« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Cig-Sucking WWE Star -- SMOKED by Tobactivist

4/19/2011 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE star R-Truth is taking serious heat for lighting up a cigarette on "RAW" last night ... in front of a row of kids -- and now, the biggest anti-smoking activist on the planet is DEMANDING he apologize.

0419_smoking_wrestler_patrick_reynolds_ex_getty

The drama began when Ron "R-Truth" Killings hit up the audience for a smoke ... and actually LIT UP right in front of them ... including several children.

But the on-screen cig-fest didn't sit so well with anti-smoking activist Patrick Reynolds (pictured right) -- Executive Director of TobaccoFree.org -- who has officially issued a challenge to the wrestler ... to publicly apologize for the smoking stunt.

Reynolds -- ironically the grandson of tobacco magnate R.J. Reynolds -- tells TMZ, "For him to smoke in front of [children] is irresponsible. At best, it's thoughtless, and at worst, if he calculated appealing to kids by posing as a bad-boy outlaw, it's evil."

0419_smoking_wrestler_sm_launchReynolds adds, "If he wants help in quitting, I'll be happy to be his personal coach."

The WWE issued a statement to TMZ defending the cigarette incident -- saying, "The negative effect smoking has on one’s health and physical performance was a part of a storyline on last night’s Monday Night Raw.  Negative depictions of tobacco use on television are not unusual and can be seen on other TV-PG shows."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Scott

In light of R-Truth's recent unauthorized behavior we at the WWE want the world to know we condemn SMOKING. That said we welcome our newest sponser E-Cigarrette not only does it have the nicotene you crave it also injects steroids without the needle.

Peace.

Mark

Ya, the other day my 6 year old was watching a huge angry dude on steroids grab a blond with fake jugs in a thong and start spanking her bare ass and then toss her over the ropes. Everything was fine until he lit up a cigarrette and I freaked out and covered his eyes.
What kind of parent do you think I am? lol

LOLIGANS

Quite obvious that a lot of you guys have antiquated, media received opinions on pro-wrestling, its fans and how things are run there. They've cleaned up their act in the past several years. It's different now. So, update your opinions on it so you sound like you actually have real opinions other than ones given to you by your peers and the media.

Poon Slayer

What a stupid *******.

No one gives two ****s.

Parents smoke infront of their children all the time.

He wants to do something about it. How about turning over his inheritance from his black lung industry?

What apiece of self riteous ****.

terry j vey

The WWE should not have to apologize for a storeyline.The gay people that want apologies would be told to kiss my ass if I was in charge(unfortuntly I think thats what some of them are hoping for)as well as any other group that is offended by entertainment.TV has people shooting each other,rape,more details then anyone needs to know about crime/murder scenes.Then all this guy can complain about is a guy lighting up a cigerette!

If sense were common everyone would have it.

As if they don't look trashy enough...

the Pat-Mann

To Patrick Reynolds:
Ron "R-Truth" Killings is an ACTOR! WWE "Matches" are scripted and rehearsed. and re-rehearsed.
EVERYONE knows the dangers of smoking. (Hell, my father died of lung cancer from smoking, okay?)

R-Truth was lighting up as part of a story line. The world's not going to end. He doesn't need to apologize to anyone.

So lighten up while I go light up, okay?

the Pat-Mann

This has got to be the most RIDICULOUS thing I've ever seen. Outright bloody stupid. Patrick Reynolds making a big deal over R-Truth lighting up a cig is, well, it's embarrassing. Listen up, Mr Reynolds:
First of all, the WWE "matches" are scripted and rehearsed. Ron "R-Truth" Killings is an ACTOR & Stunt Performer. This is what he does for a living. The fans know this, as do the children.

Second, the dangers of smoking are well known, and everyone's aware of the health hazzards. Including children. (FYI, my father died from lung cancer. Smoking.)

Seems to me that the main difference between smokers and non-smokers is that smokers won't get upset if you don't smoke. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going for my cigarette break.

Loverboy

I do not agree with WWE and Vince McMahon much, but I watched that segment and R-Truth was put in a very negative light because he smoked. It was implied he was out shape living an unhealthy lifestyle, and was not good enough to compete for their championship. How is that positive?

So a segment where someone OD's of heroin is good because they looked cool during the music montage?

Adam Carolla tells of these Cigarette A-holes coming after him filming a pilot because they didn't like the "loser construction workers" smoking in a scene.

I hate cigarette smokers too, they are a bunch of weak A-holes as well---but that seemed to be the point of the wrestling segment.

Andre R.

This from the company who has a CEO who has approved angles involving wrestlers burying each other in cement, wrestlers lynching each other, wrestlers hooking up a guy's testicles to jumper cables and then to a car battery, lesbians making out in the ring (OK, that one is pretty cool) women having miscarriages because of a rough fight, an old lady get pregnant and giving birth to a rubber hand, an old guy marrying a hot babe and then being dying on their honeymoon during sex, a diva accusing a wrestler of sexually assualting her, and even a necrophilia storyline where a wrestler accused another of having sex with his girlfriend after she was killed in a car crash?!

And this guy is upset that a wrestler is smoking? Didnt Paul "The Big Show" Wight do that for a while when he was The Giant in WCW in the 90s? Trust me, it's been done. Almost everything that could be considered offensive has been done in wrestling has already been done. Virtually nothing from WWE or TNA even remotely shocks or offends me anymore!

tellmeaboutit

LOL Who's this jacka$$ to "demand" anything??

Ali

I'm pretty sure most of the kids there have parents who smoke in front of them all the time.

So Lame

Why am I not surprised some non smoking a$$ hole will complain about this. I guess it was alright when edge and Lita had live sex on national TV. I bet Reynolds was sitting in the front row for that one...lol

Kenny

omg, you can't say anything about anything anymore. Has everything become semetic lol?

CG

Many of you have said what I was gonna say. So thank you.