Susan Lucci BLINDSIDED By Cancellation

4/16/2011 11:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Susan Lucci had NO IDEA her show was in danger of being cancelled ... in fact, just THREE days before the announcement, the "All My Children" star ADAMANTLY denied the soap was on the chopping block.

0415_susan_lucci_video_ex
TMZ ran into Lucci at The Grove in L.A. on Monday (see above) and when we asked if the show she's starred on for 41 years was on the hot seat, Susan replied, "No truth to that rumor ... not at all."

We spoke to Lucci's daughter, Liza Huber, who told us the soap star only learned about the show's fate on Thursday -- at the same time producers informed the rest of the cast -- and Susan was "upset" by the news.

But fear not Lucci fans -- Liza tells us her mother has NO plans to retire ... and she's already receiving offers to do other TV shows and various projects.

stef

She's lying. It's been known for months in the soap world that AMC was on it's way out...OLTL was more of a surprise.

Steph

Lucci repeated her emphatic denial about AMC being canceled and that these were all unfounded rumors while at a book tour stop in Atlanta on Apr. 4, 2011. I cannot believe the network would treat her--one of the show's biggest starts--in such a rude manner.

S

Good grief. The old broad has had a good run and made a ton of money. Not many working folks today can have the luxury of working for one company for 41 years.

Darlene

I wish Susan the best of luck! I know we will see her again in some other form on tv. I am not a soap opera fan but it is sad to see them go!

Joey

Finally!!! We won't have to see that no talent plastic face loser Bizth much longer Thank you ABC for giving the show the boot

OooooNooo!

Time to stop wearing V-neck tops honey.

Leo

In the 60's Star Trek was canceled by the Network. A fan based letter campaign was started which caused the series to be renewed. There are millions of fans who want these shows renewed. Write the Network and the Producers and they will listen. The last thing we need is another cooking show! Also, remember that Bay Watch was canceled by the networks and was sold into syndication. It went on to be an international hit and made billions. If the the networks don't want to spend the money because of some ill advised "suits" in their corporate offices I'm relatively sure that one of the many cable companies would love these tried and proven series. Its up to the fans. Get busy!

Katie

Don't be to happy Joey she's being replaced by Mario Battali...you lose an older, beatiful woman but gain an overweight sweaty dude.

spyke

This is an unflattering photo but bear in mind that Susan Lucci is a petite woman who does pilates every day. I am hoping it is the sunlight hiting her chest that is highlighting her like that. What a shame. This woman is an icon and it is a shame that there is so much garbage on tv today. I just saw a new show listed about couples in the delivery room oh that should prove interesting, honestly what's next, cloudwatching? Seeing The Grass Grow? How about watching Alkaseltzer plop plop fizz fizz?

andy

What a hottie ! ! !

If someone were to open an encyclopedia to the word "GILF", a picture of Susan Lucci would surely be there . . .

lizouttavegas

I dont even really watch AMC but I do watch GH, and OLTL recently! I hate hate hate that they are cancelling these 2 soaps for crappy reality shows....and I think the new show about food has a FAT chef!? I will boycott this station all day every day in protest for my soap people! cheap cheap cheap! nobody likes reality except the stupid people who are in/on it! I can see the day coming when its all reality ignorance, all the time! wonder when they'll take over my computer?

Joey

lizouttavegasI am sure that ABC and the rest of the world does not care what a lame old whiner that likes saop operas has to say or what she boycotts. It is because of pitiful people that they decided to cancel teh shows. Hallelulah

Lola

I don't watch soap operas, not in years, but looks to me like someone like Lucci, who has been a mainstay of that program for decades, could at least get a personal phone call from someone in charge to say that she need not show up to work - ever again. Something. Seems chicken to me.

dick

Next thing we know - fat housewives will be losing weight because there's no good shows for bon-bon eating!

iz

Is Lucci really almost 70 y.o.?

She still gives me a "woodie" !!!