Katie Couric On the Verge of

$20 Million ABC Deal

5/5/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric and ABC television are on the verge of signing a $20 million deal, which would give Katie her own talk show, as well as significant involvement in ABC News -- and the big casualty could be "General Hospital."
0504_katie_couric_ex
Sources connected with ABC tell TMZ -- under the deal that is in the final stages -- Katie would do specials for ABC News, "20/20," and do a significant amount of fill-in work -- including anchoring.

ABC would also give Katie a 1-hour, 5-day-a-week syndicated talk show, that would begin in September, 2012.  Our sources say ... one option ABC is considering is giving its affiliates back the hour where "General Hospital" airs to make room for Katie.  In other words, ABC would axe the third longest-running soap in history and the last one standing on ABC.

ABC is also realistic, believing that one of its two new 2011 syndicated shows will fail, leaving room for K.C.

We're told ... when the dust settles and ABC's daytime schedule gets rearranged, Katie would probably land in the 3 PM time slot.

BTW ... we're told Matt Lauer will NOT be part of Katie's show.

As for the moola, our sources say the entire package for Katie and her partner, Jeff Zucker is a $20 million GUARANTEE for the syndicated show -- and that's just for the the first year.  We're also told Katie will get a "nominal amount" for her work in the news division.

Sincerity

To an extent, Katie Couric would be returning to what she does best, interviewing people. Considering that she was very popular when she anchored the "Today Show" on NBC, this may be a "win-win" situation for both her and ABC. It would be interesting to see, if she can battle it out with the rest of the daytime show titans. She better sign while ABC is interested!!!

MIDNIGHT TOKER

just how many talk shows can you seriously have?
at 3:00 only people watchibng tv are stay at home moms eating bon bons and unemployed lazy bums..20 million..hell offer her 2 million and save 18 million..

BehemothMoon

I stopped watching NBC when she was on their network because of Couric, I hope she doesn't come to ABC.

I remember an interview she did many, many years ago with Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock (I forget what they were promoting together). Couric had just negotiated a new multi million $$ contract but was giving Seinfeld a hard time, saying he should donate a couple of his Porsche's to whatever PC cause she was pushing at the time. Her comment came out of left field and had nothing to do with what they were there to promote. She was so brutal about it that Seinfeld was taken off guard and became flustered. Well Rock jumped in and very bluntly told her maybe she should donate 1/2 of her new multi million dollar contract to this charity if it was so dear to her heart (not his exact words but her just cut her off). She became very uncomfortable after that and shut her yap. It was funny as heck to hear Chris Rock heckling her into silence.

radicalred

Exactly WHY is Katie Couric worth $20 million?

♥TMZ but ...

why????

pattycake

Just in case someone at ABC is keeping score...put me down for never watching her on her own talk show or any special she does.
I know Oprah is going away but Katie will never take her place. But nice try ABC.

lynden

I cant beleive people get paid big bucks for no talent. Get off the air Couric, you're stinking up the place.

American Mom

TMZ just wants to get everyone all upset. No way will General Hospital be cancelled. Brian Frons himself said General Hospital will be staying on ABC for a long long time!
Shame on you TMZ for trying to cause trouble to get comments and ratings. Really that desperate?

Natters5

ABC is going to realize a year from now how out of touch they are with their audience with all these terrible, very expensive decisions they are making now. We don't need another talk show!

vicky

S.O.B.'s

dawn

omg no gh for this dumb bitch i swear i will never watch abc again **** ur station cbs is the best

dannilam

Honestly enough is enough already...I will fight with all I got to support my only show left (GENERAL HOSPITAL) is simply the best soap left on daytime tv. I would not watch this Couric nonsense. She does not need a daytime talk show. I am discusted that yet again these tv producers feel its ok to cancel these soaps. People do actually watch them and enjoy them. I have watched GH since I was five years old. Yes five, when I was younger I had to stay with friends after school till my mom got done with work and we would watch th program with the sitter very quietly. I can not believe this is yet again coming up and another daytime show is on the verge of cancellation. I will vote against it!!!

Jessica

ABC, all I got to say is your making a big mistake canceling all the soaps to put this kind of nonsense on. Once this happens, if it does I will NEVER watch ABC again along with many other viewers!

Walter

Oh no, people are threatening not to watch ABC if they cancel GH! Guess what, there are more than enough people who will watch Couric to make up for the few people still left watching overly expensive, non-revenue generating soaps.

brwnsugar33

ABC just loves pissing off the fans and now they are bring Katie Couric to ABC where no there will be no audience to watch her. I did not want soaps cancelled for another talk show or any of the other shows and Brian Frons and Disney/ABC have made the biggest mistakes in messing with soap fans.