President Obama WILL NOT Release Death Photo

5/4/2011 10:37 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

President Barack Obama has now decided he will NOT release the ultra-gory photos of Osama bin Laden's bloody, bullet-ridden face to the public.

0504_osama_BN_Getty-01

The news comes in the wake of reports that Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Hillary Clinton had advised Obama about concerns that releasing a photograph could prompt a backlash against the U.S.

Obama told "60 Minutes" ... "The risks of release outweigh the benefits" ... adding, "Conspiracy theorists around the world will just claim the photos are doctored anyway, and there is a real risk that releasing the photos will only serve to inflame public opinion in the Middle East."

Obama continued, "Imagine how the American people would react if al-Qaida killed one of our troops or military leaders, and put photos of the body on the internet."

"Osama bin Laden is not a trophy -- he is dead and let's now focus on continuing the fight until al-Qaida has been eliminated."

dd

People are going to bitch about it either way so who cares as long as he's dead.

cjkitti

Pro USA, very well spoken posts. Janala14, really I don't know what's up with you. You try to make arguments by being condenscending to others with opposing views, insult their intelligence, lamely attempt to speak for their intentions, imply lack of common sense, on and on... I don't think you get for a nanosecond you're tone when it comes to a "debate" or addressing arguments. Read all your posts again. Not to mention you sound a little angry there girl. Everyone is allowed to their own opinions. My mom's been a nurse for over 30 years, she didn't support Obama's healthcare, as did many others she works with. I'm in college for nursing (two years later and still a 4.0... go figure, and a Obama nonsupporter!). Imagine an intelligent republican...lol... Really you have to recognize that little superiority thing you got going on there and realize that everyone has different opinions and respect that... just sayin...

wtf?

First, I'm glad the filth, bin Laden, is dead. However, I'm curious: Would the likes of Keith Olbermann, Chris "the spitter" Matthews, Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper, Joy Behar, Barbara Walters, Karen Johnson(whoopie goldberg), Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Streisand, Rosie O'Donnell, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, etc. be as complimentary if George W. Bush and **** Cheyney entered a sovereign country, without its permission, stormed a house in a residential neighborhood which contained several women and children, murdered bin Laden when he was admittedly (NOW) unarmed, and dumped his body into the sea? I do believe they would call him a rogue cowboy and call for his removal from the office of the presidency and perhaps for his death. These ultra liberals who are against effing waterboarding are all of a sudden all for shooting someone's brains out, when he's not even armed. Joy Behar pronounced that "we love our president." I am thrilled that bin Laden is gone...but I despise phony-a$$ stand for nothing ultra liberals. They have neither morals nor convictions.

afaye

i dont believe he is dead... just a show.... show me the proof... dna in one day. put in the sea..???? come on.. it does not take a rocket scientist to know this is a hoax

PRO US

cjkitti less than a minute ago

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, cjkitti. I enjoyed reading your post. It was very articulate, incisive, rational, logical and down to earth. Very refreshing. Well done. Your calm, caring, reasoned attitude is inspiring and suggests you will make an excellent nurse. Many of us can get a little emotional on certain issues and should remember to try to be tolerant of others' opinions as long as they show others a modi*** of respect.

As far as the issue of the pictures of the dead Osama goes, I for one would be willing to compromise if Obama insists on not letting the American people as a whole see them. At the very least, Obama should allow the immediate family members of all the victims of Al Quaida from 9/11, Afghanistan, the USS Cole and other Al Quaida attacks to see the pictures of the dead Osama Bin Laden in private if they so request. That would be respectful of the families of those American citizens who fell from the vicious and unjustified attacks of that barbarian and his followers. To not do so, would be to deny some measure of closure to the stricken and suffering American families and that would be unforgivable.

allen

ok if they wont show us the pics of him dead instead they should show us what they found at roswell.i think thats fair.

emerald

janala14 LOL!! If the only thing you disagree with in my comment is the last line that states Faith is fine, closing your eyes and wearing blinkers to what is really going on in the world is idiotic I guess you're just out for a an argument!

What the comment means, as you say you don't understand, is that there is no excuse for being blind to what is really going on in the world as a whole and just believing everything our politicians tell us as facts! Of course you have to have some faith in the President and government, but that doesn't mean when someone comes along with a fact that doesn't agree with your view of them or you don't want to believe is true, that the fact is automatically false!
Blindly following any politician believing they are looking out for our interests is no longer acceptable, there have been too many incidents even in the last 20 years where we have been lied to and let down by our leaders! The result is more poverty in the western world than in Victorian times, we've got more families living in poverty now than ever before and half the world at least is fighting a war somewhere! Our politicians should have to answer to us, not just at election time when they need out votes! Every politician has his good and bad decisions, everyone of them makes mistakes, health reforms in all countries are always the vote winning platform with promises made and it never gets better because the decisions they make always affect the ones who need help most! I have seen that personally in more than one country!
In the end we are sat here on a gossip site that's article has everyone fighting over whether a picture of Bin Laden dead with his brains and blood seeping all over the floor should be shown to the World regardless of the retaliation that would bring! We trust Obama now right? We trust Osama is dead - I'm sure he would have released an internet video to deny that by now if it was false right? So instead of worrying about that how about we get back to worrying about the people suffering in the South after those damn tornadoes destroyed land, property and killed over 300 people!
Tunnel vision (wearing blinkers) means you miss everything but the one particular thing you are concentrated on! As I recall one of Obama's other platform promises was that he'd have the soldiers back by December - oops, guess that one got broken then hm?!
Is the glass half full or half empty, I guess it's just the way you view things but in this day and age where terrorism still exists even with Bin Laden dead - It would be foolish to think for one moment there won't be a retaliation by those who blindly follow him and are prepared to kill themselves in order to kill as many others around them as possible, regardless of race, ethnicity, color, sex or age! It may not be tomorrow, it may not be next month, but it will come and if it's true no Arab nation was prepared to have his body buried in their country, it's not for any other reason than they know his grave site would be a tomb of martydom for his followers to worship at and who wants Al Queida constantly on their doorstep hm?!
JMO!!

PRO US

wtf? 12 minutes ago

--------------------------------------------------------------

wtf?, you hit the nail on the head. Those loony tune radical, extremist left-wing nutcases are a bunch of hypocrites when it comes to how George Bush and how Barack Obama have prosecuted the war on terror. I know Obama doesn't like to call it a "war on terror" but what can we do? It's not a war on banana wholesalers or washing machine retailers. It's a war against terrorists, and Obama might be afraid to say most murdering terrorists are Muslims who have defiled Islam, but I'm not.

Most Muslims don't support Osama Bin Laden and Al Quaida and they're glad he's dead and they couldn't care less if the pictures of a dead Osama are shown. They don't even think Osama was a good Muslim, so why are so worried about showing his pictures? They know we're not at war with Islam. We don't care what your religion is as long as you respect the laws of our countries and basic human rights like equal civil rights, the right to vote, to have a free press, to practice your religion in peace, the right to peaceful assembly and equal rights for women and citizens of all races, religions, ethnic backgrounds, etc. We saved the lives of millions of Muslims in Bosnia and Kuwait. They remember that. So, don't live in fear, Obama! Show us the pictures!

And maybe it wasn't "playing according to Hoyle" for the Navy Seals to shoot an unarmed Osama dead, but how many deaths of innocent people do you have to be responible for before you deserve to be executed? Can you imagine putting on Osama on trial and some lawyer getting him off on a technicality? Can you imagine how many innocents Al Quaida would kidnap and take hostage to try and rescue an imprisoned Osama? Of all the people in the world out of 7 billion people, did anyone deserve to die more than Osama Bin Laden. I think not. But don't tell me that we respected International Law when we executed an unarmed man. In the "Real World", sometimes you have to say "To Hell" with "International Law".

May the innocent fallen who were killed by Al Quaida under the direction of Osama Bin Laden rest in peace.

cjkitti

Thanks Pro...

Yes, I agree with showing the families the photos if they want to see them. Then at least I would feel comfortable knowing someone saw them. Honestly, I just don't trust this president whatsoever, and not because I'm afraid of socialism, or lack common sense, or any other implied reasons; more so, because I think he's arrogant, a phony, an engineered puppet, and a liar. That's my opinion, I'm entitled to it. I think whatever he does is designed to make him look good. It was strange the way he roasted Trump to belittle him and make a joke out of him, then the very next day Obama is a hero by orchestrating Osama's death. Now there's his trip to ground zero, when he's never been back there since running for president, not even on 9-11. It's all for his pomp and cir***stance. Really it makes my stomach turn. Not to mention only certain families of the victims are being invited to this ceremony, namely the ones who support him and are not on the list of people giving him a hard time for not going there sooner. Take Care!:)

fran

well then I guess Obama isnt looking for votes if 60% of the population is against him..RE:PRO US I would say the President is taking a very unpopular stand for someone that only wants to be voted back in.....he is being sensible and some of you cant or wont see it. I guess if the Taliban or al-Qaeda can act like savages it must be okay for the Americans to act the same way..is that how it goes ..is that what all you adults want to show the rest of the world....

emerald

wtf? Fair point about Bush, they would have no do doubt found something to criticise! However, the CNN story I read just now says that although Bin Laden was unarmed he had guns nearby and was moving towards them, which is why they shot without waiting for him to be armed! His adult son is confirmed dead and the Seals had to fight their way up to the second or third floor so they did encounter resistance. He was shot in front of his 12-13 year old daughter and his wife was shot in the leg because she charged the Seals! He may not have had an AK47 in his hand but they recovered 5 guns from the room at least and 5 mobile phones lol!
In the end the terrorist leader of Al Queda is dead, which is what everyone wanted of that I can say I have no doubt! As for Obama, well 2012 is election year isn't it he'll find out then how the people feel about his choices - there's not going to be a fairytale procession into power next time, the question is will he run and if he does so how dirty the campaign will get!!

Jill

If I'm not mistaken hasn't Al-Qaida shown pictures of our troops killed and posted them on the internet! Either way if we post pics of Bin Laden dead or not Al-Qaida is going to most likely retaliate regardless because we killed there "leader". Just show the damn pic's already!

cjkitti

Fran-
Really, let's just end this and ask the troops what THEY want. Do they want the pictures shown? They're the ones risking their a#$. They should decide. Not for nothing, but I'm not one to sit behind my white picket fence, take the governments word for everything they say without questioning it, and sing kumbayah. Like we've said, at least show the families, or other trustworthy sources, so it could be put to rest. Not to be a total jerk, but realistically I can tell you anything I want on the internet. I could tell you I have a son there to support my views. I know that sounds horrible, but it's true. Do you always accept everything that people tell you without ever questioning it? You're worried about us being savages, but apparently they said he was unarmed when he was shot, so now do we pick and choose when to act unethical and moral and label it so?

PRO US

fran 9 minutes ago

------------------------------------------------------------

You're deliberately comparing innocent, law-abiding, hardworking Americans who want to see the pictures of Osama Bin Lden dead to Al Quaida terrorists who callously murdered thousands of innocent Americans? You must be mentally disturbed or a traitor.

I'm not going to debate someone like you who is that crazy or a a traitor. I hope for your own sake and that of your family, that you get some psychological help. Say whatever you like. It's a free country. But with what you've said, you've gone beyond the pale; What you've said is unforgivable. I won't respond to you anymore. What's the point? You're totally NUTS and totally pathetic. I pity you, you poor thing. You must be miserable hating your own country and countrymen so much.

PRO US

Reuters published the picture of 1 of the dead males from the Osama compound. The picture was pretty gruesome and I don't see why it was necessary to publish it because no one in the West really cares who that guy was. If you insist on seeing his picture, you can at:

But, I thought this comment on the story was pretty funny and insightful:

"Oh no, Reuters has offended the Muslim world now and (now) they will hate America...just when we were getting along so well."

Previous 15 Comments | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments