'All My Children,'

'One Life to Live'

CANCELLED

4/14/2011 3:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

It's official -- the soap opera era is officially DEAD ... now that ABC has announced they have cancelled "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."

0413-rip-all-mychildren
"All My Children" has been on the air since 1970 ... and "One Life to Live" debuted in 1968.

The only soap remaining on ABC is "General Hospital."

ABC released a statement saying, "Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows."

The replacement shows will focus on health and food.

Shevonne -- our resident soap opera junkie -- is literally crying in the back of our office right now.

Barbara

I feel so sad. This has been my two soaps and the only ones I have watched. From the time they came on I never missed watching if at all possible. I will miss them so much. They have been so much to me all these years.

teddygirl36

NOOOOOO! I am so mad - I watch AMC every day and have for the past 25 years. What a shame for everyone on the show and for everyone who watches.

Charles J. Hill

Keep One Life to live and cancel All My Children. The writing for AMC is just horrible and the story lines are stretch out too long to the point that gives me stress, and that's from someone who dosen't give a dam. Now One Life to Live has decent writing and their story lines seem to resolve just short of a coon's life span. On second thought go ahead and cancel them both and give me my fricking life back.

C.J.Hill

CHRISTYLOVE1STBLKLESBIANBARBIE

MY MOTHER IS GOING TO CUSS OUT ABC.....TMZ GO TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA A.S.A.P........

Beeps

Maybe if they stop rehasing the same old story lines it would have stayed. Viki personality now her daughter. They die and come back with another name and we the viewers are not suppose to notice. Wait the Bold and the Beautiful will be next.

ocgirl

Shevonne is not alone! A lot of people will be sad. I for one could care less.

twcsmom

First of all, where do I write to tell ABC that I will boycott all of their shows, prime time and otherwise? This is ridiculous.

Secondly, if I worked for All My Children, I would make sure that ABC paid for me to relocate to WHEREVER I wanted to live. They had all those actors and tech crew relocate to LA, and NOW they cancel???? ABC owes every one of those people a PAID relocation, even if it is to the Bahamas!

mailys

I love watching soaps, I was a little upset at first but, to replace with a bunch of BS? LAME! isn't there enough talk shows and food shows on? WOW...that is just dumb!

pluv

WOW! Ok those aren't the best but a cooking show? EWW and another me, me, me show for celebs? NO. They best not touch GH! Housewives and inmates would be sooo upset!

LVVETTE

That is so ridiculous. Cancelling Daytime Soaps (AMC & ONE LIFE) will be a huge mistake. I am a working woman who looks foward to watching my soaps on my lunch hour. If they don't have the saops on then I won't be watching ABC along with the others in my office that watch. WHAT A DISAPOINTMENT!!!!

christina

I cannot believe for the life of me why they would cancel both!! these are the only two soaps ive watched since i was alittle girl with my mother, and she with hers!! this is very sad! If i wanted to watch a show on food id turn on the food network!! there HAS to be a way to change their minds. ABC is making a huge mistake!!!! those replacement shows will fail!! very sad day!!

Paige

I heard how everyone used to run home from school to see Dark Shadows. I missed all of that so I baught the entire series. Call me crazy but I have been plowing through it for over 2 years and love it. And All My children I thought would NEVER end. Come on guys, we have enough misery in real life shows. And ever notice that what they are ramming down us about health and diets is replaced with "Oh if you were on THAT diet you are lucky to have survived." Can not stand talk shows and so called experts with gigantic egos. Worse than the Reality shows. Those women from the TALK, bloody awful except for Sarah. Please ABC have your reps read TMZ and reconsider.

edna

Time to learn Spanish and watch the telenovelas.

Lucy

WOW!! now I don't have to play hookey from work :(

Nikki

So dumb. My guess is that abc will be losing a ton of viewers.