Mel Gibson: The Tapes Don't Define Me

4/22/2011 9:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mel Gibson has broken his silence over those incendiary audio tapes, saying, "It's one terribly awful moment in time, said to one person in the span of one day, and doesn't represent what I truly believe or how I've treated people my entire life."

0309_mel_gibson_TMZ_BN

In the wide-ranging interview with deadlinehollywood.com, Mel says, "I've never treated anyone badly or in a discriminatory way based on their gender, race, religion or sexuality."

Mel shrugs off the torrent of criticism over the tapes, which he claims "have been edited," saying "I don't blame some people for thinking [I'm bigoted] though, from all the garbage they heard on those leaked tapes."

Mel also talks about the TMZ story in 2006, in which we published 4 pages of the arrest report which detail his anti-Semitic rant.  As we reported, at the time of the arrest, Mel felt the incident would be the last straw in his marriage.  Turns out it was true.  Mel tells "Deadline" he and his wife separated the day after the arrest.

Mel is mum on his battle with Oksana Grigorieva, but, as we first reported, says he pled no contest in the criminal case so he wouldn't drag his family through the mud.

The well-done interview also goes into great detail about Mel's new movie, "The Beaver," which some critics say is Mel's best performance ever.  The movie opens next month.

0309_mel_gibson_years_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Janeny

Me 3 days ago

it doesn't DEFINE him or show how he treats people in his everyday life but it shows how he is CAPABLE of treating someone. I am not team Mel OR team Oksana... I think they are BOTH toxic people and when mixed... they bring out the worst in each other. I also think she is a money-grubbing, calculating women. I use the term 'woman' loosely.
************************
Nobody knows what they are capable of till the time comes. But I think you're right. They both brought out the worst in each other.

Janeny

Gibson's recent interview

bomag

Everyone does not always agree, especially relationships. Miss Grigorieva should have never entrapped Mel into these recordings. Talk about a lowly stab in the back. Listen lady, I don't want to know about your life. I am writing this in support of Mr. Gibson. What was she expecting, to wear the pants in the relationship, remember this is the man who created William Wallace(Braveheart). Most men let women destroy our alpha male side. If you want to date a ***** cat, then date your own gender!
Everyone forgive and move on.

Martin Gorgeous

Mel Gibson must read a book written by a friend of mine.
It is called "The Lottery Code" by L.E. Hattingh-Spurgeon.
It will help him overcome his demons.
If anyone out there is suffering like him with addictions and is feeling alone and desperate, now you can read this book and judge for yourself if God speaks to us in our time.
Regards from South Africa!

Kim

The saying "It can't come out of you unless it's in you" has never been truer in the case of this repugnant little beast. I don't care how angry you are, there are just some things that don't fly out of your mouth so easily. He's said those things before. He'll say them again, because that's who he is at his core. Oksana may be an opportunist, but he laid out the opportunity. She taped him because she knew she'd be able to catch Mel being Mel since I doubt that was the first time she encountered Mad Mel. He's garbage.

THE BEAVER

It will all come out in the wash.

themillieblog

Right, the tapes don't define him....using n words and slurs. Also, the DUI arrest slurs totally don't define him either! o_0

THE BEAVER

Now I see how things (lies) get started. Go to youtube, there you will find a video of a man and a woman talking about Mel Gibson's lastest interview. Also they talk about those tapes. They said that Mel Gibson said that " HE WISHES" that Oksana will get raped by a pack of N.

Mel Gibson didn't say that !!

Mel said she dresses too sexy and that she could get raped ...

I am wondering now if he ever said Jews started all the wars in the world, and it that some odf them didn't like him making The Passion Of The Christ movie, and started all this BS.

Mel response to that was.. it takes two sides to start a war.
Which is true..btw.

Mel also said he didn't call anyone sugar tits.

I think this was a well planed out plot to bring down Mel Gibson.

THE BEAVER

The true meaning of the N word.

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of "ANY RACE" or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

I don't think Mel Gibson was thinking about a gang of blacks when he said that.

Any one of any race can rape..... DUH!!

TMZgossip

keep deluding yourself about racist gibson

THE BEAVER

I don't have keep deluding myself. Listen to the tapes. No where did Mel Gibson ever say he wishes her to get raped by a pack of N.

Mel said she was dresing too sexy, which could lead to her getting raped.

Here is the video of the two that actually said that Mel said that he wish Oksana would get raped by a pack of N.

Mel never said that on that tape.

I, unlike a lot of people, will stand up if someone that is being mistreated or things said about them that wasn't true.

Previous 15 Comments | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24