Scott Pelley

To Replace Katie Couric

At CBS

4/5/2011 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

CBS network sources tell TMZ ... Katie Couric's replacement for the "CBS Evening News" will be Scott Pelley.

0404_scott_katie_ex_getty

We're told Pelley, a veteran journalist and "60 Minutes" correspondent, is the choice of CBS News Chairman Jeff Fager.  We're told Fager, who became Chairman in February, took the position on the condition he could decide who takes the desk.

We're told Pelley, 53, is the choice for two reasons.  First, he's well-liked and respected by his bosses, and second ... there really is no second choice who is appealing to the CBS honchos.

We've heard rumblings CBS's grand poobah Les Moonves is not sold on Pelley, but he will defer to Fager.

Sources connected with Katie tell TMZ ... she made the decision to leave the anchor desk before Fager became Chairman, but they acknowledge Fager was not going to keep Katie as the "CBS Evening News" anchor.

Nevertheless , we're told all of the CBS bosses -- including Fager -- want Katie to do a syndicated show at the network and maintain a presence at CBS News.  Couric hasn't made her decision yet.

And that's the way it is ...

Katie Couric Photos

John Svengali

Y-A-W-N...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Joe

Couric is a little snot, not at all likeable. It really does not matter who takes her place. Less and less people watch the network news because more and more people see how phoney they are. All the major channels are stooges for Obama and liberal America.

danpa

JUST ANOTHER LIBERAL LOSER............. YAWN....

Lazybum

Who the heck is Scott washisname?

If they want ratings, start with a story about Obama and gas prices, then start reporting the truth about the state of America.

Won't happen, he will fail.

Bob

If CBS management had a lick of sense they would replace her with Sarah Palin.

ted

Gawd Katie looks really old in that pic.I guess that is what she really looks like without soft focus.

Butterfly

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, Katie Couric was very happy and very anxious to become the first female news anchor among the top three evening news shows. She made history but, it unexpectedly, backfired. It was reported she barged in like a prima donna by ordering people around reminding them who she was. It didn't wash. too bad she failed to take it slow and easy for the staff to get to know her before she, "put on the dog." Making others feel inferior to yourself is not the way to go. Lessons learned!

jim

Russ Mitchell

B. Samuel Davis

Replacing one leftist pro-Democrat anti-Republican journolista with another. Count on ratings to fall dramatically once again. CBS News is a bunch of losers - don't they owe it to the shareholders to deliver value? How about trying something conservative, which Fox has shown works? But, for CBS, ideology is more important than ratings. Fools!

Gwenn Burns

I think HARRY SMITH SHOULD GET THE JOB. BY THE WAY HE WAS JERKED OFF OF EARLY SHOW, I WATCHED THAT SHOW ALL THE TIME NOW I DESPISE TO WATCH IT. CBS IS NO SHOW WITH OUT HARRY SMITH.IT WAS BAD ENOUGH TO LEAVE ERICA HILL ON THERE AND TAKE MAGGIE AWAY, DAVE AWAY, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T TAKE HARRY AWAY. HE IS THE SMARTEST, FRIENDLIEST, EVERYBODY LIKES HIM. BEST MAN FOR THE JOB. THANK YOU

Dennis D

How about Russ Mitchell to replace to replace Katie. He has an excellent yet laid back delivery, and still sounds friendly and authoritative with a great voice.

UNLEVINED HARVEY

i say the best choice would be smilin suzy suh from local los angeles tv

r. o'brien

I liked Katie much better than Diane sawyer.

Terry

I won't be watching CBS News any longer. Scott Pelley is an arrogant, obnoxious, liberal. I fast forward through anything he does on 60 Minutes so I don't have to listen to him. I guess I will switch to Brian Williams over at NBC. He is much more like the kind of guy I would trust my news from. I admit that Katie might not have been the best news anchor, but she was likeable and I enjoyed her reports.

Dexter "BAP!" Emanuel

Well, before they chose Katie, I wish that they would have choosen John Roberts for the job.
So, let John Roberts or Harry Reed sit in while Scott is out on assignment or off.
She (Katie) brought no life to the news. It was DEAD!!! BORING!!!
So, THANK GOD, THANK GOD, WE ARE FREE AT LAST.
Good Riddance.