'All My Children,'

'One Life to Live'

CANCELLED

4/14/2011 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official -- the soap opera era is officially DEAD ... now that ABC has announced they have cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."

0413-rip-all-mychildren
"All My Children" has been on the air since 1970 ... and "One Life to Live" debuted in 1968.

The only soap remaining on ABC is "General Hospital."

ABC released a statement saying, "Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows."

The replacement shows will focus on health and food.

Shevonne -- our resident soap opera junkie -- is literally crying in the back of our office right now.

JBDragon

Maybe all the Unemployed these days just don't want to watch Soaps on TV these days!!! I won't miss them, I've never watched them. A lot of Stars started out on Soaps though.

lovethefog

wtf are they thinking? i hate the view and stupid talk shows.

kingborg

Bubbles The Chimp 17 minutes ago
Shevonne is old enough to know they are just actors playing a part and not real people recording their lives.

Lame.

--------------------------------------------------

your an ass.

Dennis

Great, now I can study for those 2 hours. Thanks ABC.

soap girl

I will truly miss All My children. I have been watching it since junior high. What was ABC thinking about.

AQ

I stopped watching soaps about 20 years ago when I graduated high school but this story still makes me a little sad. They were such a staple on TV, as cheesy as they were :). Goodbye daytime soaps.

ncns

Are you kidding me new shows on food and health? I do not waatch soap operas any more due to scheduling but health and food shows would definitely put me to sleep. We are being bombarded with shows to make us healthier and some people just like to have a little fantasy shows ie soaps, dramas. Bad choice ABC I see this as your journey to last place in the dying network channels.

Andrea

Translation: ANOTHER talk show. The only reasons the shows were failing was because of the dreadful writing over the last few years! When the stupid new talk shows fail, will ABC bring the soaps back?

Not Well

I am not well with this, at all.

Marc

One Life to Live deserves to be saved. It's has potential. And Daytime television without ERICA KANE. It's an end of an era. Cancel the overly dark and brutal General Hospital and Save One Life to Live.

susan

OMFG !! You have to be kidding me !! Talk about ratings dropping, ABC you are in for a big shocker. You are ultimately destroying your own network. I will now make the decision to boycot you all together.I will not and refuse to give you my support as I have done for many many years based on this decision.
You are a bunch of money hungry, political, power hungry mongrels and have shown us that you really do not care about what we as faithful and loyal viewers want. I wish you and your new shows all the bad luck in the future. Big MISTAKE !

Stupid People Hater

Damn, my Mom has watched these since I can remember... at least 25 years. She will only have one left now...

ps

Sad, just gives me another reason to stop watching main stream t.v. and go to cable. Bad move abc. Maybe a cable channel will pick them up.

Kathryn

Fronshole wouldn't know what the daytime viewing audience wanted if it bit him on his moronic backside.

Eriden07

If GH goes anywhere I WILL FREAK!!!!!!