Colbert

Makes Black's 'Friday'

Into Awesome Jam

4/2/2011 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Stephen Colbert is truly a magician -- because with the help of Jimmy Fallon, The Roots and a special "American Idol" guest, he managed to turn the Rebecca Black song "Friday" into ... dare we say it ... a good song.

w

Can someone help me out here, in the video at 5:01 there is a dude holding up a QR scan, did Jimmy do a story on that during the episode, or was that just random at the end?

carlitos

colbert rocks

Superman

God help us!

And btw, why does Colbert have a hand mic and an ear mic? Colbert being redundant.

samson

I guess that was KINDA funny. Seriously though, God himself could come down from the heavens and sing this song and it would still be terrible. The lyrics are embarrassingly bad.

Sandra

Thanks TMZ!!! Absolutely loved and it was great fun to watch!!

Rich

That was awesome haha
Stephen is God

YongHJ

great performance! it's all about the performance, even if the lyrics aren't good.

theroundearth

If you want to see (and hear) what a good interpretation can extract from this song, listen to the "Friday" cover by Kyle Puccia.
It's ironical and serious at the same time and very well sung. It's on Youtube.

Candace

Awesome!!

Lady G

Awesome

smb

Hey, that's an excellent song! BTW, I just adore Jimmy Fallon!

Truth

PROOF THAT WITH SOME REAL TALENT, THE TRACK ISN'T TOTALLY SHIETLESS SANS REBECCA BLACK!! TRUTH!!!

b.mclane

Good lord I fear for this country. Reading comprehension is so low its scary.I never said the Colbert/Fallon rendition of "Friday" was High Schoolish. I said, and let me make this 1st grade simple;I said Fallon's entire show is basically high school level entertainment.Mainly because he uses the same old cronies from his Saturday Night Live days repeatedly and they are not funny. So his show comes off as mediocre at best.
Regarding the Colbert appearance. I clearly said it was a good thing for charity but not "awesome" as TMZ declared. What they did has been done a zillion times. There was zero new or awesome about it.
Now here is awesome: Craig Ferguson. He does more adlib and off the top of his head funny all by his lonesome than all the writers and big money thrown at Fallon's show could never dream.

riol

False advertisement: Fallon said "The moment we have all been waiting for" and I expected him to start being funny. Let down

sugart*ts

Good thing Stephen's Catholic because if he ever left the protection of his good wife, myself and no doubt millions of other women would stalk him like our own hand fed foie gras. I even get depressed when he goes on vacation; maybe another Xmas CD would pull me through though it...come on, if Aqualung has a Xmas album, there can never be too many!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments