Honda Spokesman -- I Got Screwed At Honda Dealer!!

5/8/2011 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

A man claims he got royally screwed at a Honda dealership ... the twist to this story -- he's the guy who pitches Hondas on TV.

0506_honda_launch_EX

Dennis Singletary tells TMZ he went to an L.A. Honda dealership in April to buy a 4-door Honda Civic and wanted the very same deal he pitches on national televsion -- "The Really Big Thing" ... which  is 0% down, low finance rates and $190 a month payments.

Dennis qualified because his credit rate was a solid 709. Problem was -- the dealership didn't have the car he wanted. So Dennis trotted over to another dealership which DID have the car ... and that's where he endured a gross miscarriage of car justice.

Dennis claims the dealer wouldn't give him "The Really Big Thing," because according to the dealer his credit score was only 663.

Dennis protested to no avail. Finally, in frustration, Dennis called the first dealer -- put him on the speaker phone and asked him to repeat his credit score -- 709.

But the 2nd dealer was immovable -- sticking Dennis with the lower score.

Dennis finally pulled a, "Do you know who I am" ... left in a huff and fired off a letter to corporate ... saying, "How is it that I am dealing with such blatant dishonesty and unethical behavior from one of your dealerships, when my face was all over the TV promoting the very deal I wasn’t able to get? If this is the way I am being treated how is everyone else being treated?"

In the end, Dennis went to yet another dealership ... and scored a great deal on a Honda with the terms he wanted.

0506-honda-launch_v2

Calls to Honda were not returned.

Mark Proctor

The Dealer did not want to honor a price leader due to current disruptions in the supply chain. If you offer it... you must be able to deliver it... otherwise you have FTC violations.

pizza

His credit score went lower BECAUSE he was shopping around. Unfortunate.

Truth

FIRST BIG MISTAKE - HE WANTED A HONDA FOR REAL???? WTF IS RIGHT. DUDE, HERE'S A BETTER DEAL. PAY CASH AND YOU GET 0% FINANCING RATES, 0 PAYMENTS OF 0 DOLLARS LASTING FOR 0 YEARS. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME...

BeSerious

Good for him for standing up for himself... and others that are getting screwed. It's who you know when it comes to buying cars and getting deals. Can you spell G-A-M-E? He will probably be fired. Maybe Toyota will hire him.

Jeannie

first of all, if the first honda dealer really wanted his business, they could have dealer transfered the exact car he wanted in to their delership, so obviously they didnt want to deal with him either. I dont know how business works on the west coast but sounds fishy to me...why didnt they want the sale?

Tony Ramirez

wow, u got screwed over by a car dealership.?? Honda sucks anyway..

OooooNooo!

Simple: BUY AMERICAN!

Number 6

Buy American? Why would you say a dealer screwing a Honda customer is reason for that?

I had one Ford dealer quote me $2272 for the identical F-150 I ought elsewhere for the correct price. I bought it with Ford's X-plan, which is supposed to be a fixed price.

And the first thing I did when I got the truck home was scrape away that idiotic UAW sticker from the window. I bought the F-150 not because it was American, not because it wasn't built by Goverment Motors, but because it was well-built and a fair price. Same reasons I once bought a Japanese car and a German car.

I don't have a patriotic duty to support some worthless union that leeches away from American commerce. That GM bailout was, in all actuality, a UAW bailout. Piss on the UAW and your shallow, narrow-minded "Buy American" idiocy..

Crispin

I'm betting he went to either Honda of Hollywood or Robertson Honda in North Hollywood. I had NIGHTMARE experiences with both of them.
At the Hollywood one, one of the salesmen actually told me (I'm being completely serious) "We don't do test drives."

At Robertson, they tried to sell me a car with false mileage. Complete s***bags.

Bob Dole

Buy an American car? No such thing. I can buy a foreign Toyota/Honda/Hyundai that is made in America with foreign parts, or I can buy American Ford/GM that is made in America with foreign parts... loyalty my ass. The only thing buying an "American" car does is support the stockholders. Something I'm not too worried about.

Carl

Why is he doing a lease anyway? Leases are for idiots. I just bought a new Honda Civic 2 months ago outright. No interest payments and the car is 100% mine. Guess doing commercials doesn't make you much money.

Adi

Who buys a Honda anyway? Jap cars suck big time! Go buy American... they have big cars that burn a lot of gas (although ads label them as "fuel efficient")and their quality is really poor due to their cheap plastic look and ancient technolgy except maybe the electronic toys inside

ladydiinpa

wow..glad he exposed this,,goes on all the time, glad he did not give up...everybody says used car dealerships are shady,,new car dealerships are shady too...

ladydiinpa

Irony is exactly right,,,get your financing b4 you go to the dealership..it is much better experince,,if you handle yourself right, they know right off the bat you ain't dumb and they can't get over on you...

car dealerships are slymeee...also people fail to realize the sales man needs the deal just as much as you need the car..walk out bet they will com back with a better deal/price the next day

a

Terra Firma

WOW, just because he starred in a television commercial, he thinks he's not going to get screwed by a car dealership. Please.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments