'All My Children,'

'One Life to Live'

CANCELLED

4/14/2011 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official -- the soap opera era is officially DEAD ... now that ABC has announced they have cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."

0413-rip-all-mychildren
"All My Children" has been on the air since 1970 ... and "One Life to Live" debuted in 1968.

The only soap remaining on ABC is "General Hospital."

ABC released a statement saying, "Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows."

The replacement shows will focus on health and food.

Shevonne -- our resident soap opera junkie -- is literally crying in the back of our office right now.

TX ROSE

ONE LIFE TO LIVE is better than All My Children and General Hospital. OLTL was the one soap to save! I am totally bummed out by this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VictoriaGirl

I couldnt care less. The only soap I used to watch was Another World and after it was cancelled I couldnt be bothered to try and get into another soap.

CRIS

NO!!! Colleges everywhere will now have students attending classes. Life has changed forever today. Between Oprah, Oz, Phil, ad nauseum ...we KNOW ENOUGH about what to eat and that we need to get our asses off the couch. Stupid move ABC.

Cheetara101

Are they freaking crazy! I grew up and still watch these two soap operas!!! I'm beyond upset! I'm in tears! OMG!!! Yet tv networks want to keep reality shows like the Kardashians and Bachelor! Give me a break! ABC Execs you can bite me!!! Assh%les!

JW

Days of Our Lives is still on unless I missed something.

mag

Great! We need more health and food shows to watch while we sit on our a$$es eating junk food!

Sara

And another thing. First hugs for Shevonne. Second we don't need more TV shows telling us how to eat, what to buy, and how to handle our lives. Shame on ABC.

Michelle

What are guys in the Penn going to do now that they no longer have the story's to watch?

3Storms

Just what America needs............more mind-numbing talk shows aimed at middle-class white women

But hey DRUG OPERAS (and they ARE drug operas since their primary sponsors these days are drug makers) have become redundant anyway.

angie

omg they shouldnt do this alot of us still watch it as an entertainment while taking care of our kids, i will miss watching it :(

Sammie

I guess it all depends on what they replace it with. Most of day time TV is awful and atleast the soaps were something to depend on.

Grumpinmcpunkkin

It's a bit silly of abc seeing how all my children just moved all the cast to California last year. What a waste of everyone's time and commitment on the show. Some of these people moved their family to continue the show. They should keep them going and show them on soap net, which sux for folks that
don't have soap net but still at least the shows would go on.

Mike

Can we get a picture of Shevonne crying? That seems like it might be pretty hot.

Truth

MORE LIKE THE COST WAS EXPENSING ABC MORE WITH LITTLE RETURN (LOWER RATINGS) SO THEY REPLACED IT WITH 2 CHEAP AZZ GARBAGE SHOWS!!! WTF... ONE HOST IS WAAAY CHEAPER THAN A TROUPE OF ACTORS, PRODUCERS, DIRECTORS, ETC.

Martin

It's about damn time.....Too many bad actors made careers from this
drivel.