Katie Couric On the Verge of

$20 Million ABC Deal

5/5/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric and ABC television are on the verge of signing a $20 million deal, which would give Katie her own talk show, as well as significant involvement in ABC News -- and the big casualty could be "General Hospital."
0504_katie_couric_ex
Sources connected with ABC tell TMZ -- under the deal that is in the final stages -- Katie would do specials for ABC News, "20/20," and do a significant amount of fill-in work -- including anchoring.

ABC would also give Katie a 1-hour, 5-day-a-week syndicated talk show, that would begin in September, 2012.  Our sources say ... one option ABC is considering is giving its affiliates back the hour where "General Hospital" airs to make room for Katie.  In other words, ABC would axe the third longest-running soap in history and the last one standing on ABC.

ABC is also realistic, believing that one of its two new 2011 syndicated shows will fail, leaving room for K.C.

We're told ... when the dust settles and ABC's daytime schedule gets rearranged, Katie would probably land in the 3 PM time slot.

BTW ... we're told Matt Lauer will NOT be part of Katie's show.

As for the moola, our sources say the entire package for Katie and her partner, Jeff Zucker is a $20 million GUARANTEE for the syndicated show -- and that's just for the the first year.  We're also told Katie will get a "nominal amount" for her work in the news division.

bh

who cares this wench is useless

Sindelfingen Girl

I can't believe ABC's talking about cancelling General Hospital!!!! I've been watching it for 25 years!! They seriously can't find another time slot???

Strokadellic

I'd rather watch my own death than this chick on TV or anywhere else. Totally uninteresting/unappealing to the point of disgust.

tina

OK, so they are going to pay ONE person this kind of money and they are going to put the hundreds of people that work on these soaps out of work? makes NO sense! Maybe Oprahs struggling network will pick up the soaps, and I would bet they all have a surge in viewership again, and put ABC back in its place.

Jimbo

Who the hell wants to watch an hour of that botoxed piano-toothed moron every day? Her ratings sucked at CBS and now ABC wants to axe GH for her? WTF is wrong with these people? And, 20 MILLION for Katie Couric? That's just nucking futs! She's bland, vapid, and did I mention bland?

Lillyelm

Really . . . I didn't like her doing the news . . . I will not be watching her doing a talk show . . I much rather have the soaps. At least they are interesting. ABC - wrong move.

anotherfnday

WORTHLESS C*u*N*t

db

OMG!

If you listen to her on radio as I do you would hear a VERY
BORING voice. These people are a dime a dozen and we need
something new and fresh. Nice gal but boring.

Sammie

We need another talk show like we need another reality show but it is more her forte'.

Walter Ward

Who really gives a rats ass where she goes with the squeeky voice.

dukes

I don't think anyone in any line of work except the armed forces or police and firemen are worth that king of money. No athletes, actors & actresses nor the CEO's. And certainly not a TV news-reporter.

Vicki Biggs

You can't get rid of General Hospital. Has many faithful watchers myself over 30 years. This would not be acceptable.

roxanne

Brian Frans is a LIAR!! He has planned to call General Hospital all along. I will say this -- cancel GH and I am done with ABC FOREVER!!! Katey Couric? Seriously?!?!?! The man needs to be committed to Shadybrook for even considering this for one second.

CR

what a COLOSSAL waste of money WTF? no one is worth that! ESPECIALLY her

patti

They could advertise for free money, and I would never again watch ABC. Those heartless, money hungry morons will be in for a rude awakening. The very people that helped build them up will be knocking them down.