« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Brasil

Did he say it to an actually gay person. I don't know but he probably didn't. If he called a non hispanic person a spic, is he calling all hispanic people spic or if he called a catholic person a k.i.k.e. is he calling it to people whos' religion are jew. No. He said it as a curse not to a community of people. He was cursing one person. My gosh. If someone called someone else a mutt, I'm not going to get mad. But that's me. He was not calling a homosexual person a f..f., .

Flyboy

There is no such thing as not having responsibility of what you say, which is what some of you seem to believe. We all have the responsibility of our language. If you say something offensive you get checked for it. That's how a civil society works. Nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Sammie

Good.

Flyboy

Brasil, it's not about who he said it to. It's about the word itself. And the context it was used. The word itself is homophobic. He can say it to a heterosexual, or one person. The word itself is offensive. The way he used it was to offend. That's what needs to be remembered. It's not about KOBE the man, but his actions.

Brasil

@ Flyboy
Listen what some of you don't get is that the only and I mean only person who should be mad is the referre and I'm sure he got cussed at many a times before. He is the only person that should be mad. Not whole communties and worlds and all this ****. Damn. And not all people can control what they say in the heat of anger. Had he went to the locker room and cursed, punch and got all that out. He probably wouldn't of said it b/c he would of done said it in the locker room. And yes when you say **** to people of course they will react and that too, you can't control. When I curse someone I don't expect them to be alright with it. And I'm not mad that I just go off and curse people, if i curse you you probably did something to me personally that I would have to use said words on you. And when I'm cursing I don't check my words. B/c that's between me and that person. Not communities and the world.

Flyboy

Richard, the big stink is that a group of citizens were verbally denigrated. But, being self-absorbed, you probably can't realize the issue here because it's only about you.

MacGuffin, gay people are victims of hate speech on an every day basis. Which is the issue. Which is why they are speaking out.

Hunter5150, we have bigger things to worry about than the equality and freedoms of an entire group of legal citizens? What the gay community has had to go through is un-American. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom FROM responsibility. We are all responsible for our language.

If you had respect for gay people, you wouldn't trivialize what they go through nor use anti-gay language. Don't expect respect if you don't give any.

DrkAnjl

#149. It always amazes me that homosexual advocacy organizations (and some individuals) compare their plight directly to that of race-based oppressed minorities. This is an inaccuracy that is rarely addressed, simply because unfair treatment is WRONG in any case--but that doesn't make the comparisons accurate. Homosexuality is a sexual preference/predisposition, just like heterosexuality, and like heterosexuality, it transcends all borders of race and ethnicity. If you're gay and caucasian, do you suffer the same discrimination as someone who is gay and Black, or Gay and Mexican, or gay and Armenian??? No. Racial bias always supercedes, because it cannot be hidden or played down or denied to mitigate societies biases. Heterosexuality/Homosexuality is as universal as existence, and is a simple matter of populational percentages--NOT equivalent to being a racial minority--which can ADDITIONALLY reap the tragic consequences of discrimination based on biologically predisposed homosexuality. In other words, homosexuality is a characteristic of the human organism--not the organism itself. Just because you're gay doesn't make you any less special than if you were born "straight"--BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU ANY MORE SPECIAL EITHER.

Flyboy

Here is the thing, Brasil. Out of all the insults Kobe could have used, he used fa**ot. Out of all the insults most people use, fa**ot is the one they use. There is a reason for that. And it's not because people love gays. I don't buy the "I can't control myself" line, because that shows a lack of control. Which is, again, a personal issue. Out of all the words that could have been used, he used the f-word. I can understand the intent, yeah, I was trying to offend this one person using a word to cut them down. But, the word used is an anti-gay slur. Think about that. And the mentality behind that.

MD

I am so sick of whiny people. So, someone got offended. Lets just make a long list of words that people can't say, cause if might hurt somebody's feelings. Oh boo hoo. That is why there are so many wusses in the world. Political correctness is so out of control! Where is the First Admendment? It only protects you if you say something that doesn't "offend" anyone.

Mikal2

A rapist/adulterer. He should be benched for the rest of the season. It's players like this, Dennis Rodman included that make me not want to watch this sport anymore.

gceo7

FURTHERMORE, KOBE IS NOT A HOMOPHOBE, NOR IS HE ANTI-GAY. WHAT HE IS - IS THE BEST F******G BASKETBALL PLAYER GOD EVER CREATED! DON'T TRY TO MAKE THE HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA ON HIS BACK OR OVER THE FACT THAT HE IS A PUBLIC FIGURE, LIKE THE REST OF US HE'S HUMAN AND WE ALL USE THE WORD, ESPECIALLY TO DENOTE DISPLEASURE WITH THE ACTIONS OF ANOTHER,MAINLY IN JEST. IT IS FUNNY! YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE MY SENSE OF HUMOR. IT DOEST MEAN WE ARE TARGETING THE GAY MOVEMENT BY DOING SO. NO ONE HAS MONOPOLY OVER LANGUAGE. EVERYONE KNOWS THE CONTEXT IN WHICH HIS COMMENTS WERE RENDERED. YOU WILL ONLY SUCCEED IN FURTHER ALIENATING THE PEOPLE WHOM ARE ALREADY SOMEWHAT AVERSE TO THE INSIPID DEMAGOGUERY OF THE HOMOSEXUAL MOVEMENT AND MIGHT I ADD, PEOPLE WHOM ARE CRUCIAL TO THE SUCCESS OF YOUR CAUSE! YOUR MISCALCULATING AS TO WHICH BATTLES TO FIGHT AND WHICH TO AVOID OR ASSUAGE, IS THE REASON YOU HAVEN'T ACHIEVED YOUR GOALS AS YET, AND COMPARING YOUR MOVEMENT TO THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT,,,A BIG MISTAKE! THE ONLY WAY SOMEONE KNOWS A GAY PERSON IS GAY, IS IF THE GAY PERSON TELLS THEM, AND THEN MAYBE, MAYBE, YOU GET STEREOTYPED OR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST, BUT YOU KNOW I'M BLACK UPON SIGHT! AS MY BEAUTIFUL SKIN INDICTS ME, AND THE DISCRIMINATION AND RACISM AGAINST ME IS INHERENT, ENGENDERED AND INSTITUTIONAL...STILL TO THIS DAY. HOMOSEXUALS DO NOT SUFFER INHERENT DISCRIMINATION! BY THE WAY - I'VE YET TO SEE HISTORICAL CONTEXT OF INSTITUTIONALIZED HOMOSEXUAL ENSLAVEMENT! SMFH. SO PLEASE STOP WITH THE COMPARISONS TO THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT - ITS DISRESPECTFUL TO MY ANCESTRY AND I DON'T APPRECIATE IT AT ALL!...MY SUGGESTION TO HOMOSEXUALS: "MOVE ON!" ITS NOTHING TO SEE HERE WITH KOBE'S EPHEMERAL COMMENTS. FIGHT THE REAL BATTLES. YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO AT THE BASKETBALL FANS OF AMERICA...LEAVE OUR SPORT OUT OF YOUR ISSUE. TAKE IT TO YOUR CONSTITUENCY, WHERE IT BELONGS. YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE PEOPLES MINDS, BUT YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL AT CHANGING PEOPLES POSTURING. SO DO THAT, BE SATISFIED WITH THAT AND BE HAPPY IN YOUR LIVES...BUT LEAVE ME AND MY SPORT THE F*** OUT OF IT! PLEASE!ENOUGH ALREADY!

PEACE N LOVE!

Flyboy

DrkAnji, you are really reaching in your attempts to justify anti-gay discrimination. Really reaching. The whole "racial groups are one solid group who can't hide who they are" in fact hurts your overall argument. The fact gay people have been expected to hide their sexuality has HARMED their communities' efforts. The fact homosexual sexual orientation transcends all factions of society means there is LESS of a natural connection and togetherness in the gay community. Which, again, HARMS them. And the fact most parts of society have discriminated against gay people means a lot of gay people do not have anywhere to turn, which is HARMFUL. Sexual orientation, unlike race, is a mental trait inherently. So, homophobia literally does mental damage to a persons' psyche.

Ultimately, there is no comparison. Discrimination is discrimination, and it is all wrong, regardless of who it's against.

DrkAnjl

You can't legislate anger. When people have arguments or get in fights with someone, they're directing their anger at that one person. Anger is VERY SPECIFIC--you're not thinking of all of Ireland when some azzwipe Irish dude breaks a bottle over your head in a barfight and you unleash a string of threats that include a reference to his Irish heritage. It is simply that at those moments of rage and violence, EVERYTHING about your specific adversary becomes a source of disdain--NOT all redheads, or all Irishman, or all alcoholics, or all short men, or all homosexuals--but faced with an azzhole with all these characteristics, they very well might fly out of your mouth in a negative sense...DUH!!! You could be fighting a Polar Bear from Wisconsin and find yourself shouting "You white, cold-loving, seal-eating, cheese eating, Green Bay Packing, ****ting-on-an-iceberg, sonuvab!tch!!! COME GET SOME!!" Again, it's all about ONE person (or bear) that pizzed you off, not everyone else. Get a ticket, and it's "You red-faced, doughnut-eating, ray ban wearing, speed-trap hiding, Black-man beating, high-speed-chasing, wife abusing piece of **** COP!!! Get over it homos. OH GOD, IS THAT A BAD WORD?!? Call me a hetero, I don't give a crap--I AM! I dson't feel it's an insult to be referred to as myself.

Flyboy

gceo7, your long winded rant failed the SECOND you said gay people aren't discriminated against. Get real. The black community does not hold any authority on who isn't or is discriminated against, and to believe you do, as a mixed individual myself, solely because of your skin color, is insulting beyond belief. You are insulting in your attempts to trivialize what gay people go through, and you are insulting in putting a f*cking GAME over the LIVELIHOODS of legal citizens.

You and your basketball peeps want to be homophobic, you will be called out for it. End of.

Brasil

What are heterosexual slurs. I would like to know. When can straight people say that's an heterosexual slur if a homosexual person say something to them. And they get fined. Do they have no consequences. What? like being homosexual give you a free pass to be offended for any and everthing.