'All My Children,'

'One Life to Live'

CANCELLED

4/14/2011 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official -- the soap opera era is officially DEAD ... now that ABC has announced they have cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."

0413-rip-all-mychildren
"All My Children" has been on the air since 1970 ... and "One Life to Live" debuted in 1968.

The only soap remaining on ABC is "General Hospital."

ABC released a statement saying, "Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows."

The replacement shows will focus on health and food.

Shevonne -- our resident soap opera junkie -- is literally crying in the back of our office right now.

Jay

THEY BETTER NOT CANCELL GENERAL HOSPITAL!!!!!

Oh god more boring health and food shows yep thats what we need.

Lucy

OMG NO WAY, That is sooooooooo dumb. Those are 2 of the 3 soaps that I watch. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB. It's the only thing on TV that's not a dumb "reality" show.

Jay

Oh good now we have the option of reporting the wackjobs that post on TMZ, thanks.

Meemee

Been watching since the first day. These writers killed a great soap

Mona

HOLY COW! I have NEVER posted in response to anything. But this is too much! I have watched these shows literally all my life! How can this be stopped? What can we do!

krazgal00

Susan Lucci (All My Children) was on The Wendy Williams Show the other day and said this was just a rumor and that she had already signed on for another year!

J.A

I cant believe abc would consider cancelling these two shows.every time you try to revamp a show you fall flat on your face remember the city,port charles.have you considered what us viewers want or is it all about money.this is a huge mistake and you will find this out too late.

Andreia C

WOW I can't believe it. I have been watching All My Children for 14 yrs(I'm only 24). I would watch it with my abuelita :-(

Gillie Robbins

As The World Turns had been on for 50 years!!! Didn't stop them from cutting there throat....

tngmom58

I am crying too. I have watched OLTL since it started. I was 10. I was looking forward to watching it when I retired!!! I am so sad.

Jane Kelly

What a huge mistake! I won't watch anything they replace these shows with. They will never get the same number of people watching another stupid talk show as they had for these soap operas! Red-in-Phoenix is right!! And I haven't watching on Jay Leno show again since NBC did that. Where is the smart cable channel executive that could take over and run the shows on their channel? I'd be recording that everyday and they could make the advertising money ABC seems to be willing to lose. What a huge mistake!!!

pardol7723

No way I always counted on All My Children for a break from the crazyness - they all seemed to make it through anything - I have watched both since they started as my mom always had on when I came home for lunch - end of an era - although I enjoy health and food shows we have more than enough of those - I say we start a campaign to "SAVE THE SOAPS"

Karri

WOO HOO!! GH saved!!

kp

This is a shame, the crap on t v now days is terrible the way it is then they just worse. The only thing to the networks is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ They don't care if they put out a good product, they care about how much money they make. What is t v going to be like in 10 years. It's time to get a life.

Cheetara101

ABC tv executives are MUPPETS!!! Yes, I mean that in a negative way!