Emotional Meredith Vieira --

'It's A Difficult Day For Me'

5/9/2011 5:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

As her voice quivered ... and as she fought back tears ... Meredith Vieira finally made the announcement we all knew was coming ... saying, "I've decided to leave "Today" in June."

0428_meredith_vieira_bn

Vieira took the co-host seat next to Matt Lauer five years ago, replacing Katie Couric. Vieira will be replaced by Ann Curry.

Meredith says she made the decision, "After months of personal reflection and private conversations with my family and friends."

She added, "I'm really sad because ... for the past 10 years this has been my second home."

Mererdith says she wanted to spend more time with her husband, Richard, and her kids.

Vieira -- who also hosts "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" -- noted, "I really hope to stay with the NBC family ... that is my goal."

Lauer said Vieira "has brought class and dignity and talent and a joy of life to this show for the last five years."

CottonCandyMustache

It's not difficult for me... YAHOO!!! ... Meredith is OLD & UGLY... I stopped watching the show when they bypassed Ann for that position anyway.

LuvTMZInTheOC

I am only able to catch the first 20 minutes of these morning shows and all three (NBC, CBS and ABC) are abominable. The Today Show is just the lesser of three evils if you ask me. Never cared much for Meridith and I think she looks ridiculous when she wears platform heels that only belong on people 35 and younger.

Trixie

Ann Curry drives me crazy. I wish they would bring Campbell Brown back. Or put Natalie Morales in. Ann is so unstable. It won't work, she is painful to watch so I don't...I guess I'll be tuning in to Good Morning America

moe l.

MV - you look like you're "on the can" - nice face!!!

Kathy

I watch the Today Show. Won't be sorry to see her leave. Her comments toward her co-workers usually had a mean undertone, snarky. Ann is OK, just wish she would lighten up a bit, so serious.

Ginger

THANK GOD! Woohoo! The Witch is Dead! (or shriveling) I can't stand her! ...she's always been banal, awkward, and encroaching. Her attempts at humour always fall flat, she constantly tries to "insult kiddingly" Matt or Al & it always sounds forced or sharp-edged and really, she's annoying! Love the Ann Curry even with her "Morning, morning, morning" addictions...bring on someone who has some genuine personality. And get rid of the horried Luna commercials, too....then my world would be THAT much better!

Where's KOOKY?

I am sorry to see Meredith go, and wish her nothing but the best. For those who are saying such nasty things about her, perhaps you could consider what she's gone through for many years. Her husband, the journalist Richard Cohen, has been fighting MS (I believe) for a long time, even before they were married (and she wed him despite his disease, so kudos to her for doing that!). His condition has worsened, and he's also fighting cancer and is almost totally blind. Yet during all of this, she has held down two jobs and raised their three kids with courage and dignity. She won't be "popping up" on another network any time soon...she has more than enough on her plate right now with her family.

So perhaps everyone could show a little kindness and compassion for this woman and her family. She will be missed, but her family comes first and I greatly admire her for her decision.

Godspeed, Meredith and family!

Gal

I too wanted Natalie to take over. I've been watching the Today show for over 20 years. I won't watch with Ann as a co-host.

yvetterene

Congrats to Ann Curry! I have always liked her.

speakingtruthtogroupthink

They should go after Elizabeth Hasselback or some other dissenting voice. It would be entertaining to see one host finally push back in a different direction. Lauer's head exploding each time she disagreed with him would be entertaining.

Muppet

Good for her, her family is more important.

Freddie K

To be honest she probably got tired of coming in two hours early to put on the five pounds of make up. Bitch's face looks like a chinese road map!

Cynstriss

I Heart Meredith! she is a beautiful and classy lady.

Angela

Good Luck Meredith!!! I don't watch as much as I used to (since Katie left), I do like Meredith, but I won't be watching anymore.

Ann Curry is just not someone I like to watch or listen to.

Really wish they would give that position to Natalie Morales, I like her & she has great chemistry with Matt & Al.

Ted