'Make-A-Wish' Kid to Barefoot C: Don't Call Us ...

3/30/2011 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten just learned a hard lesson ... late is not always better than never ... because she just got blown off by the family of a "Make-a-Wish" boy.

Barefoot Contessa

You'll recall ... Enzo -- a 6-year-old with cancer -- wanted to cook a meal with Ina, but she couldn't find the time.

After TMZ broke the story, Ina took lots of heat.  So Monday night she called Enzo's family and offered for them to come to the Food Network for a cookout.

Enzo's dad Adrian tells us ... the ship has sailed:  "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions.  We're better off just leaving everything the way it is."

As TMZ previously reported -- Enzo's new wish to swim with dolphins is already in the works, and Adrian tells us it will be fulfilled in August.

Debcath53

I have to agree with #53

leisa

If she had even tried to make a call to speak with the young man, and explained that she herself was very busy she could have not had allo this going on. She has worked and talked about this organzation before, so one would think that his request would have been considered.

I think his family would have understood if she had family issues and work related things that could not have made it possible. We have skype, we have telephones, she culd have made a phone call to tell him that she just did not have the time.

But a phone call just to say hi, a cookbook, a dvd of hers, anything. She could of even have faked it and had her staff send some things. But she totally ignored the kid.

This little one may not have the time. I don't understand tv folk, they dress up, go to awards from August to March, people basically dress them, drive them, put their make-up and jewelery on. She could have signed a book while getting her make up on. I don't hink the family would of been disappointd at all if she had taken 5 minutes out of her time to just call the young guy.

D.

Ya know...if Ina didnt know about this, I bet she knows now, and if she didn't turn the kid down you would think that she would put herself out there to explain her side of the story and at least act like she gives a rats A$$ even if she doesn't. For all of those people that say she did no wrong...I don't really agree with that. I think what she did while not criminal, is morally reprehensible. I just can't help but think that with communication between the Make-A-Wish people and Ina Garten's handlers something could have been worked out, and the ONLY reason she attempted a "make good" was bad publicity. Ya know you get back in this life what you put out in this life...

CountryGal

Enzo momma keeping this story in the news. She want mo money

thestones

@3 mean

I believe it's his wish...not hers.

CONNIE

SHE'S SUCH A HEARTLESS HEIFER.FUNNY SHE FOUND THE TIME AFTER SHE GOT BAD PRESS.

TJ

I don't blame the family for avoiding her now. Obviously she is only offering her super-precious hour of time now because she caught flack. The parents have glimpsed the real person she is and realize she is such an out-of-it self-absorbed selfish materialistic idiot that she is not someone they would ever want their kid around.

Angel

Way to go Adrian! Hope you are reading these comments. Karma is a bitch, isn't it?!! Ina will get what she deserves. Hopefully, the Food Network will pull her show after this.

Wishing Enzo all the best!

md mom

I can't stand this woman, but I agree with those that wrote that a wish is just that--I think she handled it badly but I am sure there are a lot of celebrities that get these kinds of requests that cannot be fulfilled.
I am a caregiver for the past nine years to my husband a cancer patient--and life itself becomes the only wish that you want to have granted.
It sounds like this kid has a good family who I wish all the best for.

CountryGal

Enzo Momma making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ off of these stories. Bling bling! Use yo kid some mo lady.

SUZY

to make a childs dream come true is not something everybody can do so when you have the chance you should always help someone else. sham on her she has everything she wants and to blow of a child you should be ashamed!!!!!!!!!!!!

JaySin420

Please God....if you really exist....save that little boy....and give his Cancer to this fat slob.

The only thing worse than this pig are the people on here sticking up for her. I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way if it was your child that was dying you heartless C-Suckers.

CountryGal

Enzo momma gonna be Rollin in her Bentley soon. She is keepin this going

Crystal

It made me mad that after the story was told on TMZ she wanted to reach out to him..How did you all of a sudden find time..I will not watch her show ever again.

Kansas

What a horrible horrible human being. I hope they pull her cooking show and her publisher puts her on the back burner. Cooking is ultimately about family and friends, coming together to share a great meal and share with other around the table. I can't help but to think about Scrooge and Tiny Tim. But in this story, there is no happy ending. Thanks to Barefoot Contessa, there will be an empty seat at this years Thanksgiving. Let this be a lesson to anyone out there. Kids come first. You drop what you are doing and you listen.