« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Tina P.

Oh yeah, right! Kobe raped that chick, really? He has millions and he has to rape someone? He simply did her from behind, & tried to pay her off with a hundred dollar bill...he's guilty of being CHeap. That is all.

ubernoob

why dont we send all the gay's to a island. you are gay SO WHAT. stop acting like you should be bowed to!

Tamara H

I know Vanessa is going to be mad!

Justin

All of you complaining about Kobe are the definition of the modern term "****ing ***gots". Get off your high horse, acting like you never do anything questionable. I've heard worse **** come out of your kids mouths.

en Todo Momento!!

wow!! TMZ, this is just awesome!! a 'report' feature for the comments? man, this is my dream come true!! mightymad, i'm on yer ass, now! you better be careful about what you post.

S

I also don't think they would suspend him for that because then they'd lose $$ from ticket sales for people that would've went just to see him. It's all about the $$ ..
He obviously knows 100K to Kobe is nothing, but 100K in drop in sales to the NBA might be kinda bad.

Mytylove1222

Imagine if they fined for the use of the N word!

Superman

Pffft, that's like making him play a quarter for free. I really hate the NBA for their double standards between the 'elite' players and with everybody else. Make no mistake, the NBA is more upset that Kobe insulted a NBA ref than for the content of the slur. However, I bet if a white player called Kobe the 'N-word', then there would be a huge backlash from the NBA because the NBA is like 90% black!!!

Justin

#38 They have an island like that, it's called Australia.

Quinn

I don't really see it as that big a deal, and obviously it's not because 100k is a drop in the bucket for Bryant.

Sometimes people say stuff when they're pissed. doesn't mean he meant it literally.

Give the money to the Gay Lesbian Alliance? Give me a break. instead.

Brasil

@ OKS
What does him being black have to do with anything.

mousetrap

You have to be freakin kidding me. Fined for the word f_ggot? That word was a staple when I was a kid. Everyone called each other a f_ggot when they were acting like a wuss or puss. We weren't even thinking gay, it just meant you were a wimp. Oh dear Lord.

Chris Hays

Money means nothing to trash like Kobe. I am sure he is just laughing. I think he should have to referee a few televised games (college or high school) to see just how tough it is. Maybe then he would respect people, but I doubt it.

Big Daddy

Them little candy asses don't like hearing those words thrown around their sexually confused asses. Had I been Kobe, and knew I was going to get fined like that even with an appology. I'd have said ten times worse, and blow me for an appology. Can't they blurb that stuff out, like they do in other programming?

en Todo Momento!!

well they gotta find some way to put that man in place. he has not adhered to even one single law or rule yet! great news to hear that morally conscious law abiders make sure garbage like kobe learn the HARDDD way!!! HAAAARRRDDD!! HARD HARD!!! HARD HARD!!! LOL!! HARD!!