Schwarzenegger

Fathered

Out-of-Wedlock Baby

5/17/2011 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Arnold Schwarzenegger fathered a baby with a member of his household staff, and that is what sent Maria Shriver packing ... and right into the office of a powerful financial adviser to get her affairs in order to end her marriage, TMZ has learned.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Love Child
Sources say Maria was distraught after learning Arnold pulled a John Edwards. The baby mama worked for the family for two decades, retired and received a severance package, according to the L.A. Times.

The baby was born more than a decade ago, but until recently Maria thought the father was the woman's husband at the time.

Schwarzenegger told The Times, "After leaving the governor's office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago. I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry."

TMZ heard about the baby 5 days ago, but everyone in the Schwarzenegger camp was denying it.  But sources told us Maria was "completely distraught" yet determined to move on with her life.  She has not pulled the trigger to end her marriage on the legal side, but she has been working with a very powerful financial adviser who has been helping her position herself for a divorce.

We believe -- though have not confirmed -- there is a prenup, but the couple has been together so long the effectiveness of it is problematic.

UPDATE: Maria released a statement saying, "This is a painful and heartbreaking time. As a mother, my concern is for the children."

She continued, "I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."

Ark

I will say, it is really decent of Arnold to own up and take responsibility for what he had done. And, all you ladies who would like to haul Arnold over coals, just imagine - he could have just disowned this misadventure - which happened a decade ago.

Snooty Zoo

I always enjoy it when I see a new Mercedes stuck on the
side of the road with its hood up while I zoom by in my old
beat up Toyota that never fails me. No pity here.

gretchen

What a s***bag.

KET

How pathetic. I don't know what's worse, sleeping with the STAFF or trying to pretend that providing financial support for 10 years while denying your child a father is the "stand up" thing to do. Telling your wife 10 years later--leaving her to feel like a fool for having this going on under her roof for years AFTER. And, folks, SLEEPING WITH HIS HOUSEHOLD STAFF. That in itself reeks of using power for sexual gratification. Let's not forget too that it was clearly unprotected sex, exposing his wife to potential STDs. There's not one shred of decency here. On, and by the way, there's a reason why it matters more what he did than what the child's mother did (or whether me or my husband have cheated). She wasn't a public servant who hid this in order to get elected. She clearly wasn't getting rich of having a child with him--she had to continue to work for them to get her "20 years" in to retire. What a complete 100% bipartisan POS.

Barbarascy

Arnold has always had a checkered past when it come to the ladies. Not surprised. I hope he really is doing the right thing by this child though.

just sayin

Not to be too picky here, but the headline about having a child out of wedlock implies the child was before Maria and Arnold got married and this obviously wasn't the case. I hope that the woman's husband at the time already knew he was not the father and I also hope that this has not been a horrible surprise to the child. There are possibly more victims of this bit of adultery than just Maria Shriver and her children.

zumamama

I have heard for years that he fathered some kids in Malibu also? How many are out there?

JackedNY

She should forgive him. The child should be welcomed into the family.

MD

As usual, a guy who has no respect for his spouse and family nor has any self-respect. No wonder California is in trouble. You vote for a foreign body-builder/ actor who leads with his weiner.

joe332134

It is called adultery.

rarething

what about this child **** him and her does this child know who his own father is? how does he feel that he has been made a california kept secret bc u knwo that this was all a result of advise of the *******s

wmc604

Arnold has an amazing publicist. I mean to think ahead ten years and say..."Arnold go **** your hot spanish housekeeper and father a baby. As soon as your term as the govenor is up we can use the publicity to get you a movie deal." Brillant! Now that was money well spent. Arnold's illegitimate child, hollywood can milk that cow for years to come.

animatedpalm

Arnold Schwarzenegger is a gangster

kyle

I was trying to read this article, but the grammatical errors made it almost impossible. "The baby mama worked for family two decades" I mean really?

"TMZ heard about the baby 5 days ago, but everyone in the Schwarzenegger was denying it." Really? Do you even read the what you wrote before posting?

Spell check doesn't catch stupidity...

steve

Interesting comment on the man in terms of the sincerity of his apologies. He never mentioned and / or apologized to the woman he impregnated - and more importantly the child he fathered - but was never a father to.

I understand Maria's feelings of betrayal and loss of love , but imagine that ten times over for the child involved here. Not much of a man - very sad.