Katie Couric On the Verge of

$20 Million ABC Deal

5/5/2011 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Katie Couric and ABC television are on the verge of signing a $20 million deal, which would give Katie her own talk show, as well as significant involvement in ABC News -- and the big casualty could be "General Hospital."
0504_katie_couric_ex
Sources connected with ABC tell TMZ -- under the deal that is in the final stages -- Katie would do specials for ABC News, "20/20," and do a significant amount of fill-in work -- including anchoring.

ABC would also give Katie a 1-hour, 5-day-a-week syndicated talk show, that would begin in September, 2012.  Our sources say ... one option ABC is considering is giving its affiliates back the hour where "General Hospital" airs to make room for Katie.  In other words, ABC would axe the third longest-running soap in history and the last one standing on ABC.

ABC is also realistic, believing that one of its two new 2011 syndicated shows will fail, leaving room for K.C.

We're told ... when the dust settles and ABC's daytime schedule gets rearranged, Katie would probably land in the 3 PM time slot.

BTW ... we're told Matt Lauer will NOT be part of Katie's show.

As for the moola, our sources say the entire package for Katie and her partner, Jeff Zucker is a $20 million GUARANTEE for the syndicated show -- and that's just for the the first year.  We're also told Katie will get a "nominal amount" for her work in the news division.

Karl

She sucks. I hate her. I will never watch the show.

DD

NOOOOOOOOO! Someone, please just make her go away. I don't want to see this on TMZ, I don't want to hear advertisements for her new show and thank goodness I'm at work during her on screen time.

oldgramh

I already have been boycotting ABC because of the cancelling of my soaps. If they continue with this daytime schedule change my 40 plus yrs of viewing ABC is over!!!!

Katrina

ABC you SUCK!!!!!!

PM61

The soulless, venal greedheads running ABC Daytime prefer a cheaply produced talker with Katie Couric over the longest running soap opera in their network's history. If this happens, I will no longer watch anything that Disney produces.

Abbey

Please don't cancel General Hospital! it is my favorite soap!

Tina

Why, oh why, is Katie Couric so sought after? I do not get it. Have never enjoyed watching her and do not understand what all the hoopla is about. I could live the rest of my life quite happily never having to see her stupid gummy smile again.

mamajj

OH PLEASE NOOOOOOO!!!!! First they cancel AMC & OLTL to make room for food & life style shows. NOW they are going to take GH for Katie? I will not be watching any of these boring shows. I hope they all bomb & ABC gets bit in the a$$!! What ABC fails to realize is that most women DVR the soaps now & watch when they get home. Or they watch on the internet. The rating system is jacked. It doesn't really reflect the true number of people that are watching. BIG MISTAKE ABC. FRONS SHOULD BE FIRED!!!! SAVE OUR SOPAS!!!!!

Michelle

You Ax General Hospital then consider ABC lost for good GH has a very strong fan base and who wants to see Katie C there!!! That would be the biggest mistake ever!!

tinasue

DEAR.. ABC wow what a BIG mistake.. click i just turned the channel..

poloman

Just shows that in the liberal world failure is always rewarded. These people need to get a taste of the real world.

Pretty_Poison

I am sorry, if they are pulling out the soaps, then I am not watching the replacement programs. Most people TiVo their soaps and watch them at night when they get home from work. You think we are going to TiVo another talk show, another food show? Those are a dime a dozen now on television.

Katie Couric in a sinking ship..but take at 20 mil Katie and run with it to the bank.

MushroomStamp

Talk about throwing good money after bad. ummm, she hasn't produced anything since she left her morning gig. Her ratings are in the toilet and always have been. So why would they give someone so much money that can't seem to produce results in anything other than her original gig?

She's old and a has been. Nobody wants to watch her.

hitecluddite

If ABC axes General Hospital in favor of Katie bitch Couric, it will be the last time I ever watch anything on ABC. Put her on with the infomerials . That is the audience she deserves.

gythia

Love TMZ--so glad you don't come on the ABC affiliate her so I won't have to boycott you over this! I wish I knew the names of all your story pitchers! Do something about that! Anyway, tell the young lady to keep expressing her angst about soap cancellations, and ask James Franco why he hasn't spoken up about this!