Katie Couric

I'm LEAVING CBS News

4/26/2011 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric has finally made it official -- announcing moments ago that she's decided to "step down" from her post at the "CBS Evening News."

Katie Couric Leaving CBS

Couric told People.com, "In making the decision to move on, I know the Evening News will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."

As for Couric's future in TV, she added, "I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling."

Couric insists the details -- including which network she will land with -- are "still being discussed."

As TMZ previously reported, she is talking with CBS about a possible daytime syndicated show ... in addition in continuing with the news division -- probably "60 Minutes."

Couric's contract is up in June -- it's likely she won't leave the show until then.

TMZ broke the story -- Katie's replacement will be "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley -- we're told that announcement will be made sometime around May 6.

Katie Couric Photos

Rottweiler

THANK GOD SHE'S LEAVING, MAYBE SHE CAN TAKE OPRAH WITH HER QUICK. SHE IS OVER-RATED AND IS A CRAPPY INTERVIEWER PLUS SHE IS BEING LED AROUND BY THE LIBERAL MEDIA MANTRA. NEWS IS HEINOUS ANYHOW, NO ONE RELIABLE NOR TRUST WORTHY, IT'S ALL ABOUT OBAMA'S CAMPAIGNING FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS. YIKES! HE DOESN'T NEED ANYMORE WAR CHEST FUNDS HE HAS A GAZILLION DOLLARS FROM SOROS AND OPRAH, HE NEEDS TO ADDRESS ALL OF THE PROBLEMS THAT A PRESIDENT SHOULD WHICH HE DOESN'T. NOT CAPABLE, NOT ABLE NOR QUALIFIED.

Old_Gregg

Katie, didn't CBS give you enough room to make up the news? Now you want to go some where else so you can make up the news or "multi-demensionalism" story telling as you call it? You need to be on the Sci-Fi channel covering UFO reports like Lester Holts. That way you can tell all of us what we should believe and a fraction of us will beleve you! Lot's of "multi-dimensional" story telling on the Sci-Fi channel. Maybe you and Lester could share a condo in Indiana. That is a hotbed for UFO activity.

MYGRANDAMGT

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pouncekitty

Storytelling! That's how the press got Obama elected!!! NO MORE STORYTELLING, Katie! How being a real journalist? How about the TRUTH?

David

She wanted to tell stories, not report the news.

Rlg

Goodbye and I WON'T miss you, however, good luck with your next venture. I will not be watching.

bill mcneal

she's not worth the ink!!!!!!

Ike

Isn't it amazing the inflated self worth these people have of themselves?

Canthisbe

Finally, Katie's being honest. She might have better success as an admitted storyteller. The reason she was a disaster as a news anchor was that she was great at making up stories - but crappy at reading the news.

FrankieBaby

You mean she had JOINED CBS Evening News. When was that?

Shish

Storytelling...maybe you can get a paying job telling lies for the Obama administration...Oh wait...you have been doing that for free for years. Go retire to Boca you used up old Barry Loving Hag and change your panties once in a while.

Linda

GOOD! It is one less liar in the news media.

I Chinee

Donna:

What did she do to Sarah Palin besides ask her questions? It ain't her fault Palin didn't know the answers.

William

Her job was to report the news not tell stories. If she wants to tell multidimensional stories, get her a job on Sesame Street.

And thats the truth

****************************************************************

OMG, this has to be the funniest post I have read in a long time! Thank you for the laugh! I can't stand Katie and I see that I am certainly no alone. She is the most disrespectful arrogant hack I have ever seen and WAY to old to be called "Katie"....ugly little troll.