Scott Pelley

To Replace Katie Couric

At CBS

4/5/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

CBS network sources tell TMZ ... Katie Couric's replacement for the "CBS Evening News" will be Scott Pelley.

0404_scott_katie_ex_getty

We're told Pelley, a veteran journalist and "60 Minutes" correspondent, is the choice of CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager.  We're told Fager, who became Chairman in February, took the position on the condition he could decide who takes the desk.

We're told Pelley, 53, is the choice for two reasons.  First, he's well-liked and respected by his bosses, and second ... there really is no second choice who is appealing to the CBS honchos.

We've heard rumblings CBS's grand poobah Les Moonves is not sold on Pelley, but he will defer to Fager.

Sources connected with Katie tell TMZ ... she made the decision to leave the anchor desk before Fager became Chairman, but they acknowledge Fager was not going to keep Katie as the "CBS Evening News" anchor.

Nevertheless , we're told all of the CBS bosses -- including Fager -- want Katie to do a syndicated show at the network and maintain a presence at CBS News.  Couric hasn't made her decision yet.

And that's the way it is ...

Katie Couric Photos

Robert

hmm, Connie Chung was the first Asian-American to do the network anchor. She shared it with Dan Rather. Come to think of it, he does look like Dan Rather's and Connie Chung's love child.

Cella

Everybody knows Brian Williams in the man. Who watches CBS anyway??

Politico Pablo

I was hoping they'd bring back old Dan Rather. A ton of makeup, the right lighting, he's good to go for another 30,000 miles.

Jim Jones

From bad to really bad, well I am totally done with CBS news.

squeeky

I am surprised Les Moonves didn't replace Katie with
his wife, JULIE CHEN. She is everywhere, thanks to
her husband. I personally can not stand her, but it
must be nice to have a husband who is the head of CBS.
She stinks on "The Talk" and has no talent. I bet he
had her in the running to replace Katie, who did a
horrible job! I stopped watching CBS a long time ago.
Maybe it is time to get rid of Les Moonves!

Jerry Jaqueway

It now appears I will be able to watch the news again. Since Katie got the job I have avoided her completely. I like Scott from his 60 minute job, so lets give him a chance. One things for sure, he does not have anyones shoes to fill.

Brian

Why not Harry Smith? This guy deserves it!

hahaha

Unlikable Personality + Liberal "Reporting" Bias + Terrible Ratings = BUH BYE KATIE!

LongJohn69

He should have been 1st choice years ago. My god, he looks just like a younger version of Bob Schiefer. How closer to perfect can they get? They can't. Send Katie packin, NOW!

LongJohn69

LongJohn69

Stephen

The ratings may be down for the CBS News, but I dop not believe Couric caused the fall: many people accustomed to weighty news being delivered by pompous journalists probably were not at ease with the more vivacious approach of this hot woman. She probably alientated many women, much like Sarah Palin alienated many women voters (through envy).

Cella

Palin alienated women AND men with her stupidity. I certainly don't know any females who envy her.

x

nobody watches abc, cbs and nbc news

get real

He Looks like Rush.. Dont Like his looks.. Sneeky looking.