MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

cezanne

They need to get over that "everything is about Michael Jackson" attitude and get real although their entire family is so messed up - not sure they could get concerned about some real issues.

mondo

Marie, you are a F*ckin Idiot as well!!!

R

Tuff.

Barbara

James has Aspergence(spelled wrong)disease and they sometimes say inappropriate things. Give him a break Joe.

C. Fox

Joe Jackson is the new O.J. Simpson. Keep looking for the real killers, Joe.

And don't for a moment develop self-awareness enough to see the correlation between child abuse and those same children growing up to be addicts in order to cope with the emotional pain.

"...everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

I'm focusing on you, Joe. Just you.

brenda mackey

Really.OMG.Only in AMERICA do we say freedom of speech as we bitch about everything people say. besides it was the first thing that came to my mind when I watched the show . I thought it was funny. Also if MJ was a whiteman this conversation would not have even been brought up. It was a racist comment because MJ is a "fake" blackman .

JANP

Get over it..besides this is a family full of drug misuse, child abuse, (Joe?) and just strange people. Get over it!

missy

Oh stick it up your ass MJ family! The comment was funny as hell! BTW, I am offended that your family member was allowed to molested boys, then pay them off.

Brad

MJ was a druggie and child molester and his family are a bunch of morons.

Christi

Ok first off I don't think he was making fun of MJ in any way. Secondly, he has Asperger's!!! Hello! My 14 yr old has it as well. They don't always say the most appropriate things at the appropriate times. Doesn't make them bad for doing this. Its just a part of this syndrome. The Jackson family is just wanting to make another case so they can eventually sue cause they are apparently money hungry since their paycheck died. Go James!!! I hope he wins.

fleiter

MJ was an idiot who didn't realize the danger of ridiculous amounts of hairspray and flame guns. That's certainly something to make fun of.

RC

Get over it....what else is going on....

writingonthewall

MJ made his chices, now he can't live with them because this fine father chose DOPE over his children.
He wasn't God, he was a doped up Druggie.
Now his kids have ti live with the legacy he left them.

JD

I believe MJs Drug use was his attempt to FORGET he was related to the two most horrible parents on the face of the earth. He wen to so far as to trun himself white to escape any conection to the Train Wreck that is The Jackson Clan. This wasn't the first comment made about the Pepsi incident nor will it be the last. He wasn't a saint so why does his family insist on treating him like a Sacred Icon. Dude (and I use the term loosely) was a drug adddled pedophile who's best friend was a Chimp. Is anyone really surprised he abused drugs and it ultimately killed him? The Jacksons should be glad he left them a fortune to live off of.

Lindsay

That kid wasn't even alive when the Pepsi incident happened - Let's lay off the "offended" bandwagon eh?