Jackson Statue Erected Outside Soccer Stadium

4/3/2011 1:26 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

English Premier League soccer and Michael Jackson are synonymous with each other (just go with it) so it should come as no surprise that a statute in his honor was unveiled outside a stadium in London today.

0403_michael_jackson_statue_getty
Turns out the owner of the Fulham FC, Mohamed Al Fayed, was close friends with Jackson. He had originally planned to put the statue outside of Harrods in London, but he sold the store last year.

So now it is displayed outside of a soccer stadium in London. Perfect match.

Hot Blooded

...that statue is f*cking terrifying.

Maria

Hey, this is sooo cool. I am so happy to hear and see that Michael's statue is placed for people to see. I think Michael is much more gorgeous than the statue, but it's the thought that counts :)
Thanks Mohamed Al Fayed

DatDogBitez

Wow. That's one fugly statue. Whether or not it looks like Michael is beside the point. The problem, apparently, is that the artist couldn't pass a junior high school paper mache exam if his life depended on it.

Jim in Cali

I love MJ's music but this is almost as weird as him.

DH06

I'm an MJ fan, but this statue is awful! It looks cheap and tacky. Plus a football club is hardly an appropriate place for an MJ statue.

Brigha from UK

After Dodi and Diana died, Mohamed was quite vocal in his criticisms of the royals and the establishment here. The media in general gave him a rough time, even though he was obviously grieving at the time.

In an interview with Piers Morgan, MJ defended Mohamed and said what a caring and kind man he was.

So, I think this statue is a well intended tribute to a respected friend, and I particularly loved Mohameds remark when questioned about those Fulman supporters who do not approve of the statue.
"Tell them to go to Hell!" he said.

Having said that, IMHO the statue looks quite tacky and almost 'cartoonified'. It totally fails to capture MJs dynamism or essence.

I don't know who the sculptor was, but I think MAF should be asking for a refund!

jxtr

I agree with DH06. I am a fan of MJ. However, this statute does look tacky and somewhat cartoonish. I was expecting a statute that was more lifelike and better quality. Also, having the statute at a soccer (or football as it referred to most other countries) field does not fit. Unless, this soccer field double as an outdoor performance stage for musicians, I do not get the connection.

Also, after seeing the statute and reading the article, I thought this might have been an April Fool's Day prank.

snodgrass

@by Eric #34

Does hating haters make one a hater??

Follow your own advice.

anna

why are people so mean to Michael and all he did was try to spread love to everyone. Please leave him alone he was a very loving person lets try and remember all the good he did Michael is one of the greatest of all time but a lot of people misunderstand him and call him all sorts of names it hurt me so badly, please just leave him alone.
LOVE U ALYAYS AND FOREVER MICHAEL.ANNA

JLa

M. Al Fayed's responce: Genius I love it!!! " "Football fans love it. If some stupid fans don't understand and appreciate such a gift they can go to hell. I don't want them to be fans. If they don't understand and don't believe in things I believe in they can go to Chelsea, they can go to anywhere else." (CNN)

I really appreciate that Mr. Al Fayed!
I think that after a while people will get over it. Where ever you go there are going to be Nay sayers. He is the chaiman he can do whatever he likes! Also the following was said by the Chief of the statium as well.
The Fulham chief received the backing of visiting Blackpool manager Ian Holloway. "Love or loathe him Jacko is one of those iconic figures," he was quoted by Britain's Press Association as saying. "'I know some fans are grumbling about the statue but I think it is terrific. He was a very special bloke and one of a handful of people I am proud to have been on the planet at the same time as."(CNN)

I don't think the statue looks that much like Michael but the thought and idea is appreciated. People will be able to tell its him by the clothing and pose.

R.I.P MJJ I Love you!!

Ulja

It is absolutely not similar to Michael. Neither face nor figure. idea is good. Who is the author of this artwork?

sofi

This statue doesn't look like Michael at all.

Mr.Fayed should have found the best sculptor to make a much better statue of Michael,no wonder Fulham's fans said that they would be ridiculed if the statue would be erected.

moe l.

Of course it's made out of plastic...

kimborock

WTF??????

Ulja

Someone is fooling around?