Katie Couric

I'm LEAVING CBS News

4/26/2011 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric has finally made it official -- announcing moments ago that she's decided to "step down" from her post at the "CBS Evening News."

Katie Couric Leaving CBS

Couric told People.com, "In making the decision to move on, I know the Evening News will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."

As for Couric's future in TV, she added, "I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling."

Couric insists the details -- including which network she will land with -- are "still being discussed."

As TMZ previously reported, she is talking with CBS about a possible daytime syndicated show ... in addition in continuing with the news division -- probably "60 Minutes."

Couric's contract is up in June -- it's likely she won't leave the show until then.

TMZ broke the story -- Katie's replacement will be "60 Minutes" correspondent Scott Pelley -- we're told that announcement will be made sometime around May 6.

Katie Couric Photos

Puckett

lol she acts like she had a choice in the matter. Good riddance to her...

klipper

inept, juvenile, hostile...

klipper

couric's reporting: inept, juvenile, hostile

couric's personality: revolting; cute-and-perky on the outside; total bitch on the inside.

klipper

couric's reporting: juvenile, inept, hostile

couric's personality: revolting, 'cute-and perky'-on-the-outside; total bitch on the inside.

Fanny Forbes Franklen

Please take your millions and just go away. Take Oprah with you too.

----- http://911essentials.com

Terryl

I new that want she was reporting didn't sound right. "she added, "I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling."" So much for the truth.

Bob Stockton

Why not? She's been telling stories as a news anchor for years.

Edvin smith

What reason for leaving the News channel?

Hydroxatone

greggor

Oh really? Is there a platform more engaged in multi-dimensional storytelling than that of CBS news? That's gonna be one tough task, Katie.

hillcoguy

As the first million dollar anchor woman, what's she going to do with all her money? Give it to 0'bammy to "spread around"? Bet she won't!

The Bobster

When Chipmunk Cheeks gave her version of the news, she was "storytelling".

florian

she says "I am looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling."

I thought that is what her news coverage was, just storytelling as it sure wasn't journalism when it was about the libs or obama

eric blair

Where is this woman's fan base? She don't have one except upper Manhattan, the rest of the country her a resounding thumbs down at CBS and now someone will throw huge money at her for a tepid low rated talk show. They'll be great fanfare, lotsa women's rags covers, some emotional interviews then ZZZZZZZ! She's not as sleazy as Maury and Jerry and in no way is a respected journalist the likes of 60 minutes crew or for that matter have an audience appeal the likes of Ellen and Judge Judy - yet they'll pay her big money.

You heard it here first, just like years back when I predicted she would sink even deeper than Dan the Weird in the anchor chair. What a frozen manufactured fraud this perky 55 year old be.

DONNA

Katie only reason you are leaving your contract up and no offer
due to your viewers dropping.
What goes around comes around.

Jenny

She was cute for about 20 minutes when she first started with Greg Gumbel or whoever about 20 years ago. Then she got annoying.