Pia After 'Idol' -- 'Everyone Was Sobbing'

4/8/2011 3:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Pia Toscano and the rest of the "American idol" finalists were a crying mess after the 22-year-old's shocking elimination last night -- sources connected with the show tell TMZ.

Pia Toscano American Idol
"Everyone was sobbing" after the show, says one of our "Idol" spies.  We're told Pia was probably the most popular contestant among the contestants, and, "They were totally bummed out she was leaving."

The contestants -- sans Pia -- showed up for the "Kiss Off Dinner" at a restaurant in L.A.  Pia made her entrance after everyone was seated  ... followed by tears, more tears, and then one of the producers put it in perspective to make it all better, saying, "The point of 'Idol' is to launch careers.  Pia, you're launched."

We're told Pia didn't check out of the "Idol" hotel last night, but she'll be out of there today.

UPDATE: Apparently, Pia ran out of tears, because earlier today she was seen out in L.A. with a big, fat smile on her face.

0408_pia_PCN

Mexica

If the judges had used their Save for Pia, she would have gone next week.

They saved Casey and he's still there because American likes him.

Katelynn

I agree that Casey should have been out of there. Pia was good and I loved watching her sing. Does this mean Casey can win it all?

cmueller

Oh, who cares? Pia was about as exciting as a cinder block. She was pretty and could carry a tune. But, YAWN. And her voice was so generic sounding, like a Miss America contestant's performance. I'd so rather watch a contestant with a mediocre voice and interesting personality. Pia could make an album for insomniacs.

Kim

I hope Scotty wins. He is the best! As for Pe Pe, she was ok, but not a Scotty.

CA Girl

Hey, this isn't the worst thing that could happen. Pia, most likely, is talking to prospective agents and record producers even as we speak. She's going to get through this, folks. I promise she will. Life will go on without Pia on A.L., although she is going on the tour when the competition is over. She knows what's going on out here with all the fans - both pro and con - and she'll do fine. She had several opportunities to do what the judges kept advising her to do, and she waited until the last to do it. That was HER decision. It just didn't work out for her. No, I don't think she was particularly great on that last night. Yes, I thought she was a little uncomfortable-looking. It's a learning experience, after all. Jennifer Lopez's broken heart will mend by next Wednesday night. I promise.

Johnny Rocketship

I would make her scream my name for a good solid 2 minutes. so fine! i'd tear that up.

Tinalouise

A classic case of a girl getting by and where she is because of her beauty. She had a good voice and all but she wasn't STAR material...sorry.

june

It is the third season that they kicked out the wrong person. Pia is the best there. It is officially over fo American Idol. I feel the judges should break the rules and let her come back. People cant be that stupid, she is so talented.If she is not on next week, I will never watch this show again. The judges shouldnt put the contestants in America hands. They are the judges and they know who has talent in the business. WE WANT PIA, WE WANT PIA..come on Randy, Jennifer, and Steve, it is up to you to bring her back..

Cooper

she'll be fine and dandy - it's a "Hard Candy Christmas"...

delightfullydelusional

This show should be cancelled. Whoever named this girl should be punched in the face.

Vicky

After Kris Allen won over Adam Lambert, I resigned myself to the fact that 12 year old girls are running Idol. It is sad and pathetic that they are picking America's next idol. For adults who don't spend hours texting in their votes for the likes of Stephano, or the so called "cute boys" over those with true musical talent is very discouraging. If Idol doesn't recognize this fact, I may have to stop watching. You could even see it on Stephano's face, he knew it should have been him. Pia was a real contender and anyone indicating she could not carry a tune, likely is tone deaf.

leafy

SHe didn't "lose" anything folks. She has a great career ahead of her and a jump start on the others still competing. She will be touring near your town soon.

kittyblingbling

She was too popular...i thought she would def.make the top 3 but it woulda been too easy...so now she's gone, the competition should be fun...

Annie

I agree, the judges should not have used the save already because Pia has a lot more talent within her voice than quite a few who are still left. I had tears in my eyes when she got knocked out and I can't honestly say who my favourite is, there are so many good ones.

GeneL

"All three judges were beyond surprised by the voting, with Jennifer Lopez telling her "I'm shocked, I'm angry, I don't even know what to say."
---------------------------------------------------------------
OH! STOP WHINING ALREADY!

It was the Producer's choice as part of the selection process to have America vote...AND AMERICA VOTED PIA OUT...so, END OF STORY. Unless you want them to change the rules in mid-stream just because you excessively adulatory and ever-pandering Judges who can't seem to find any fault or criticism in ANY of the contestants don't agree?