« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

GLAAD -- The NBA Must PUNISH Kobe Bryant

4/13/2011 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The NBA "must take action" against Kobe Bryant for dropping a homophobic slur during last night's Lakers game ... so says the head of the most influential gay rights group on the planet.

0413_kobe_bryant_GLAAD_ex

TMZ spoke with Jarrett Barrios -- President of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation  -- who tells us, "[Kobe's] statement is a start, but the NBA must now take action."

Barrios continues, "No matter the intent, slurs like this fuel intolerance. The NBA has a chance to show leadership by taking disciplinary measures and sending a message that words like this have no place in sports."

The GLAAD honcho adds, "All sports leagues have a responsibility to create a safe environment for fans, employees and players.“

Kobe released a statement saying he didn't mean to offend anyone when he used the words "f**king f**got" last night ... but he never really apologized for using the slur.

0413_kobe_bryant_footer_V2

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

fran

I have a question...what are the donations to Glaad for ..they are healthy human beings working for a living. why are people asked to support them..If they want to have parades and such , or get their word out , let them pay for it...I mean its not like its needs are like heart and stroke or cancer research, etc: so why the donations.

Flyboy

Ron, you're tired of gay people telling you what to say and do? Well, they are tired of discrimination. So, maybe if you wouldn't be a bigot, they wouldn't have to keep putting people like you in your place. You made the choice, and you suffer the consequences.

TheRock, it can be one word, it can be 100. Anti-gay slurs are anti-gay slurs, and they are wrong to use in a civil society.

tigerblood

Fran - AIDS

fran

FLYBOY has deceided he is the conscious for all of us here..

jeebus

People who choose their sexuality are bisexually-oriented.

@ Flyboy

You know for someone that keeps preaching that homosexuality is not a choice you are really ignorant on bisexuality. Some MAY choose to play both sides of the fence, but really there are a LOT OF US out there that didn't have a choice. We simply like both men and women. I have equal desire for both sexes. This was not a choice. this is simply who I am. So quit preaching if you know nothing about all of it.

Jah36

Flyboy,

Correct, sex is not just for procreation. But in a natural setting, procreation is possible. Again, homosexuality is not rampant in nature. Recent studies/polls indicate that in the United States alone, just a nominal 1% - 3% of the population report themselves as homosexuals. That is hardly "rampant."

"Lastly, sexual orientation is a result of a complex combination of genetic, biological, hormonal and individual-specific environmental factors." Yes and no. It could be the result of genetic factors, the same as some people are born with a propensity toward developing schizophrenia. I would lean more toward it being more of an indiviual-specific environmental issue though. In either case, this would not considered "normal." Just because one is born with something does not make it "normal." That's if one is born "gay."

In my opinion, due to the degradation of society as of late, parents are beginning to negate their responsibilities in teaching their children gender specific roles, which in turn can lead to "sexual identity" crisis as the child was never taught the difference between right and wrong. That's where the individual-specific environmental factors would kick in. So in that sense, I would agree with you.

efnsteve

Great, you won GLAAD....Kobe just got fined K100 by the NBA and Stern.
Congratulations, commie pigs.

pete louis

Don't understand why ***s are ashame of being called ***s, what do you call them that would make who they are right in the site of God. Guess since they been let out the closet they are above being called ***s

Flyboy

efnsteve, I thought the SAME WAY you did earlier today. I was like, wait, why get offended about this? He didn't say it intentionally to the gay community. But, here is the thing. The word itself is homophobic. The intentions don't need to be homophobic. The word in itself is loaded with anti-gay thoughts. When the word is used, most people think "weak, insignificant, pu**y etc." What are the main stereotypes of gay men? Exactly. Put 2+2 together. That's why it's offensive. The intentions can be one way, but the actions are what counts.

Solaera, I would agree with you, if fa**ot wasn't a word loaded in homophobia. It is. And n*gga please, isn't the same as "ni**er". N*gga please in many ways is a joking statement. Fa**ot isn't. Fa**ot is 100% meant to offend about 95% of the time it's used in the context Kobe did. And that is the big issue here. And the thing is, these words are used in American society more readily, but that's an issue. Actually, it's used less than it was even a few years ago because people are speaking out against it. Just because many people use it, doesn't make it OK. People are hurt by this language, and that is what makes it unacceptable.

Flyboy

Jeebus, I didn't say bisexuals choose their sexuality. What I did say is that these homophobes are bisexually ORIENTED. Meaning their sexual ORIENTATION is bisexual. And they CHOOSE not to act on their homosexuality. That is the choice, not the attraction. I would never say bisexuality is a choice in itself, that's silly obviously, and ignorant as heck.

fran

If you believe Kobe Bryant was not guilty of a hate crime last night then try the same thing when you go to work tommorow.

Posted at 3:02 PM on Apr 13, 2011 by Sam
Sam I dont think he said it in hate , I think he said it in the heat of the moment ...there is a difference. I am sure he gets called worse in the games sometimes, some people just like to whine about every little thing.

Rabbitt

Screw you GLAAD. I have no problem with gay people except when they start whining over every little slight in the universe. I have a problem with EVERY minority group he starts whining everytime they're offended. I get offended every single day and I get over it. Cuz that's life. And guess what...not everybody likes you or is gonna respect you or is gonna tiptoe around to spare your feelings, no matter who you are. Go find something constructive to do because right now you just look like a bunch of clowns.

Justin

This guy totally sounds like he takes the Hershey train to Browntown.

jeebus

then I apologize flyboy. Your wording was not clear enough when I first read it for me to see it that way. Thank you for clearing that up. You have to understand that bisexuals get a lot of flack as doing the "cool thing" and really thats not what it is.

Jah36

Flyboy's response to no1cares: "no1cares, if you say it all the time, you're a BAD PERSON. Congrats. Oh, and I hope you say it to a gay person and get your a** whooped for it. Maybe you'll learn common sense then."

Interesting to note the call for violence here. Everyone pay attention to Flyboy's comments. You'll notice that most of the time, he has tried to remain calm and collective while presenting his "arguments," as outlandish and unsubstantiated as they are. You'll also notice that he keeps repeating the same key phrases attempting to label people who disagree with the perversion of homosexuality as having a personality disorder. This is a typical homosexual activist tactic. They can't win the argument based on logic or common sense, so they continue repeating the same nonsense over and over and louder and louder until ignorant people begin to believe it.

It's very telling to see the cracks in his argument as the anger comes out and he begins calling for violence. This is a clear indication of his frustration due to a lack of an argument. Very interesting!