Emotional Meredith Vieira --

'It's A Difficult Day For Me'

5/9/2011 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

As her voice quivered ... and as she fought back tears ... Meredith Vieira finally made the announcement we all knew was coming ... saying, "I've decided to leave "Today" in June."

0428_meredith_vieira_bn

Vieira took the co-host seat next to Matt Lauer five years ago, replacing Katie Couric. Vieira will be replaced by Ann Curry.

Meredith says she made the decision, "After months of personal reflection and private conversations with my family and friends."

She added, "I'm really sad because ... for the past 10 years this has been my second home."

Mererdith says she wanted to spend more time with her husband, Richard, and her kids.

Vieira -- who also hosts "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" -- noted, "I really hope to stay with the NBC family ... that is my goal."

Lauer said Vieira "has brought class and dignity and talent and a joy of life to this show for the last five years."

OooooNooo!

Wow -- whole lot of sun damage on that face in real life! Wonder what camera tricks they have to go through to make her look passable?

lady

Just hoping Ann Curry would go with her. Hoping for Natalie Morales to take merideth's place. I already change the channel when Ann gets on. Love merideth and wish her lots of luck.

cregis

Don't like Meredith or "I feel your pain" Curry. Who really cares?

sick of it

never liked her so no big deal..Bring back Walter...

Weasel

Whew!

I thought HBO had brought back the series "Tales From The Crypt" for a second. That's one scary looking hag.

tlm

What a phony!! Good riddance.

Lisa

No great loss. She was the epitome of milquetoast boredom.

kp

she trying to get them to cough up more money or what, Maybe time for new blood since CBS did it. Hell getting old.

sgm

Who cares! It might be a little different if she hadn't already done this before. Just go!

Dan

Bye bye. Don't let the heavy NBC door hit your aaa on the way out. Now please take Curry along with you. She's the WORST on the show. Time for some fresh replacements.

jus-sayin

AWWW...First Ive heard. Good luck Meredith.

David

Never liked her. Not an attractive woman either.

noneofyourbusiness

I loved Meredith and am sad to see her go. I'm glad Ann is taking her place-she is a very sincere journalist. Just thankful it's not gonna be Katie Couric!

andyuscum

I like how they say they want to spend more time with thw family and then show up on another show..The EGO drives these people to continually work way past their prime (Regis) instead of enjoying life and letting someone new break into the business...I don't watch these shows but you cannot get away from these people who need to be in the limelight

Jess

I really like Meredith and am sad that she's leaving. Her and Matt have a great on-screen chemistry. As for the haters, in case you didn't know her husband has multiple sclerosis, and I'm sure that is why she wants to be able to spend more time with him. I'm not sure how I feel about Ann taking her place. I'm not always impressed with how her reporting flows. Sometimes it's stilted. We'll just have to wait and see how she handles it.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments