Dennis Quaid:

I Was COKED OUT

During 'Big Easy'

4/11/2011 2:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dennis Quaid says he was so coked out of his mind during the time he was shooting "The Big Easy" back in the '80s ... he was sleeping ONE hour a night in between drug sessions.

0411_dennis_quaid_bn_tmz
Quaid spilled his guts about his cocaine addiction in the '70s and '80s to Newsweek ... calling it his "greatest mistake."

Quaid explained, "I’d wake up, snort a line, and swear I wasn’t going to do it again that day. But then 4 o’clock rolled around, and I’d be right back down the same road like a little squirrel on one of those treadmills."

Quaid says he finally realized the severity of his addiction when his band broke up ... saying, "I kind of realized I was going to be dead in five years if I didn’t change my ways. The next day I was in rehab."

In the end, Quaid says the experience helped him grow as a person -- "If I hadn’t gone through that period, I don’t know if I’d still be acting."

MoonDust

That man is so fu c king sexy at his age, he has a great body.

PRO US

I don't find him sexy. He does have a certain charisma though. Something all-American, athletic and wholesome-looking about him. Ironic that he was a coke addict for 2 decades.

sue

I think he is sexy

Sean

He should get more coke then. The Big Easy was his best movie. And his best performance.

Jim

He had to put it out there for the public to see because the rumor is that he wants to run for political office here in Texas. For an aspiring politician, it is better to air your dirty laundry yourself, rather than let somebody else dig it up.

Phil

Where's the news? Everyone was coked out back then.

OooooNooo!

Oh good, that is what everyone needs to hear: "My cocaine addiction experience made me a better actor." What a douche.

Jodi

Why is he bringing this up now? Anyway, maybe he can be a guest at Charlie's next asinine show and talk about the dangers of drug use and how going to rehab can be a good thing.

Meanie

Who cares.

Lexie

I agree Jodi. This is old news. Anyone who has ever followed Quaid's career knows he was a coke head. It's not the first time he's spoken out about it. If fact, he gave credit to Meg Ryan for helping him get sober. She refused to marry him until he got off the coke. Also, his main problem now is remaining faithful as a husband. He cheated on Meg & he's cheating on the trophy wife too. If he is seriously considering running for a political office (which I doubt), I'd be more worried about all the women he has been with coming forth.

djdeej94

addictions of any kind suck... they kill us all... addictions to food, tv, illegal drugs - legal drugs, prescribed, and not prescribed.. addictions to liquor.. addictions to redbull shots.. you name it... we're all capable of it - judgers can suck it! I'm glad he's doing well!

willcox

This is OLD news. I once heard a lecture by a crew member on 'Big Easy'. It wasn't a secret that Quaid was coked out of his head....BTW it's not uncommon.

Gary

who cares. Thank god he stopped for his "band". what a joke. If he would have died in 5 years how differnt would the world have been. go back in your hole. only reason any of these psuedo, over-the-hill or wanna bes come out with their soul searching confessions is publicity. your done face it.

Pookie

I'm from New Orleans and grew up in the 80's and we were all COKED up!!!!!! Good times!

Quinn

What an awesome actor. Still a total bass ass.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments