« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe

Fined $100k

'Offensive and Inexcusable'

4/13/2011 6:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant was just fined $100k by the NBA for his homophobic slur at the Lakers game last night.

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-7-credit-1
NBA Commissioner David Stern says, "Kobe Bryant’s comment during last night’s game was offensive and inexcusable. "

He continues, "While I’m fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated.  Accordingly, I have fined Kobe $100,000.  Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" after getting a technical foul during the game.

FYI -- according to Forbes.com, Kobe made an estimated $48 million last year in salary and endorsements.

UPDATE: A rep for the Human Rights Campaign -- an LGBT civil rights organization -- tells TMZ, "We applaud Commissioner Stern and the NBA for not only fining Bryant but for recognizing that slurs and derogatory comments have no place on the basketball court or in society at large."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Flyboy

It is hate speech, Quinn. It IS hate speech, and that is because the word is homophobic in nature. Period. It's not your word to decide whether or not it's offensive, it's the gay communities'.

Tigerblood, consequences include social condemnation, social shunning, media condemnation, and potentially lawsuits. Games are over, buddy. You push someone too far, and they attack back.

BigDik

Can't believe he said that, what a queer! LMAO

thestones

Which is how I would describe LeBron's mom.

Tyler

I wouldn’t consider Kobe a role model. I role model is someone you actually know, not a famous basketball player. That’s part of the problem with this society we allow famous people to be idolized when we the real contributors of our society don’t get an ounce of recognition.

Flyboy

Adam Carroll, what you don't seem to realize is that being anti-gay is wrong and is a choice in belief, so you really aren't entitled to anything. You can BELIEVE what you want. But that's the extent of it. If you think you have any right to tell others what is right or wrong, how to live, or what to do with their lives, you have another thing coming.

dd

@Peaches u need an education, he get's a physical every year, all cheaters do not get HIV, AND U DON'T CATCH SICKLE CELL IT IS HEREDITARY....wow go back to school!

thestones

@119

That's all well and good. But when I watch the video...I don't think he's saying "gay"? Little bit of a difference.

BB

14. There is no such thing as hate speech in the United States.
The supreme court says that Kansas church has the right to do what they do offensive or not. That constiutes FREE speech.

So he said something to offend some people, we wouldn't even know it if it wouldn't be for GLADD getting their panties in a wad.

Get a grip, once again PC BS.

GumCuzzler

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I thought he went up that hotel workers booty, she wasn't into it, and that was what his trial about? You like booty Kobe, it's ok; you don't have to explain it to me. Hypocrisy.

Brasil

@ Flyboy
Well then F me flyboy b/c I wouldn't of apologize and I have called straight men that when I'm cursing them and I wasn't calling them gay. I was cursing at them. Just like when I say B.i.t.ch. I'm not callin you a female dog. I'm cursing you. ****, you got to walk on egg shells these days for every ****. And yes we know that we can't say fire @ the movie theather and bomb on a plane bc that would endanger people. Did he endanger you when he cursed the referre.

T

What happened to free speech in this country? I'm gay. I could care less what Kobe says. People need to stop acting like victims and just live their lives.

dd

@131 are u a virgin? Just because a man is behind u doesn't mean it's that hole....If u haven't had sex b4 don't comment...Geez.

GalacticCannibal

WOW this just confirms American Hypocrisy. When a Basket Ball Player mouths some so called expletives. He is fines $100,000
But when the US Pres Bush orders our military to attack IRAQ resulting in thousands of troop deaths and tens thousands of maimed troops , he is not fined.

WAY NOT TO GO Hypocritical America.

DrkAnjl

I don't advocate intolerance or hate speech; however, while pursuing my degree in English over 20 years ago, I became acutely aware that language is a living thing, that words take on new meanings and alternate meanings down through time. An etymologist, as well as most American adults would agree that the term "f*ggot" is not an epithet exclusively reserved for those genuinely believed to be homosexual, but that it has a more generalized definition equivalent to calling someone a punk, a p*ssy, a jerk, or a jack-ass. Like the word "gay" (which originally meant happy, not homosexual) the word "f*ggot" has an original meaning unrelated to homosexuality, which is "bundle of sticks or twigs" or "to bind up" or "smoldering stick." and even "ornamental stitchery." In England, it's common terminology for a cigarette. At some point in American history, it came to be associated negatively with homosexual men, but has since moved on from this literal association, to one which people use in a derogatory way simple to denote weakness of character. What right do homosexuals have to freeze the evolution of language or a word at some crude state of it's development? Can morons stop people from using the word "dope" to refer to drugs, or to mean "awesome" because in recent history it meant "stupid person?" I'm not saying that Kobe meant "***got" in any of these archaic ways, but that it also isn't necessarily about homosexuality, because it has since evolved as an epithet that has not direct associated to homosexuality. In this case, he was just calling the guy a ****...oh wait, does that mean that all men named Richard are going to file a class action lawsuit for being compared to a bad ref???

geezlouise

Can TMZ set up one of those charity phone numbers so I can text a donation for poor Kobe. Maybe the text number can be 2779473 (*******)