Schwarzenegger

Fathered

Out-of-Wedlock Baby

5/17/2011 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Arnold Schwarzenegger fathered a baby with a member of his household staff, and that is what sent Maria Shriver packing ... and right into the office of a powerful financial adviser to get her affairs in order to end her marriage, TMZ has learned.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Love Child
Sources say Maria was distraught after learning Arnold pulled a John Edwards. The baby mama worked for the family for two decades, retired and received a severance package, according to the L.A. Times.

The baby was born more than a decade ago, but until recently Maria thought the father was the woman's husband at the time.

Schwarzenegger told The Times, "After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago. I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."

TMZ heard about the baby 5 days ago, but everyone in the Schwarzenegger camp was denying it.  But sources told us Maria was "completely distraught" yet determined to move on with her life.  She has not pulled the trigger to end her marriage on the legal side, but she has been working with a very powerful financial adviser who has been helping her position herself for a divorce.

We believe -- though have not confirmed -- there is a prenup, but the couple has been together so long the effectiveness of it is problematic.

UPDATE: Maria released a statement saying, "This is a painful and heartbreaking time. As a mother, my concern is for the children."

She continued, "I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."

Hapticz

keepa u mouth shutta! maybe he wants the divorce, as some women will never let a guy go free, ever!

j00

i totally think he was wrong for doing this; yet this exist everywhere powerful men' always sleeping with the help at work or home hint clinton the list goes on... guess most of them just not famous enough to here about, i have no doubt that he won't be the last and wouldn't expect any different from any of them, specially celebrities politicians (and he' both so it was inavitable)

Kristian

I hereby dub thee Spermanator!!!!!

Judy

Ronald!!
What a stupid remark to say that all men are low lifes that cant be faithful! Speak for yourself, I have been married to an awesome man for over 15 years and he and I are still the best of friends, Arnold is a low life, For him to have the nerve to sleep with another women is bad enough but to sleep with a "staff" women that works in THEIR house he is unforgiveable! His children live in that house, Maybe if he would have come clean as soon as he found out it could have made a big diffrence, but now he is a first class A**!
and so are you for making that statement! Some men can be such jerks!!

Ronald Austin

Point well taken Observer. It is damage to the kid having to believe that your dad is someone else until that late in life. He did much more of a disservice to the kid than to Maria I think. I seem to be standing up for him and I'm really not. I just hate to see everyone jump all over the guy because he's rich (he earned it), he was the governor, he was Republican, etc. Judge him like you'd judge yourself or your friends or family. The rest has nothing to do with the matter.

WOStavelot

Does any of your editorial staff do any editing? Does anyone who writes these posts, read them?

Ronald Austin

I didn't say that all men are lowlifes and your remark that having a kid out of wedlock makes one a lowlife is indeed a stupid remark. Did you ever make a real mistake in life Judy? Ever cheat on anyone ever? Sure you didn't. Ever steal, lie to anyone important to you. Sure you didn't Judy because you are perfect. If you weren't that would make you ... what ... a "lowlife"?

Frau Detmolders

She might go back to him if he put his muscles back on.

char

actually the article i read said this happened within 5 years of their marriage and i don't believe her to be the first one. i find it odd that the news media just broke this story i think their was alot of backroom deals and money paid out to keep this quiet for this many years. also why after 25 years would arnold confess suddenly ,maybe because he had to, and there is no longer the kennedy dynasty with ted dying,rose dying.john jr,eunice and maria's father dead arnold has no more use for the kennedys for his political gain.arnold was a lousy govenor and knows he can never run for president.

Bippy

"NOW WE HAVE THE SPERMINATOR"!!!!!!!!

dd

@Ketjo, that's the whole point she was BETRAYED by two people she trusted most in the world...The maid was with her for 20 yrs, now that hurts. Arnold should have known how NOT to make a baby, this is a DISGRACE, I will never watch him in another movie as long as I live, no respect for his children either, daddies banging the trusted maid...WOW!

sean

The biggest crime here is the absurd number of grammatical errors in this article. Really, TMZ?! Did Harvey write this while doing a set of curls this morning?

Bippy

TRUE TO FORM FOR THE KENNEDY FAMILY! GOTTA ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING ON THE SIDE! HE IS NOW A REAL KENNEDY! SHE OUGHT TO BE USED TO THE FAMILY REPUTATION!

butter

Wouldn't surprise me now if someone else comes forward with yet another child/affair...isn't that how things work lately...

Julies

What an ass. Puffed up by ego. He is a small,weak man.