MJ Family Offended by 'A.I.' Pepsi Moment

3/31/2011 3:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: Idol contestant James Durbin just tweeted, "For anyone talkin..I said pepsi NOT MJ! I have no disrespect for Michael. I grew up singing his art. I guess youll take it how you want it..." and then followed that up with, "Talkin about MJs passing is too soon. Making a reference to an incident 25 years ago..not too soon. The stab was at pepsi people."

Michael Jackson
's family is offended by a comment made on "American Idol" last night by a contestant, who made light of MJ's devastating injury that triggered years of drug abuse.

Pepsi Moments
If you saw the show, James Durbin told Ryan Seacrest after his performance, "I have a lot of hairspray in my hair to keep it from jumping around -- so much so, the one thing I was worried about was having a 'Pepsi moment.'"

The "Pepsi moment" is a reference to the 1984 incident where Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial, severely burning his scalp -- an injury that triggered an addiction to prescription drugs that may have ultimately taken his life.

033111_pepsi_splash_video
A Jackson family rep tells TMZ, "We were shocked to see this. It's nothing to make light of and everybody should be focusing on who was responsible for Michael's death."

The rep says Joe was particularly upset that producers didn't take the remark out of the West Coast feed.

me

Oh my God. Jacksons, you need to shut it now. Not everyone everywhere is talking about you. People have their own lives, their own successes, their own moments. Just STFU and let the man have his.

wtf

i thought Michael was responsible for his own death after he hired a doctor to illegally drug him repeatedly???

billy cema

They were offended by that? Oh, okay, anything to stay in the news, huh?

Mackenzie

Dear Jackson family,

Get over yourselves already.

Sincerely,
Everyone

LarryP

I wish that family would shut the hell up. The motivation is clearly to turn MJ into a legend without any sins. Because it affects the bottom line and their immense egos.

MJ as a person was a train wreck. Accept it.

Simone

Oh c'mon get over it.

Next they'll blame Pepsi for Michael Jackson being a child molester.

Marie

He wen to so far as to trun himself white to escape any conection to the Train Wreck that is The Jackson Clan... Dude (and I use the term loosely) was a drug adddled pedophile who's best friend was a Chimp.
Posted at 12:28 PM on Mar 31, 2011 by JD

First of all MJ did not turn himself white. He had vitiligo and his dermatologist told him to use belaching cream to treat his skin condition. Second of all I am sick and tired of people bashing MJ left and right calling him a pedophile. And third are you going to tell me MJ had sex with Bubbles too? So he was a pedo and a beast and a druggie? Why not just call him Lucifer to make things easier?

MyOpinionOnly

Marie - you need to really stop trying to defend Mj now. That last post made you come off way crazy and will only fan the flames. You have a right to like/worship/respect who you like as well as others have the same right to oppose your views. Besides, you cannot honestly believe that everyone forgot about all the drama with him and kids do you? Please. Sorry, but I will also be one who is way to suspicious about the cir***stances and whether they had proof or not, once money comes into play....you make it suspicious. I respect MJ as an entertainer, but as a person, father, human? I can't make a call on it. Just sayin.

kathy

...wow..he can't sing anyway....It sounded like HIS hair was on fire ...FOR REAL....

Raejean

The Jackson family needs to get a life and a little perspective.

Jackson was a drug abuser. He's not the only person who ever experienced injury or pain. Instead of fighting his way out of it, he chose to indulge himself.

One way or another, his drug habits played a major part in his death. He shopped for doctors and drugs. There would have been no doctor administering any major drugs by infusion if Jackson had been healthy to start with.

Linda

The "Pepsi Incident" was intentionally done and any drugs were given without consent so that "they" could control.Michael was not a drug addict and anybody who doesn't see that needs to have their own head examined. People need to start using their own brains and stop letting "them" control your thoughts.American Idol planned that statement for just what it is doing,causing people to divide. We are all doomed if you don't "WAKE UP".Stop letting others tell you what you think.Turn your television OFF! Divide and conquer.

sofi

For the posters writing that Michael was an addict have you even read the autopsy report?

It's about time you did because the coroner states that THERE WERE NO SIGNS OF DRUG ABUSE!

As for this contestant he should thought before opening his mouth.

Mihaela

Give me a break. I thought the comment was funny.

Barbara

MICHAEL I LOVE YOU!!!!!

djr1283

The only thing that messed MJ up for life was his father JOE!!! he is to blame period