« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

Homophobic Slur

During NBA Game?

4/13/2011 10:34 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant appeared to hurl a homophobic slur towards an NBA referee during a Los Angeles Lakers basketball game last night ... and it was all caught on tape.
041311_kobe_foul_still

It happened during the 3rd quarter after Kobe got hit with a technical foul. The NBA star -- clearly upset -- screams for the ref (Bennie Adams) and appears to mouth the words, "F**king f**got."

One of the announcers then comments, "You might wanna take the cameras off of him right now, for the children watching."

UPDATE: A rep for the team tells us, "The Lakers can not confirm that is what Kobe said or not."

Story developing ...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

MzReeses

Who really cares?! Whats wrong with saying ***got I used to say it all the time when I was younger (although now I have a larger vocabulary). Its just a word and for all the gays who get offended lets not forget what a ***got really is. The word is whatever you make it to be.

Truth

I'M SURE MARLEE MATLIN CAN FIGURE OUT WHAT HE SAID. JUST SAYIN..

REGDC

Come on TMZ, you know fa**ots don't watch basketball, unless the NBA has a contract with the f*g channel? The closest fa**ots have to watching basketball is that Lamar Odom show on E!

Mikey

Homophobia? Some people just don't like the idea of one man putting his penis in another man's anus. Doesn't mean the're afraid of gays, they just don't like them.

Mikey

I bet today Kobe will say: You should hear the things Shaq says about gays.

Birdsht

GLAAD members sent here to comment or what. Making this news is an absolute joke.

Hello is anybody in there?

34# LOL good one.

I bet he'll say other basketball players say it true or not to try to deflect criticism.

kp

I bet if a white man would have said n====r there would be all kinds of "your a racist" but since it is a gay slur it's ok don't think so.

Sam

So the ref is a homosexual who copulates, why is that any concern for little Kobie unless this is a hate crime? If he likes to call people names, Bryant is an adulterous, sexually deviant rapist.

After his victim SETTLED he issued this apology: "First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

Yeah, it is only a crime if you get caught, Kobey.

Coca Cola, Spalding and Nike continue to support this anger filled, hateful, prejudice rapist with their continued endorsement. Tiger didn't rape anyone and he gets dropped.

DirtySouth

For all you dimwits saying who cares and want to see "real" news, go to a news website. Or are you so dumb you can't understand the news on a real news website and have to look for it on an entertainment news website. This is sports (spell it with me kids) e-n-t-e-r-t-a-i-n-m-e-n-t.

That said, as conservative and as much of a fan of Kobe's I am, his apparent slur is uncalled for. He gets so emotinal that he denigrates someone's sexual preference? If some white dude on the floor hurled a racist epithet towards him, what would he do? As the face of the league (especially after his past legal problems), he should be severely reprimanded.

Mikey

Only 1.3% of people are gay. Who cares what they think.

Mikey

Technically Kobe maybe be right. He may have knowledge that the referee is having sexual relations with another man.

Elle0375

This coming from such a 'stand-up' guy, I don't believe it....

Pond s*** will always be pond s***, even with a few million in the bank.

writenow

Kobe's a thug. I'm sure the networks will apologize for their behavior in rudely catching him being himself. After all - there's all the $$$$ to consider.

Titanium

It's always funny to read/hear people call Kobe a rapist. It's mostly white guys who are mad that a white female (who was obviously very easy) was F'd by a black guy; an athlete at that. Kobe has taken more heat for that (especially here on TMZ where the majority of commenters are closet racists) than Big Ben has for alledgedly assaulting two females in the span of a year or two.

I don't think Kobe is a role model or even a nice guy; however, he's human and there have been plenty of celebrities, politicians, and other people in the spotlight who have been accused of the same things he has been accused of. Do you know how many politicians have had affairs? Do you know how many musicians and athletes have used racist and anti-gay words? A lot. Does it make it right? No, but to make Kobe out to be Lucifer for doing the same thing many other people in the spotlight have done is ridiculous.

I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people on here who are acting holier-than-thou are the same ones who have done, or currently do, worse. It's always the ones who put themselves on a moral pedestal who do the worst or have the worst background.