« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

sullins22

LOOK UP THE DEFINITION OF ***GET- is it really a slur or are these guys acting like a bunch of bundles of sticks?!

Brasil

I bet if Kobe wins the big game , the one they get the trophy for, all would be forgiven.

Josephina

While I think the uproar over the one word has been a little excessive, I do think celebrities and athletes should be held accountable for their actions. But the LGBT groups are being kind of oversensitive, in my opinion. It's not that I'm against gay people, I just think it makes them look whiny when groups get upset like this.

Josephina

Besides, he can easily afford such a small fine. I think anyone who makes such excessive amounts of money should get fined once in a while. :P

Rabinowitz The Hebe

Flyboy...I simply find it amusing that a non event like this is causing such an uproar. Please tell me how 'This Kobe issue' has personally caused distress to you today. I'm not interested in anything previously, but only what harm Kobe has caused you today.

I will continue to be outraged over things like hunger or poverty that cause issues like survival, daily to billions worldwide. Now someone in an uproar over Kobe 'mouthing' a slur in the heat of the moment during a sporting event, I will tell that person to get his big boy panties on, and grow a thicker skin.

We ALL at one time or another have said something to someone, or had someone say something to ourselves that was inappropriate. 99% get over it, the other 1% nothing will ever help them get over it. This isn't a utopia we live in, it's just life, and sometimes its not fair...But get over it, or have a 'word' consume your being.

Brasil

@ peggy
Actually no one need to be put on a pedestal. Their are policemen who racially discriminate, teachers who sleep with students, paramedics who don't help the sick. So in my opinion no person need be put on a pedestal b/c people of all professions mess up. My niece loves hannah montana and I've told her that Miley Cyrus is not Hannah Montana she plays a character on tv, so when you see stuff about her in the papers their not talking about hannah their talking about Miley. So before we go on about the youth, you should teach the youth around you to not put anyone on a pedestal and that's that celebrity, athlete, singer, etc job and not them in real life. My niece is 5 and she gets that, however i don't expect every child to get that. I like some singers and i don't like them in real life, i love their songs but not them as a person.It's not athletes job to teach the youth morality, it's like when parents use tv or multiple toys as a babysitter instead of them watching their kids; athletes are not the youths parents, .

mjc

This is completely insane. Mass hysteria and a $100k fine for saying f ag got? Does everyone really need to be so hyper sensitive? It's ridiculous - step back from the ledge people.

Flyboy

Josephina, it's not whining. In fact, it's the opposite. It's standing up, making a stand, being strong, and not taking no for an answer. What Kobe did was wrong. Therefore, an apology was needed and an example needed to be made that showed people that no, these words are not acceptable to use. That is what has happened. GLAAD commands and demands respect, and they usually get it, because people realize the repercussions if they don't.

Sullins22, fa**ot does=bundle of sticks. The reason it is connected to the gay community is because gay men were burned at the stake in olden times. Their bodies were used as ashes and sticks. So, that is why the gay community is sensitive about this word. It is a word that is inherently anti-gay.

Angela, he did apologize, because he realized what he did WAS wrong. And, guess what. If 9 out of 10 people use this language, 9 out of 10 people have issues they need to address. Freedom of speech does not mean you don't have responsibility of your own language. Using hate speech such as this is unacceptable and Kobe is taking responsibility of his irresponsible actions. That is how things work in a civil society. So Angela, get over the excuses, and stop justifying hateful terminology, because it is NEVER acceptable.

Joe, is it somehow OK to slur a group of people because you don't know someone from that group personally? What a BAD excuse for hateful language.

Joe, why are gays so sensitive? Are you denigrated for who you are on a daily basis? No? OK. So you have no idea what gay people go through. Therefore, you have no right to be critical of them. Talk to me when you are treated with a complete lack of respect because of your sexuality, Joe.

BigmoneyBleezy

TMZ needs to drastically change their comment setup so we can have decent conversations. I would try to post something intelligent but I know its worthless, considering the web design.

jswife2008

Kobe's "victim" had two other men's semen in her panties and emails prove that she told friends how great he was in bed. I do believe that the pure "snow white" was tainted long before she sashayed into Kobe's room in the middle of the night.

mojo

eff the ennbeeaye

mojo

let me spell that out for you fyouseekay the nba

mojo

i blame the cameramen for hawk eyeing kobes every move. i know for a fact these guys swear constantly during play. its only a big deal because it eas caught on camera. sorry kobe, idk why ppl gotta be such f u c k ing fa g gots

nickstar

I hate the Lakers and I hate Kobe Bryant, but HEY GAY COMMUNITY HOW ABOUT YOU NOT CRY ABOUT A ****ING WORD. Im so sick of people crying over **** like this. HE made a slur towards someone that wasnt even gay. Who gives a rats ass? How old are we?

spliffsmommy

hmmm..so if you are a ***got(perez hilton made it ok to call someone a ***got)its ok then? azz clowns need to untwist their panties..