busy and can't drop whatever she is doing to crant a with to a child with cancer... AND I will no longer spend ANY of my time ever watching her show again, thankfully I never bought any of her for I think they suck. Now, there are plenty of better Food Network Stars, my favorite Guy Fieri. Hopefully Ina will be dropped soon enough.

Terri Lyons

I THINK SHE SHOULD CHANGE HER NAME TO THE BAREFOOT ****ESA!!! I REALIZE PEOPLE ARE BUSY HOWEVER WHAT IN THE WORLD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A SICK BABY!!! SHE IS LIKE ALL THOSE REALTIY STARS THAT GET A LITTLE FAMOUS IT GOES TO HER HEAD, WELL IN HER CASE HER FAT ASS.
SHAME ON YOU ****ESA YOU WILL GET JUST WHAT YOU DESERVE,
YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO MEET THAT BABY!!!

carlada612

My boyfriend cooks and has gotten me to watch Ina's show a few times, always smiling and cheerful. That doesn't mean she is that person in real life-wouldn't surprise me now to learn that maybe she enjoys killing kittens in her free time! I hope this young man realizes that he is TOO GOOD to hang w/ the likes of her. I am not in the public eye, Enzo has no clue who I am-but I do wish him and his family the best. The dolphin gig would be MUCH more fun anyway!!! As for Ina's show-if FN doesn't cancel it, their ratings may drop as a whole network-something to think about.

Tracy

As the Mother of a child that had a wish grated, the wish was the most wonderful experience of her very short 4 year life.
Too busy! You should go and visit terminally ill children in a hospital someday. Perhaps you will gain a greater sense of the true meaning of life. I know I will always be too busy to watch,read or think about a selfish person like you. Good luck in life. Tracy

RICKY

I FEEL BAD FOR THE KID. BUT YOUR PROBLEMS ARE NOT EVERYBODY ELSES PROBLEMS. GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE.

marilu

she seems like a very arogant person and so tough if her show cancels.

Dee

For the people who say they would not drop what they were doing to make a child stricken with cancer happy...wow... pray that all your kids stay healthy and if not....good for you!!!!!! aholes

Leslie

In a Garden. What a dumb name.

Roci

There no one anyplace, anytime, who has the blessing of health, let alone "fame" fans, popularity and skill who should not make time for a sick child.
Nobody. Popes, presidents, kings, rock stars, you name it. If they can't find enough of their own humanity to reach out and give back something to a sick child who *asked* to see this person, the fault is never and will never be with the child. I dunno beans about this lady chef, but I understand what the title means. It means skill, talent and responsibility. Responsibility. Let's examine that for a minute.
As a Human Being, all of us, chefs, sou-chefs, bakers, cabbage pickers,commoners or kings have a responsibility to care for and about EACH OTHER. If someone in her position can't "condescend" to make a sick child happy, let alone making someone's dream come true, she deserves a good swift kick, right in her "mise en place"

Anonymous

And one more thing, beauteefullaydee, (even though TMZ will probably post this comment before the first one I wrote in response to your drivel), if bashing the Make a Wish Foundation is the best defence that Ina's supporters can come up with, no wonder she's in such a PR mess! Finding a fall guy to take the blame for all YOUR mistakes is a pretty classic move, and sometimes it works, but NOT when you're talking about a CHARITY ORGANIZATION that has done nothing but defend the individual in question! The more you people try to shift more blame onto the MAW Foundation, the more people are going to hate Ina! I guarantee it! You'd better find a less offensive way of defending your boss/idol!

mike scarn

Ina is a complete & utter boor. She needs to lose the neck-fat and grow a conscience.

Anonymous

beauteefullaydee, learn how to spell and READ! How many more times do I need to tell you idiots that the Make a Wish Foundation are NOT at fault for what's happening here?! They didn't try to force your precious Ina to grant Enzo's wish, unless you think it's "forcing" someone to do something just to ASK them to do it! They asked only twice, Ina (or her staff) refused both times, and they haven't bothered her about it since! Whenever the Make a Wish Foundation speaks publicly of Ina, it is only in her DEFENCE! The MAW Foundation are not trying to force Ina to grant this wish and THEY are not the ones who "pressured" her (although the PUBLIC did) to grant it.

Why is it such a crime for the MAW Foundation to even have ASKED Ina to do this in the first place? They were just asking, that was ALL they did! She could have said no, and she did! You're just mad that people found out about it, but THE MAW FOUNDATION ARE NOT THE ONES WHO MADE THAT PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE! I'm getting tired of saying that! I hope the next time YOU ask anyone to do anything, they complain about you "pressuring" and "trying to force" them to do what you want and ruin your reputation for nothing other than daring to ASK for it! And if anyone ever finds out that the person you asked for the favor said no and they receive ANY backlash for THEIR decision, YOU should be blamed for EVERYTHING even though all you did was ask a question and you didn't even tell anyone that the other person said no! That's what you're doing to the MAW Foundation and they don't deserve it.

The only reason I even care to comment anymore is because I won't stand to see the MAW Foundation badmouthed after all the good they do for cancer-stricken children who may or may not survive the condition. Obviously, they have more compassion than YOU do! All you people who want the MAW Foundation to take the fall for this are beyond disgusting! Ina Garten is a grown woman who made her own decisions about whether or not to grant this wish, so she can damn well live with the consequences that came with making the wrong choice! Only a MORON would not have known that it was a bad PR decision! Ina is not even a MAJOR celebrity, so yes, within TWO f***ing years, she COULD have found (or made) time for this small wish if she really wanted to! NOBODY is THAT busy that they can't afford even a few hours within a TWO YEAR TIME FRAME! What part of this do you not understand?! I agree that Ina didn't HAVE to grant this wish if she didn't want to, but it looks awfully bad on her for NOT doing so and it cost her a lot of fans. That was her own choice! You CANNOT blame the MAW Foundation for Ina destroying her OWN career, especially when the MAW Foundation has done nothing but DEFEND Ina throughout the entire sordid affair!

If you want to defend Ina, that's fine by me, but LEAVE THE MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION OUT OF IT! They're NOT going to be the "fall people" for Ina! Ina Garten may or may not be a monster, but YOU certainly ARE! Leave the MAW Foundation alone!

Previous 15 Comments | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments