Katie Couric On the Verge of

$20 Million ABC Deal

5/5/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric and ABC television are on the verge of signing a $20 million deal, which would give Katie her own talk show, as well as significant involvement in ABC News -- and the big casualty could be "General Hospital."
0504_katie_couric_ex
Sources connected with ABC tell TMZ -- under the deal that is in the final stages -- Katie would do specials for ABC News, "20/20," and do a significant amount of fill-in work -- including anchoring.

ABC would also give Katie a 1-hour, 5-day-a-week syndicated talk show, that would begin in September, 2012.  Our sources say ... one option ABC is considering is giving its affiliates back the hour where "General Hospital" airs to make room for Katie.  In other words, ABC would axe the third longest-running soap in history and the last one standing on ABC.

ABC is also realistic, believing that one of its two new 2011 syndicated shows will fail, leaving room for K.C.

We're told ... when the dust settles and ABC's daytime schedule gets rearranged, Katie would probably land in the 3 PM time slot.

BTW ... we're told Matt Lauer will NOT be part of Katie's show.

As for the moola, our sources say the entire package for Katie and her partner, Jeff Zucker is a $20 million GUARANTEE for the syndicated show -- and that's just for the the first year.  We're also told Katie will get a "nominal amount" for her work in the news division.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

Butterfly

I HAVE NOT WATCHED THE SOAPS SINCE MY SONS WERE BABIES. Perhaps the "suits" who negotiated canceling GH, which seems to be the most favorite of all soaps, to "save" money by adding to the growing unemployed list in favor of such an unpopular, insulting, "better than you" Katie Couric, by offering her such an outlandish salary, which is laughable, if it were not so serious. Perhaps these "suits" should trade in their Wall Street apparel for something more fitting to their newly created image.

Pam

That would effectively free me completely from anything that ABC and Disney put out! Scrap General Hospital in favor of that twit, and I'm done!

ME

No one.......and I mean NO ONE....is worth 20 million. When are these outrageous salaries going to stop? Movie stars(?), sports figures, tv people......I say it again.....NO ONE IS WORTH that much money.

nancy fields

Please, no more talk or food shows. I am so sick of these shows. I have already boycotted abc and pretty soon I will be able to dump my cable. There will be nothing else on I like to watch. I look forward to my soaps. Give us a break and leave our soaps alone. We have three hours a day of soaps. The rest of tv is talk, reality, shopping, food, etc. We are faithful soap watchers and most of us have been for 40 years. We deserve at least our three hours of soaps. The rest of the 24 hours I do not care what you do. LEAVE OUR SOAPS ALONE!!!!!!!!!!

mary stevens

once the soaps are gone ,ABC is history.Disney is already a distant memory.I hope all their new shows are flops,as they will be losing thousands of viewers.

carole

Ok I like Katie Couric, but not to the extent of possibly losing General Hospital to her. I have watched this show since I came to the USA in 1971, it has given story lines that pertain to what is going on in our actual lives and that people can relate to. If they cancel this soap as well as the other ones, I can honestly say ABC will lose a lot of viewers, one will be me.

Marlene

Wouldn't even think of watching Katie Couric...no matter who her guests are!

Lor

Katie isn't even worth prime time evening TV. If ABC removes GH, they clearly need a labotomy. General Hospital is one of the best written and fun shows to watch on the air. I for one rarely have time to watch television but tape GH every morning before I leave the house and enjoy watching it before I go to bed. Must everything be a moronic reality show or news program? Its nice to have a deversion from realities at least once a day. If this is to happen, I will NEVER again click onto the network again.

Alan Carver

ABC is ridiculous for thinking that Katie Couric is even remotely going to be a draw in regards to viewership. She was not a ratings winner for CBS, so why does ABC think that her luck is going to turn by coming over to their network? It seems to me that they've mistaken what the viewers really want to see and seeing Katic Couric on another network is really presumptuous on their part. I have no interest in seeing Katic Couric on CBS, NBC or any other network for that matter.

Isaiah Goodwin

Katie Couric is so dry and her smile even looks fake. Even if I didn't hate ABC and would ever watch anything on it I wouldn't watch her, The Chew and The Revolution but won't be watching any ABC shows. Brian Frons is against women and especially ones over 50. I can't believe that he is representing ABC. I would be embaressed but that is what Disney should be. Shame on all of you. As your pockets get deeper putting thousands out of work.

Cindy

This would be a big waste of money. Katie is not worth that much. If one more soap leaves I will have to stop watching ABC. I look forward to seeing my soaps every day. Don't know what I will do, just read I guess. That is just what we need is another news talking show. Isn't the country in enough trouble?

Jeana

ABC are idiots!

nate

General Hospital MUST STAY!!!!!! You have to be kidding me!

Kacey

I would never watch her show, we already have too many talk shows and reality tv, I have been watching GH since I was a teenager I will be very upset if they take it off the air, and to the person who said only housewife and unemployeed people are home at 3 to watch Gh, I want you to know I work a full time Job, my hours are 6am to 2:45 so I am home in time to watch GH....

monica

OMG THIS SUCKS SO MUCH NO ONE REALLY CARES ABOUT THIS SHOW AND BECAUSE OF IT MY FAV. SHOW OF ALL TIME WILL PROBABLY BE CANCELLED...YOU GUYS ARE REDICULOUS AND SUCK. WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE STUPID SHOWS LIKE THIS ONE AND THATS ALL THERE IS TO IT- PERIOD!!! TAKE SOME OTHER SHOW THAT SUCKS AWAY LIKE THE REDICULOUS REALITY SHOWS OUT THERE NOT THE GOOD ONES THAT GET GREAT RATINGS THAT WE FANS LOVE SO MUCH. AS IF THIS WOMAN DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY ANYWAY...LEAVE G.H ALONE!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12