MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

$$

"everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death"

Why should I be focusing on Micahels Death??
Sorry Joe..the world does not and has NEVER revolved around Michael...

Mike44090

GET OVER IT JACKSON FAMILY!!!!! Everything said in this world is about the Jackson family. I guess you will just have to be offended. I think it is offense for yo0u to whine about every little thing.

LuvAll

I hate to say this but I'm pretty sure the Jackson family is going to get upset over every mention of his name or reference to any incident in his life that doesn't end in them getting paid for it. I get it, he left debt, he left kids, but Jackson family please understand that even though we all love and miss MJ and we respect that you all may still be in mourning he was famous and people will still talk about him. It was no different for Elvis. Take a deep breath and get over it please.

LuvAll

MJ was likely a mess well before the 'Pepsi Incident'.
Posted at 11:45 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by CC

MJ did not drink alcohol or take drugs before the Pepsi incident. You know nothing about MJ. So STFU. posted by Marie

Marie its actually been proven by his close friends that he had used marijuana before 1984 while partying at Studio54. I guess you didn't know him either so maybe you should STFU.

Janet

Give it up Joe! James didn't even use Michael's name, he referenced to the unfortunate incident as a "Pepsi" moment! Having your hair start on fire is no laughing matter, and James meant no harm to Michael! He was protecting himself so it wouldn't happen!

Besides, I bet James remark made Michael laugh!!!!!!!!!!!! He sure wouldn't want any harm to come to James. ~ When I think of a "Pepsi" moment, I picture the beautiful Cindy Crawford walking across my television set drinking one. That made Michael smile to!

Anna

Well, the comment may have been out of line but I don't think it was meant to be an insult. MJ did suffer alot because of that injury unfortunately. I think the family is just feeling extra sensitive now because the Murray trial is coming up. MJ's family, friend and fans need to pick their battles wisely because more things are going to be said soon :(

ManiacalZebra

Oh, please. Anyone who can be offended at that needs professional help.

kjh

I don't think James was making light of what happened to Michael Jackson. I think he was genuinely worried about his hair catching on fire. Nothing more, nothing less.

Darrow

Why do they care? It was funny on 2 fronts the fact that there was really a Pepsi incident and the other fact that Coke is American Idols main sponsor. But James wasn't making fun of it, he just said he was worried that it would happen.

The End.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

phk the jacksons...they can all join mj in hell

LI_Mom

Hairspray & fire.... I'd be nervous too. If anyone should be upset about this comment, it's Pepsi for having their name used to describe a terrible accident.

And I think the family doesn't realize that "everyone" DOESN'T have to focus on who or what is responsible for Michael's propofol overdose.

Tanya

This is absolutely rediculous!! He didn't mean it as a slam against MJ first of all! and second of all like most of you said not everything is about MJ! get over it!

Marie

MJ could have chose rehab at any time. He didn't.
Posted at 11:52 AM on Mar 31, 2011 by Michelle

MJ went to rehab in 1993 you seem to forget.

They are crayz!!

Why should "everyone" be focused on who is responsible for MJ's death? ~ He is a child rapist - glad he is gone. Most likely he killed himself, which is something the other child raping monsters should do as well.

"everyone" should not have to read about his greedy family trying to vulture the scraps every day. The kiddy molestor is gone - lets stop talking about him now.

kar

That's stupid. He was just making a comment as young people sometimes do and I am sure he meant no disrespect to the Jackson family. There are far worst things being said in the media right now about him. Its time to move on. We will never forget him the memories will always be there. Please let him rest in peace!