« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Apologizes to Gay Rights Group

4/13/2011 10:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant just got off the phone with the president of a gay rights organization -- and apologized for using a gay slur last night ... TMZ has learned.

0413_hrc_kobe_ex_tmz

Bryant spoke with Human Rights Campaign honcho Joe Solmonese -- who tells TMZ, "I applaud Kobe Bryant for his swift apology. We had a very sincere conversation in which he expressed his heartfelt regret for the hurt that his words caused."

Solmonese adds, "He told me that it’s never OK to degrade or tease, and that he understands how his words could unfortunately give the wrong impression that this is appropriate conduct."

"At the end of a difficult day, I applaud Kobe for coming forward and taking responsibility for his actions."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

agold

Jesus Christ. These people really need to get of the pedestal they stand on. It's about 2 inches tall and totally meaningless. What a bunch of clowns. Seriously, don't they have ANYTHING, ANYTHING better to do than to polarize **** until it's hotter than the Sun itself. Lemme guess. The guy will be at the next 10 Laker games. Gratis, ofcourse. All this guy wants is attention. ****ing drama queens.

GOLLY

GLAAD is the biggest bully on the block.

jerry

100 K for a heat of the moment comment is plain dumb. Gays invaded churchs' after prop 8 and used religious slurs and nothing was done to them. Why is Kobe singled out?

Marilyn

Give me a break. He didn't know he was on camera, so leave him alone. I am so sick of this political correctness. Just walk down the hall of any US high school and you'll hear all kinds of kids using that word..........get over it.

SigmundFrodo

Well... apparently those people are easily offended and their feelings are easily hurt. I've been called every name in the book, including that one, but I didn't cry about it!

John

Give me an f'ing break!!! Are these gay groups God? Say whatever you fricking want and answer to no one.

Marvice

Ughh!!! I am so sick and tired of people apologizing for everything they say. Unless he was talking to you personally why would you be offended. And so what if you are? There is no promise in birth that you won't be offended during your life time.

tony

I don't see anything Kobe said wrong other than the profanity,those complaining must be"***s"how do they know,what he meant.personally,these gay folk need to back up,no straight person(male)wants to be near you folk.I mean stay way back,it's disgusting to think of another guy looking at me like a straight man would look at a woman,you dig!So you gays stay way back...Speak on Kobe!!!Peace!Gays need the Jesus

Donna

Why does he need to apologize to this organization? It's ridiculous! IF he chooses to apologize, it should have been to the person he said it to. Heated interactions happen ALL THE TIME in sports and as usual, it's blown completely out of proportion. So STUPID!!!!

Stac

My only issue here is, Would there be the same apologies & media coverage if he called the referee retarded? I feel that certain slurs draw more attention, but the people with special needs do not. Only if it were directed at the person with the special need.

Dorinha

Eight separate articles on this subject are currently featured on pages one and two of TMZ.

Zzzzzz....

lou

Josephina 8 hours ago

Although I don't agree with the people bashing ALL GAY PEOPLE, I do think it is unhelpful to the gay community when specific groups demand apologies and get upset over little things like this. However, this doesn't mean that all gay people are sensitive or whiners. It's just this one stupid group.

Wow! Find out what you're talking about before commenting. The Human Rights Campaign is a group which condemns all bigotry and intolerance against the LGBT community. You do not have to be a whiner and/or sensitive if you speak against bigotry and name-calling! Making a "stupid" comment like you did is just "stupid"!

Dorinha

Not sure if I'm warming up to this new user "profile" feature, TMZ. It leads one to believe that I have a Frank Stallone fixation, and that I recycle jokes often.

ketjo

He should never and I mean never have buckled under and apoligized to this group of hyocrites for anything.....He has thr right to freedom of speech and the right to his own personal opinion whether You like it or not..NO group whether they are gay,black,white,jew or whatever have the right to make you apoligize for voicing your opinion whether you did it in the heat of the moment or not...

I am so SICK and tired of this POLITICAL CORRECT crap that they keep pushing down peoples throats...It is wrong and touchs on the core of our consitutional rights...You don't kiss their a**s and agree with every thing they say you are labeled, homophobic, or rasist or politically tea party (whatever the hell that is)or hillbilly (even people from Alaska) never understood that logic cause I am a real hill billy from the south and proud of the fact...If you're not city slick, you're a hillbilly, you live in the country ,you're a hillbilly, you live in a moblie home, you are worse the a hillybilly you're are white trash hillbilly,
Hell hillybilly is now the fashion label for anybody who is white and doesn't dress and act like a hollywood whore.....

Enough of this crap I am a American and I will not apoligize for voicing my opinion and if you don't like it don't listen or grow a thicker hide just like every other nomal human being ...

GOLLY

GLAAD is the biggest and meanest bully on the block, and if you say so, they will beat you up. What a bunch of crap. I know all of those who don't turn away from their ways will not see Heaven and will burn for an eternity. So please repent.