« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

john5oregon

I would have fined him WAY more than 100k. I'd make him donate a cool million to a gay rights group.

josh

this is being BLOWN WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.

i do not condone the use of the word at all. definitely tasteless but it was not like it were a live interview and he said it then. you couldnt even HEAR him say it...and the guy was legitimately angry. you guys need to relax.

i doubt any gay people were watching you think a gay person is gonna be watching lakers v spurs on tnt at 9pm when glee is on?

Brasil

Obviously he had to apologize for PR purposes, if it was me and I had to pay $100k and then you expect me to apologize. Then F you f.a.g.o.t.s. I'm not going to get fined and then apologize and then my apology is not good enough for you. F off.

Bill

Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got"

Kobe....they read your lips stupid!! Learn how to talk without moving your mouth!!

Tyler

I guess the makers of The Hangover should be forced to pay a fine to because of the "Paging Dr. ***got. Dr. ***got!" line. It's just word get over it. Besides what the hell ever happen to freedom of speech. This is America, and people can say whatever they want regardless of how offensive it is.

Gsharon 710

So the hell what? People make mistakes, but because it was captured, the fine was not so bad. Now the whinning bfers can shut the hell up.
Get back on your high horses, and ride the hell out of here.

Sam

We cannot tolerate the use of hate speech from those that we establish as role models or icons. Kobe sells clothing, sports equipment and was working toward being a legend in his industry.

We cannot sacrifice the integrity of the youth of a nation in order to satisfy the lust of a criminal act.

Hate speech is a crime against freedom, liberty and all we hold dear. We must not allow abuse of any kind against race, sexual orientation or religious affiliation. We must defend our rights to live freely without fearing persecution based on who we are.

Flyboy

tigerblood, my #2 best friend is gay, and he loves the Charlotte Bobcats. So yes, gays watch basketball and even if they didn't, it's still not acceptable to denigrate legal citizens.

All of you people saying get over it. The gay community will "get over it" the second you get over your bigotry. Until then, expect consequences for your behavior.

Arthur

What's the big deal? Maybe the guy is. If I was Queer I would not mind being called that.
Could even b a compliment.

Guy

But if he said something anti-Semitic I'm sure there would be no fine. So we fine people for saying a word but protesting funerals is protected speech? Okay......

Sam

Being called f**** from Kobe is the same as being called f***** from the President.

Birdsht

congrats to the genetic mongloids and ultra ugly. You got what you wanted. EXPOSURE TO REMIND US ITS OK TO STROKE YOUR OWN SEX.

Quinn

#95

saying the word f&ggot is NOT hate speech.

tigerblood

Flyboy - what are my consequences? Please enlighten me.

janet