« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Kobe Bryant

I Didn't Mean

To Offend Anyone

4/13/2011 3:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Kobe Bryant has issued a statement about his homophobic outburst during last night's Lakers game -- essentially admitting to using the word "f**got" and explaining, “What I said last night should not be taken literally."

0413-kobe-technical-tmt-ex-5-credit
Kobe continues, "My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. "

He adds, "The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

As we previously reported, Kobe mouthed the words, "f**king f**got" towards an NBA referee last night after he was hit with a technical foul.

0323_gay_pride_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Detweiler

Next time I mouth the words "f**king n**ger" toward a ref "during the heat of the game" wonder what he thinks about that!

Flyboy

Now here come the religious bigots. Um, the Bible says women aren't supposed to speak in churches. And that it's a man's job to speak on behalf of God's word. The Bible allows slavery. Polygamy is common in the Bible. You are ALL hypocritical. NONE of you follow the Bible for real, only what suits your ignorant beliefs.

It doesn't matter is one person uses this word or 100. It's wrong. And wrong things get called out for what they are.

hatefaggots

im anti***ot so wut?

Ollie_vee

"The words expressed ... were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

Except the referee, right Koby?

Whirligig

@Thomas- He's more fast at assuming people's pasts and backgrounds instead of looking at the facts. I completely and 1000000% agree with you.

washout22

These weirdos need to find a girlfriend and quit grossing everyone else out. You cannot be differentiated by an action (even a gross one). You can be viewed as vile and indescent for a gross act and that is how you are perceived. A man of any race has no choice and deserves respect for whatever race they are, but a man that does disgusting acts can and will be viewed as a gross, vile person. You all need to find girlfriends and straighten up if you expect any respect in this society.

Flyboy

Kitty, you can be a lesbian, but still hold an anti-gay attitude. It's called internalized homophobia. Fa**ot is an anti-gay slur. It's wrong. End of.

Thomas, the issue I have is, why are you being open-minded about hate speech. Now, I can understand waiting for the facts to come out and for confirmation of the language used by Kobe. But NOW you are saying "gay people have no stones to throw, they have public sex." Get real Thomas. And no, I'm not fast to call people homophobic, the title applies, then wear the shoes. I don't know whether you're homophobic or just condescending. But one thing I do know, you don't take this issue as seriously as you should, and that is disrespectful.

Whirligig

@Missy- Totally agreed. If I breathe wrong, I'm sure I'm offending someone.

Whirligig

@Flyboy- Why don't you just give up, troll? And why do you insist on continuing using the word aloud on TMZ if you think it's so "wrong"? So far... you've said it a number of times... so maybe you should look at yourself. And I know for a fact I'm not whatever you called me. I have no problems expressing my sexuality in or out of public. Dude, you really need to stop assuming things. It's not helping your case at all. People don't fit into these little boxes that you create with your bigot mind.

Flyboy

Adam and Eve are incest, tee. As for gay people not producing children, sex isn't solely for procreation. Lastly, the world isn't and never will be 100% gay, so that argument fails. You have no excuses. You are a bigot and you lose.

Washout22, over half of people do not see homosexuality as an issue. Meaning that "society" actually is NOT the way you see it. Hmmm, yeah. As for anything being disgusting, your bigotry is. Why you're so concerned with the sex acts other adult human beings have I don't know, probably because you get no action yourself, or are sexually repressed. I don't care about the sex other people have, I see human beings as human beings. You should learn to do the same if capable.

customcalendars4u2

Kobe will never be able to live down the public humiliation of having to apologize to his "WARPED" wife Vanessa when the white woman cried foul after the sex act in the hotel room and then he was all tears for fears on live television, but as far as him calling the ref. a ***got who the hell cares? If the gay community is all in a tiff over a word that they are used to hearing then oh well!! What is the difference between this insulting slur or any other slur/insult?? He should be fined for abusing the ref,but that's about it and let's get on with it already until the next meltdown occurs. It's no big deal and a child's role model first and foremost once again should be their own parents,because these celebrities that the kids look up to are human as well and prone to make mistakes while their own children are watching.

Flyboy

Awwww, you are trying to turn my arguments against me Kitty. That's a good one. I'm not using the word myself, obviously, I'm using the word that Kobe used, which you know, but you're being disingenuous. I'm not a troll, and I'm not assuming anything. You either excuse anti-gay slurs, or you don't excuse anti-gay slurs. Excusing anti-gay slurs implicates you as anti-gay.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I didn't read the previous 9 pages of comments, so maybe somebody has already said it, but clearly he meant to offend the referee. When you call somebody names out of frustration, don't *****foot around, you mean to offend them.

tee

flyboy i get plent action trust me but if i told u how much action i get u would call me names then but on anotha note wat u said dosent make sense men and women as 1 produce 2 men cant and 2 women cant ur missin da point society then screwed ur head up im not worried bout them but they make it their point for us 2 have 2 accept them but when n da bible its unacceptable wat r u gonna go by da bible r society? u tryna talk noise on me cuz of my opinion but i doubt u would if we were n person i would hand u ur teeth trust me

Flyboy

customcalendars4u2, you want to know who cares? How about all the gay kids who look up to Kobe Bryant. What about the gay representatives on the Lakers staff. Or any potential gay Laker fans. Maybe, just maybe, you should step outside of yourself for a minute and realize that this word does have power and hurts many.