« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

GLAAD -- The NBA Must PUNISH Kobe Bryant

4/13/2011 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The NBA "must take action" against Kobe Bryant for dropping a homophobic slur during last night's Lakers game ... so says the head of the most influential gay rights group on the planet.

0413_kobe_bryant_GLAAD_ex

TMZ spoke with Jarrett Barrios -- President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation  -- who tells us, "[Kobe's] statement is a start, but the NBA must now take action."

Barrios continues, "No matter the intent, slurs like this fuel intolerance. The NBA has a chance to show leadership by taking disciplinary measures and sending a message that words like this have no place in sports."

The GLAAD honcho adds, "All sports leagues have a responsibility to create a safe environment for fans, employees and players.“

Kobe released a statement saying he didn't mean to offend anyone when he used the words "f**king f**got" last night ... but he never really apologized for using the slur.

0413_kobe_bryant_footer_V2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

fran

i wonder if kobe would be saying, "oh it was just said in the heat of the moment" had a ref or another player called him a f'ing ni**er? i'm sure not.

Posted at 2:22 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by c. martin

I am sure he has been called that on numerous occasions, and even in games ....he just doesnt wail about it.

fran

Wonder how Kobe would feel if I said shut up fu@#ing Ni##%r!

Posted at 2:24 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by Clare

He would say PHUQ YOU YOU STUPID BIT CH!

Posted at 2:30 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by efnsteve

I loved that one efnsteve..probably true lol

efnsteve

Words cause harm. People are attacked, and abused every day with this language. It's wrong. Think about the CHILDREN. Think about the GAY TEENS out there. Why should they have to deal with this language? Sorry homophobes, but gay people exist. You can't just ignore their existence forever.

Posted at 2:43 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by Flyboy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While you are correct that the rest of society can't deny their existence. the rest of us certainly don't have to cater to their every whim when a non-issue (in my opinion and apparently most of everybody else) like this arises.

He clearly said it out of frustration and both you and I know it was not meant with malice towards the gay community. kids. parents and whomever else you might think got offended by this.

So, again I say...PHUQ EM'

Telstar

I agree that not only sports but television in general needs to be more enlightened. I propose that they address the issue by showing more girl-on-girl during prime time.

Sam

If we can't kick Kobe out of the NBA then who can we?

Jodi

I believe Kobe should be punish for it also, but the NBA are not going to do it. It's coming up on playoff time. They will make him pay a huge fine, donate some money to GLAAD and that will be the end of it and GLAAD will go away

Kobe should be more professional than to let something like this come out of his mouth and it is also the wrong image for all the young kids, who look up to him, to see.

Lola

People should be allowed to express their feelings. Y'all never heard of "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" Grow up, lunatic fringes of society. The rest of us are sick of you policing our words and thoughts. So make people shut up. You will never stop their thoughts. You prefer just not to know what they really think of you? You prefer the PC version, in other words, lies?

Suzanne

It's called "freedom of speech". You may not like it but he has the right to say it.

The Love Sponge

I'm a Flaming Drag Queen Nazi for Jesus. Big deal!

BULL

WHy dont we worry about economy GAS prices real issues
Words are hurtful but is this really THIS big of a story

Mrthundermaker

Unless the ref is homosexual it was obviously just an angry guy lashing out with no meaning. GLAD to know that we are protecting the straight guys from slander! Get over it (unless the ref is gay).

Flyboy

Lola, you're just another one of the typical spoiled rotten "I'm special because I'm in the majority" types. You aren't special, Lola. The second you drop the entitlement act, maybe you can work towards having empathy, not being self-absorbed, and being a decent person. You're sick of being policed, well, maybe you should take medicine for that. And in the meantime, find some medicine to cure you of your bigoted "I'm better than everyone" attitude also. Get over yourself quickly.

efnsteve, it does NOT MATTER if his intentions were not homophobic. That is like saying I didn't mean for the person to die when I shot them. You still committed the bad action. Kobe STILL used the word. Athletes STILL use these words. Well now, the gay community is standing up for themselves and saying NO, and people like you are crying about it. Get over yourselves. And as for most not being offended, I hope you don't think that's an excuse for negative actions, and I certainly hope you don't think TMZ is an accurate reflection of reality.

You don't have to cater to the gay community, but you sure as hell can't, in 2011, denigrate them and expect to get away with it. It simply isn't going to happen. A lot of people think gay people are weak. Well, they're getting tough now. It's up to everyone else to realize that this is a group of human beings who deserve the same treatment as everyone.

bill

uh oh the word police.... oh please, punishing Kobe Bryant over a curse word is stupid....

Canoe

OMG this is news? Blowing this story out of proportion fuels intolerance more than Kobe's mouthing of the forbidden word fa**ot. Seriously seek attention more.

I'm mouthing a slur of my own right now. It rhymes with shaq fu.

no1cares

GET OVER IT. I say that crap all the time.