Katie Couric On the Verge of

$20 Million ABC Deal

5/5/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric and ABC television are on the verge of signing a $20 million deal, which would give Katie her own talk show, as well as significant involvement in ABC News -- and the big casualty could be "General Hospital."
0504_katie_couric_ex
Sources connected with ABC tell TMZ -- under the deal that is in the final stages -- Katie would do specials for ABC News, "20/20," and do a significant amount of fill-in work -- including anchoring.

ABC would also give Katie a 1-hour, 5-day-a-week syndicated talk show, that would begin in September, 2012.  Our sources say ... one option ABC is considering is giving its affiliates back the hour where "General Hospital" airs to make room for Katie.  In other words, ABC would axe the third longest-running soap in history and the last one standing on ABC.

ABC is also realistic, believing that one of its two new 2011 syndicated shows will fail, leaving room for K.C.

We're told ... when the dust settles and ABC's daytime schedule gets rearranged, Katie would probably land in the 3 PM time slot.

BTW ... we're told Matt Lauer will NOT be part of Katie's show.

As for the moola, our sources say the entire package for Katie and her partner, Jeff Zucker is a $20 million GUARANTEE for the syndicated show -- and that's just for the the first year.  We're also told Katie will get a "nominal amount" for her work in the news division.

mkope1

HOPE YOUR READING ALL THESE NEGATIVE POSTS ABOUT COURIC AND PEOPLE NOT WATCHING ABC ANYMORE!!!WAKE UP AND DONT GIVE THIS NO TALENT HACK ANY MONEY.TRUST ME YOUR WASTING IT!!!!WAKE UP ABC!!!

Onalee

I Can't Stomach The Witch
And Will NEVER Watch ANYTHING she's On!!!

Angelface_7

This is some BS!

j.

If they get rid of General Hospital you will loose a lot more viewers. I will never watch ABC again. I will boycott ABC/ Disney movies and anything Disney.

Jen0202

I've been watching General Hospital since I was 4, almost 31 years. It's my guilty pleasure and probably my favorite show in TV. I really don't know what ABC is trying to accomplish here. They had 3 successful, very long running soap operas for 3 hours Monday-Friday. One day they just decide to cancel two shows to put on crap (yes crap, because it is shows that is already on 16 other channels), admitting they think at least one of those shows will fail. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!! Fans are happy!!! Leave it alone!!! Now they "may" cancel General Hospital which is the 2 most popular soap opera on television??? Are they STUPID????? This has to be a bog fat JOKE!!!! In the end the plan HAS to be move General Hospital to another time, give the Queen Katie the 3:00 spot, and which ever crap show doesn't fail be the 3rd hour.

ABC is making a BIG mistake with all of this, they will lose money, will make themselves look like idiots, and will lose many viewers. If they dare to cancel General Hospital I think they may have an alright boycott on their hands.....

ShoeGal87

go to "SAVE GENERAL HOSPITAL ON ABC" on FACEBOOK and "like" the page! :) LETS SAVE GH TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

OMG She can not bring in the ratings. We're no watching her. Disney does not know what we want because we want our soaps to stay. ABC is in for a rude awakening because once the soaps goes everyone is tuning out ABC. No more ratings for ABC.

Mike

how is it that some people with "no talent" just seem to attract money?

el

are you freaking kidding me? ABC crying theres no money for the soaps but they will pay one person 20 million??? im glad im boycotting abc and will continue to do so...when my soaps are gone so am i. abc will never be on im my house again!!!

i tell you if these keeps up, all tv trashy reality shows,cooking shows, and news...i might as well get rid of my $200.00 a month time warner cable bill...i refuse to pay so much for just this crap!!! NO SOAPS NO ABC!!!

iplayoneontv

Okay, so if I tank CBS News for 5 years, can I get ABC to pay me $20 million, too?

SLOWriter

This might be a pretty good deal for all: ABC. Couric/Zucker & syndication! Especially considering that the ABC O&O's know that an Oprah-like info/entertainment based lead-in has been very good for their news. Oprah used to convert 70% of her viewers into early news viewers many years ago which is critical to local affiliates.

On the business side, ABC usually wants 'ownership,' so they'll probably take 50% of the back-end in exchange for this generous guarantee up front.

The question I have is that if ABC is "giving back" the General Hospital hour to it's affiliates, there's no guarantee they'll take this new show. If that's the case, while many ABC affiliates might buy this show, it also means syndication wins as well for shows like Dr. Oz, etc.

Doug

Failing upwards.

PSba

I thought the point of having a TV network was to have viewers. Seems to me w the cancellation of AMC, OLTL and now GH and replacing them w cooking and talk shows = minimal viewers. Soap watchers will just switch to another soap on another network. (and lament the loss of our own)

Kortesa

If Katie was so good they wouldn't be getting rid of her. She has no personality at all. Put her on at 4:00 and have her bomb then. Taking General Hopital off is a big mistake, it's like an institution. How many food and talk shows can you have on TV. I hope ABC loses all its viewers in the afternoon for pulling the shows that are on now. I guess thry'd rather pay out all those buck to a no-talent Couric instead of keeping its fan base on one of the most popular shows on TV. Non common sense CEO's are ruining the economy and now their ruining TVas well. Thank God for cable stations.

Jazzmin9

Whoever is charge of photoshopping should be fired.