'All My Children,'

'One Life to Live'

CANCELLED

4/14/2011 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official -- the soap opera era is officially DEAD ... now that ABC has announced they have cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."

0413-rip-all-mychildren
"All My Children" has been on the air since 1970 ... and "One Life to Live" debuted in 1968.

The only soap remaining on ABC is "General Hospital."

ABC released a statement saying, "Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows."

The replacement shows will focus on health and food.

Shevonne -- our resident soap opera junkie -- is literally crying in the back of our office right now.

AyeJay

I'm guessing Shavonne, is black?

Connie

I have watched All My Children since it started. I can not belive that ABC is cancelling this show. If I am not home it is recording to watch on the weekends. ABC what are you thinking. BIG Mistake! BIG Mistake! Replacing with health shows NOT going to watch. You can only watch so many of them and then you soon turn them off. Health shows begin to repeat themselves over the same thing. OVER and OVER again.

Jim_STL

I hope Kourtney Kardashian's guest shot had no bearing on this.

krazgal00

It is just a rumor!!!!

Kim Tillman

I will no longer watch any show on ABC f--k them I hope someone picks these shows up like a cable channel and not more watching 2-4-5-7

Kathy

Come on ABC!! What are you thinking. I pretty much do not watch anything on TV at night anymore but I do like to record these soaps and watch them at night. I might as well give up my TV. Maybe the Soap Channel can pick them up. That would be my new favorite channel.

Donna

NOOOO!!! AMC cancelled! I've been watching it since 1970!! Its like a piece of my life will be missing. Me personally, I will not watch another food and health show. enough is enough.

Loyal Fan

Wow, that is a shame. Feel sorry for the new actors (now unemployed) that replaced the actors that made the wise decision not to move from the east to the west coast. What a waste of time and money.
I have been watching AMC since the mid 1970’s I will miss Erica and the rest of the crew. Wishing them the very best!

MoonDust

omg, Well people learn spanish and switch over to Univision, Telemundo, and Telefutura to watch the latin soaps. I will def miss OLTL loved that show, but is sad to see them cancelled!!!

nick

Yay the 1950's are over..........

SUSIE

WHO'S ABC MONITORING ?? NOT THE USA DAYTIMERS; ALL US SOAP VIEWERS TONS AND TONS OF US, WROTE IN OBJECTING TO THE POSSIBLE CANCELATIONS NOT 1 OF US WILL WATCH ANY REPLACEMENTS WE BOYCOTT

ABC_Sucks

I was sad when rumors started about AMC being canceled, but the show hasn't been good lately. Now they canceled OLTL too! This is unacceptable!

ABC can't afford it because the only good shows are the soaps, Grey's Anatomy, No Ordinary Family and Extreme Home Makoever.

Everything else is crap!

Brad

They could keep the shows running on the soaps cable channel.

Linz

That's sad. I watched All My Children for 15 years. I haven't watched it in about 5 years since they killed Dixie off in such a lame way. But I'm sad for all the people losing their jobs.

It is truly the end of the soap opera era. Susan Lucie AKA Erica Kane has been on the soap since the beginning and she stayed all these years. I definitely will watch the series finale.

susan

Time to start saving our soaps! This is a crock of crap!