Mario Batali -- Don't Blame ME For Killing The Soaps!

4/15/2011 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Super chef Mario Batali -- who's starring in one of the shows replacing "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" -- has a serious reality check for soap-heads ... IT'S OVER!!!041511_mario_batali_still

Batali was on his way out of Spago yesterday -- when he dished out some straight talk to our soap-obsessed photog yesterday ... and then added, "I certainly don't want anyone out of a job ... I love everybody that works in the industry."

Batali is hosting a new daytime talk show called, "The Chew" ... which will follow "The View."

Adieu.

Shanan Li

I understand that the soap are not pulling in the money like they used to. HOWEVER, as a GL fan, I stress to AMC and OLTL fans to hit back in the pocket. Do not watch these new shows. Let them fail. No matter what, the soaps are gone, there is no fighthing for them. OWN will not pick them up. So hit ABC and CBS daytime new shows--it's only business!!

MoonDust

I hope you read these comments sir and realize your show will fail. And I hoep it fails too, won't watch any of ABC shows anymore ...SCREW YOU ABC!!

dan

Opera needs to save the shows by putting them on her channel OWN.

Annie

The View, The Talk, now The Chew...The further dumbing down of America...Not that soaps were all mind expanding..but better than more of the same junk shows.

fran

what another cooking talk show ? gosh sounds so exciting, NOT.daytime tv is slowly but surely going to the dogs..all except Ellen

FLO

ABC will lose a ton ov viewers cuz people do not want to watch this fat red faced man sweat into a bowl of pasta.

WiseMocha

"Any chance that Oprah's OWN, Lifetime or Soapnet will step up, TMZ??"

I am not TMZ, but I do know that Soapnet is owned by ABC/Disney, and it will be lightouts for that network in 2012. It's going to be replaced by Disney Jr.

IMO, just because ABC is turning off the lights on these shows, it doesn't mean another network, including NBC, CBS, and Fox, couldn't take advantage of this, and turn the lights back on. At the same time, maybe it's time for the soap genre to be reworked so that instead of coming on FIVE days a week, the shows could come on 1 day a week, with reruns for people to catch up. Also, maybe more availability and marketing for online viewership would make a difference. If the soap genre as we know it has to die, I hope it can be reborned into something that would fit better in this high-tech age.

debschira

AJLIND, YOU MEANT RAT BASTARD ALSO RIGHT? AND YOUR RIGHT ON ALSO WHEN YOU SAID YA DON'T WANNA WATCH HIM AT ALL. I'M WITH YA, RATHER HAVE A ROOT CANAL. AND WHY DID HE MAKE THIS ALL ABOUT HIM, SAYING "IM NOT THE ONE THAT CANCELED THE SOAPS, AS IF HE HAD THAT MUCH KAHONAS. JEEZ............... ANYWAY, WITH YA AJ. SIGNING OFF...............BE KIND,,,,,REWIND!!!

yvonne

A cooking show about healthy eating w/ Mario Batali? I cannot believe ABC. And you know it was not about low viewership or expenses. I know that the soaps had many,many viewers and major sponsors. It is you ABC, making very bad decisions. Well see what happens to the network once the soaps are gone. Viewership will go way down. Do we really need another food show and a talk show geared towards women. Give me a break! You made a very big mistake ABC and you upset alot of soap viewers who will most definitly boycott your network!!

WhoCares

I'd seriously like to see someone orchestrate a boycott of both the replacement shows and their sponsors. It wouldn't take much. Letting all the sponsors know you will boycott the products they advertise on the new shows will get someone's attention if there are enough of them.

debschira

I JUST GOT TO THINKING, WHAT AN EFFING DICH, TO THINK THAT HE HAS MORE $$$$$$$$$ THAN HE CAN SPEND, HOW DARE HE GET ANOTHER SHOW AND LITERALLY PUT PEOPLE OUT OF WORK? HOW DOES HE SLEEP AT NIGHT BESIDES HANGING UPSIDE DOWN? I USED TO BE HOOKED ON ALL MY CHILDREN, BUT WHEN I HAD MY KIDS, I BECAME A MOM (OMG) THAT DIDN'T WATCH SOAPS! I FEEL BAD FOR EVERYONE ON THOSE SHOWS. AS FAR AS I KNOW THE ONLY ONE THAT WON'T REALLY BE AFFECTED IS SUSAN LUCCI, CAUSE SHE HAS MONEY AND IS MARRIED TO MONEY. GOD BLESS THEM ALL AND HELP THEM THROUGH THIS ABC "PULL OUT THE RUG FROM UNDERNEATH YOU" NETWORK.

moe l.

This guy is a greasy slim ball and his restaurant gave my wife food poisoning.

kimborock

Enough with the stupid reality shows already!!! My guilty pleasure is to watch Days of our Lives on my lunch hour! So far Days has not been cancelled! You've got Dirty Jobs, Coupon People, ugly silicone wives from different states, Axmen, people who shoot things, storage bin buyers, pawn shops, and some stupid shows from Alaska! I know I missing a bunch - but you get my meaning? PLEASE STOP WITH THE REALITY SHOWS!!!!!!

kimborock

__________

Monarch22

It's One Life To Live. Not Days of Our Lives. Proofread much?