« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Cig-Sucking WWE Star -- SMOKED by Tobactivist

4/19/2011 1:45 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

WWE star R-Truth is taking serious heat for lighting up a cigarette on "RAW" last night ... in front of a row of kids -- and now, the biggest anti-smoking activist on the planet is DEMANDING he apologize.

0419_smoking_wrestler_patrick_reynolds_ex_getty

The drama began when Ron "R-Truth" Killings hit up the audience for a smoke ... and actually LIT UP right in front of them ... including several children.

But the on-screen cig-fest didn't sit so well with anti-smoking activist Patrick Reynolds (pictured right) -- Executive Director of TobaccoFree.org -- who has officially issued a challenge to the wrestler ... to publicly apologize for the smoking stunt.

Reynolds -- ironically the grandson of tobacco magnate R.J. Reynolds -- tells TMZ, "For him to smoke in front of [children] is irresponsible. At best, it's thoughtless, and at worst, if he calculated appealing to kids by posing as a bad-boy outlaw, it's evil."

0419_smoking_wrestler_sm_launchReynolds adds, "If he wants help in quitting, I'll be happy to be his personal coach."

The WWE issued a statement to TMZ defending the cigarette incident -- saying, "The negative effect smoking has on one’s health and physical performance was a part of a storyline on last night’s Monday Night Raw.  Negative depictions of tobacco use on television are not unusual and can be seen on other TV-PG shows."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

PraoWolf

Wow so many comments about a ciggarette.... Really?? Now I do watch both WWE and TNA (Yes I know it's fake relax, and no I dont smoke or drink beer) WWE is reaching but to come out like this as an anti-smoking jibe really??? While I agree violence on tv for kids to watch is bad, it's not like regular TV is any better. Typically double standard violence and hatred is fine, but sex and nudity GASP shock horror!! The nude human form!??! It should be BANISHED FROM THE LANDS!!! Come on man, seriously? Anyone who criticizes people that watch wrestling, I guess never watch TV themselves, because EVERY TV show is actually "real" right? I remember walking to work one day and there was a camera crew filming, "Days and nights of mundane jobs to make money" so they could put it on TV. This is probably the line of thinking from people that watch Jersey Shore, Survivor and every other "reality" show and think "Oh this is REAL!!"

If you dont like wrestling, don't watch it, just like those of us who like wrestling, probably won't watch the shows you want to watch.

Gambie

PLEEZZZ! Lighting up one cigarette in a huge arena will not cause harm to your child! Read the research, it takes YEARS of second hand smoke in an enclosed space, think airplanes or autos, to cause any harm to someone's lungs. And so what if your child sees someone smoking, they're exposed to so much more than that on TV. And when did smoking become criminalized? Seems like America has already become a police state, with everything exposed on cell phones,internet,etc. turning into "Big Brother."

Bubbajk

WWE's excuse about "negative portrayal" can not be applied due to the back and forth good/bad images of it's stars. Excusing it because "R-Truth" is a villain today ignores the fact the in a wee or two he may be a "hero", with the clip of the smoking still circulating. It is a sad reminder that WWE is selling an adult product by targeting children. In an ideal world, people would awaken to the problem and boycott WWE right out of existence

Wiley

If he'd lit a joint he would have been cheered. Lemmings have no logic. Cigarettes bad, joints good. Brainless people.

Kat

who cares what an activist thinks they are paranoid anyway

Kemo

Demand an Apology??.....An apology is worth nothing unless freely given.....Do people actually think their kid has NOT ever seen someone light up a smoke? ..I swear these young 21 yo + mothers are IMO Stupid...They should have beed brought up in the 40's and 50's and then they could have some (balls)...

Semper Fi

As much as I hate Smoking (Being a former Smoker) I fail to understand why all these Anti Smoking Activists speak up about every aspect of Smoking except the Banning of Smoking alltogether.
Smoking and Drinking "Both Drugs" kill more people then all illegal drugs combined yet Smoking and Drinking are Legal..Could it be that the tax revenue on Cigarettes and Smoking out weigh the health concerns.
By the way do celebrities have to apologize when they light up in their movies or television shows?

Neilt81

I personally think its a great angle but the fact remains that R-truth broke the law here in england by smoking in a public building. I smoke myself so i couldn't careless about the negative effects on the young they will make their own minds up. The only issuse i have is that if its against the law for me to have a cig and a beer in pub or club then its the same for WWE. We get a pretty hefty fine right there and then i know cause i've done it lol

Neilt81

Joe

STFU Mr. Reynolds..I am tired of all this we have to protect the children nonsense...It's a parents responsibilty to tell THEIR KIDS what is right or wrong.

Grant

More proof that smokers are mentally ill and brain-damaged from tobacco drug addiction.

BAN THE ILLEGAL TOBACCO DRUG, NOW!

Butch

BAN THE ILLEGAL TOBACCO DRUG, NOW!

tyler

Sick and tired of all the political correctness. Secondly, a "bad guy" character did a bad thing. If John Cena (a role model) did it then maybe you have a point.

Pat Van Alders

I dont smoke but I am so tired of these insipid smoke nazis! They make me sick! If I had been there I would have told the wrestler to put the cigarette out on the ugly face of Patrick Reynolds!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7