« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bill

Hell....1/2 the gay community was probably waiting outside the stadium for the refs just in case Kobe was telling the truth.

Quinn

#98

Why don't you think an anti-semetic remark wouldn't get a fine.

Dr.Dave

Why should anyone be surprised by anything that Bryant does. This guy paid his way out of a sexual assault. He is one of many professional athletes who believe the world revolves around them and that the rules don't apply. The only thing worse than his stupid slur is that he says he didn't mean to offend anyone. He's just such a great guy isn't he. What sickens me about sports fans (including all the suck-up radio and tv commentators) is how many fans will overlook grotesque, disgusting, and even criminal behavior because he is such a good basketball player or such a good golfer.

Adam Carroll

This is Bull****, why should we as a people be forced to like others whose very lifestyle we find offensive. It'n not like racism or anything. Their god given plubming dosn't line up and I don't think it should be morally acceptable in society. I don't want my kids being exposed to Gay lifestyles and think that the behavior is acceptable. If they want to do it in the privacy of their own home, thats fine with me, but don't make me and like minded people have to accept it!!!!

Flyboy

Tyler, say fire at a movie theater tonight. Then tell me if you can say "whatever you want". Call you're boss if you have a job a fa**ot. Do that and repeat that "say whatever I want" line.

GSharon710, no-one is riding any high-horse, no, more like there are some people with decency towards others, and some who don't. Guess we see which side you reside on.

And no, Brasil, I'm sorry is not good enough. And hey, if you want to use anti-gay slurs, f**k you too. But don't expect respect if you give none. Why people like you think gay folks are patsies, I don't know, but those days are over.

Sam

The country he is playing in, the United States was formed, was founded by people seeking freedom from abuse and persecution. The country he is playing basketball in was founded in order to give her citizens a chance at living a life without fearing hatred because of their beliefs.

Kobe is guilty of a hate crime and should be charged for what he has done, just like anyone else. This is a crime against America.

gceo7

THIS IS UNMITIGATED PANDERING TO THE LGBT COMMUNITY! Tracey Morgan said it best "If you can take a d--- you should be able to take a joke! THIS IS BULL****!

Kitty

Oh boo hoo, he said f*ggot. Dear Lord, I've been called worse in my day. Grow some thick skin people.

mousetrap

You are an IDIOT...it's called FREE SPEECH. I don't see any LAWS that say you can't say f*ggot...or N*gg*r...people are just to damned sensitive. Get over it...it's just a word and only hurts if you let it hurt.

FREE SPEECH, FREE SPEECH, FREE SPEECH...you know that thing that GLAAD using in order to protest all the right, they use their right to protest and FREE SPEECH but yet constantly try to take that right away from everyone that isn't like them. I'm getting sick of it. I want EQUAL rights for everyone but it's upsetting when people I fight for them to have equal rights take away the rights of someone else.

DAVID STERN YOU ARE A JOKE!!!! I'm not a Kobe fan but this **** is just stupid. Next they will be fining every player that says "f*cking p*ssy" I see players using offensive language all the time...FINE THEM ALL THEN FINE ALL THE FANS IN THE ARENA USING WORSE LANGUAGE.

Posted at 3:27 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by justsaying23
________________________________________
Freedom of speech isn't going to apply here. People like to think they can say whatever they want wherever they want. You can't. The whole thing is still stupid, though.

hunter5150

wow. how far are we going to go with this. were suppose to see gays right to be gay and express themselfs but they cant respect anyone elses right to freedom of speech. people need to get over it. we have bigger things in this country to worry about than gays.

Peaches

wow 100k........that's change to him! ! ! ! .....he's a phoney, cheater, test him for HIV! ! ! ...woman hater.......He should be suspended for the rest of the season......but its all about money, honey....and he makes it for the team owners etc........he's still a liar, phoney, cheat.....I hope he gets sickle cell! ! !

MacGuffin

This is the problem with America and Americans.

Someone is always going to find a way to feel/be offended. Then become the victim.

How much do you want to bet that no one even watched the game last night and wouldn't have even know about this comment unless TMZ or someone else didn't make a thing of it?

Brasil

You know we should get a list of all the words we can't say. Especially seeing as how these words were invented not too long ago. Watch any 1950's movie and the word Gay used to mean Happy. and now it's for homosexuals. People change the meaning of words all the time. I think most of us would be mute if we got fined for what we regular people say. I want to know if there are straight people offensive words that if gay people used, they get fined. And I'm sure the referre didn't take it that way. Shouldn't he be the one mad cause it was him that was being cursed at. And if he's not taking it so serious why are some of you.

Richard

Some people are just so touchy touchy. I don't see what all the big stink is about.

PSYOP

Obviously he had to apologize for PR purposes, if it was me and I had to pay $100k and then you expect me to apologize. Then F you f.a.g.o.t.s. I'm not going to get fined and then apologize and then my apology is not good enough for you. F off.

Posted at 3:32 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by Brasil