Catherine Zeta-Jones

Hospitalized for Bipolar Disorder

4/13/2011 3:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Catherine Zeta-Jones has reportedly entered a mental health treatment center for a bipolar disorder ... despite her rep squarely denying the story to TMZ.

0413-catherine-zeta-jones-bn

One of Catherine's reps now tells People.com, "After dealing with the stress of the past year, Catherine made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder."

We're told Catherine had been in Silver Hill Hospital in Connecticut for treatment, but she has checked out.

0413_catherine_zeta_jones_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

LBjim

I wish Catherine we4ll. She is a beautiful and talented person. I am glad she got help, poor thing, has been dealing with a lot. Catherine is strong and will be back...

Loving Monterey

I can finally this (for once) about someone in Hollywood. I don't think that this is for publicity.

Maybe she does have some sort of nervous abnormality. This would explain her outburst when she was screaming at the reporters and accusing them of hitting her.

The reporters were no where near her and she looked possessed.

I hope that she gets better.

NS

i am glad to hear that she is getting help. My cousin who was bi-polar recently lost her battle with the horrible diese and it has devastated my entire family. I wouldn't want another family to have to go through that. GOOD FOR YOU MRS. JONES!!!

Iam

She's nothing but a spoiled rich b*tch!!!!

CloBird

I am disgusted by the many IGNORANT,IMMATURE,UNINFORMED and UNEDUCATED posts here.
Before anyone posts things perhaps they should take the time to STUDY and do RESEARCH on this subject. It is because of such IGNORANCE as shown here that many people who are in need of mental health care do not go out and get help.The field of psychiatry is a relatively new one;doctors are on beginning to understand the many disorders and illnesses that affect the mind and body.Bipolar II is a depression triggered by extremely difficult cir***stances.Bipolar disorder, a mental illness marked by elevated or irritable moods alternating with periods of depression, afflicts about 6 million Americans. Those with Bipolar II tend to have more depression, with the mood swings spread over a longer time and the "up" periods less elevated. The episodes can be triggered by major stress or life changes.
Dr. David Miklowitz, professor of psychiatry at UCLA School of Medicine, says stress "definitely can play a role" in triggering depression or what doctors call hypomania, short periods of mild manias.

“Certain life events, changes, particularly those that affect the sleep cycle, can trigger symptoms," says Miklowitz. "An event like a loss experience or family conflict can be a cause or a trigger of bipolar episodes." from People Magazine
Zeta-Jones has had a past yer of ups and downs--winning a Tony and watching her husband fight Stage 4 cancer.Stage 4 cancer is the worst stage of the disease;Douglas could have died.

Also an issue is the ignorant people who call Catherine a gold-digger.These people obviously don't know Zeta-Jones.She was successful before she met Douglas.There also is a prenuptial contract where both parties have protected their own monies.Jones and Douglas are together because they love each other.There is no gold-digging here.

mimi brown

Leave her alone!

AV92656

Everybody is bipolar! I lost my father, grandfather and brother-in-law all in 8 months - I became bipolar too, just ask my spouse. Jeez...I feel another celebrity 'book' coming...

pinkywhitehead

Yay a little med change only takes a few days any ways. The good thing is she has successfully managed her illness until know. Stress is the main trigger in that illness and cancer of a loved one can do that to you. It just goes to show you that when given the right medical care people with that illness can lead sane and productive lives. SHe should be proud that she didn't end up like Charlie Sheen running all over the place going crazy on every one. Seriously get that guy on some Serequel, Lithium something fast before he does something more awful that starve pets to death.

LaLa

This is a total invasion of her privacy. If she is doing the responsible thing by getting help for herself, she is mocked for it? Is she supposed to suffer in silence & not get help for something that is in no way her own fault?

Colt

This broad was an unknown till she trapped Douglas. Her acting is terrible. Just another phony. Never liked her, never will no matter what she has. Seems every Hollyweirdo has something or another.

Saultxyca

Your medical history and 'hospitalizations' are a personal and private matter that is protected by law. How did Zeta-Jones' recent treatment for alleged bipolar disorder II become everyone's business and a public domain conversation? That is scary and sad because Zeta-Jones checked herself in, for heaven's sake. It sounds like Zeta-Jones is being stalked, over and above the trespass of her medical privacy.

Margaret

I personally met Catherine when she was expecting her first child. We spent enough time together for me to absolutely, undoubtedly see that she is NOT bipolar. I hope the public will be gentle, sit back and review all that she's been through over the last couple of years. Coming myself from the film industry, it's ruthless and exhausting. Dear girl just needs some rest, insulation from the gossip and reassurance that she is not going to lose the love of her life. The public is bipolar, not Catherine!!!!!

Peat Moss

Catherine Zeta Jones is NOT bi-polar. She is bi-winning!

Michele Veenker

I admire Catherine for her candid disclosure of a very personal matter. I know it is a long shot, but I would like to invite Ms. Zeta Jones to join my NAMIWalk team on May 20th, 2012 in Portland, Oregon. I have changed careers to support my daughter with bipolar disorder, fight discrimination and offer support to people with mental illnesses. Her attendance would go far to help us! She can join my team at http://www.nami.org/namiwalks12/NOR/butterflies.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9