« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

DrkAnjl

Flyboy, I observe and reflect on the world around me. I readily admit that a person who is AWARE is rare today, but I happen to be one of those people. I am in the arts, and a fan of halloween, so gay people aren't in any way alien or frightening to me--they're just people who were born with a different sexual orientation, nothing less, nothing more. The only area in my life where sexual orientation matters, is with whom I choose in a mate--if she's a lesbian, that could make things considerably more challenging, lol. I do believe that hypersensitivity can be seriously counterproductive to any cause. There is a distinct difference between hate speech directed at people based on their race or sexual orientation, and commonplace epithets/insults which are part of the fluid nature of language that so often ventures distinctly away from it's roots. There are enough definitions and variations on the meaning of the word "f.a.g.g.o.t." that one could choose to find it unoffensive, even as a gay man, depending upon how it was used, and to whom it was directed. If we KNOW a word was directed in anger as an insult to a single individual, and that this word is commonly used without any conscious reference to actual homosexuals, then it's not hate speech, it's angry speech--people sometimes make us angry, and not everyone reverts to the most civilized, or politically correct version of the Queen's English when they're angry, right? Cursing and "anger speech" should be a protected form of speech as well, as anger is legally recognized as an altered state of mind--or else there wouldn't be a separate category for "crimes of passion" in our judicial system. Most of us get angry at people one at a time...it takes an especially crazy individual to pick fights with entire worldwide communities based on upsetting incidents in our daily life. "I was overcharged for my Gummi Bears!...those sauerkraut eating, golden-shower-loving, Volkswagon making, freakin' nazi GERMANS!!!! CURSE THEM ALL TO HELL" Silly, right. More like "That fat beeyotch/dumb beeyotch/blonde beeyotch cashier overhcarged me! (oh wait, does that mean I hate all overweight, stupid or blonde women now?!?)

Flyboy

Put on your big-boy pants ubernood? LOL. Adults don't use immature language like this. Adults have control of their actions. Adults aren't hateful, and have empathy and respect for others. You, however, are clearly not mature. So I guess that this response is of no surprise.

Brasil

@ Flyboy
You are more offended than the gladd people. I'm going to stick to my opinion, it not being yours. A referre put an athlete to sit down, i don't know sports words; but anyway a referre sent an athlete to his seat, the athlete got angry threw his towel and then cursed that referre. Now every tom, **** and harry is mad. And it seems for now that the person insulted could care less. And now everyone is getting involved. I'm sure the referre himself is wondering what the hell is going on.

Brasil

@ Flyboy
Who are you and what world do you live in; but adults do this and that. Are you even an adult. B/c adult do do this and that. Yes adults are hateful and don't have respect for others. They may not be that way all the time but they are that way some of the time. If adults were as perfect as you put it, we would live in a perfect adult world.

Zra

how gay

Rabinowitz The Hebe

Kobe wasn't denigrating any group or any gay person in particular. In the heat of the moment during a sporting event he called a ref a fa**ot. Big deal, the Nancy Boys need to quit the insufferable squealing over this non event.

I imagine in the heat of the moment, during an argument with a 'boyfriend' just about every gay guy has screamed this out one time or another. The sun kept rising in the east, and the world didn't come to an end. Grow a pair, and find something of significance to be outraged over, like hunger or poverty in America.

Sonya

Are u kidding me? This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen! Leave him alone who cares if he called someone a ***got! Doesn't mean he's a homophobe just means he was pissed and said something out of anger. Something I think all of us has done.

Flyboy

I'm more offended that about half of the people who respond to this think it's somehow not unacceptable to use anti-gay slurs, Brasil. I'm going to say it one more time, it's not who the word is directed to that matters, but the word and context itself that matters.

Chad, any anti-gay slur is wrong. Being anti-gay is wrong. It's all wrong, which is my point. It's all wrong. None of it is acceptable. None of it should be justified as OK.

knows.the.truth

To think he was only asking for a cigarette from an English guys! This ridiculous!!! Why don't they just take his head off at the neck? What ridiculous BS this is.

ubernoob

flyboi. the thing is i dont whine and cry over spilled milk. i wear big boy pants. just cause you take it up the pooper does not make you speical more then the next person

Flyboy

Adults aren't perfect but we should all strive to make the world a better place. Making excuses for anti-gay slurs isn't doing that. There is NO REASON to excuse this. There is NO REASON to use fa**ot when you could just say stupid, and there is NO REASON to go out of your way to defend the usage of this word. No-one is perfect, but we all have the responsibility to make the most of ourselves. All of this defending BS over a word that you could just NOT USE.

AH64DRVR

Good for Kobe. He has appealed the fine and hopefully will not have to pay it. Eventually we are gonna be given a new politically correct dictionary and be told what words we can say and what we can't. Anybody here ever here of the first amendment. I don't think it includes a sensitivity clause.

Flyboy

The thing really is, ubernoob, that I don't "take it up the pooper", and you definitely should check why exactly you have male anal sex on your mind.

BTW, I never said anyone was special. What I did say was that it is immature to use this type of language, and any defense of it. Again, you have proven just how much you do lack maturity, and that isn't having your big boy pants on.

ubernoob

per flyboi lets all come together and sit in a circle and worship gay people. she is proof you should not breast feed your children till 12 years old

Flyboy

AH64DRVR, take a civics class. First amendment is about government. It has nothing to do with responsibility of your own speech. If you say something irresponsible, you have to take responsibility. Common sense.

Also, Kobe is going to pay the fine. Rarely do the NBA retract fines, and they have no reason to do so here. And you're right, good for Kobe. For apologizing and sending a positive message of acceptance and trying to right his wrongs. You could learn from him.