'Road Trip' Actress -- Knee Surgery Day Before Death

5/11/2011 9:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

"Road Trip" actress Mia Amber Davis underwent a routine knee surgery in Los Angeles the day before she died ... TMZ has confirmed.

0511_amber_davis_EX_Getty_02

TMZ spoke with Mia's husband -- Michael Yard -- who told us the actress went under the knife Monday to correct an ongoing issue with her knee stemming from an old college basketball injury.

Yard -- who was in NY at the time -- tells us he spoke with Mia Tuesday morning and she sounded normal and in good spirits.

However, hours later -- Mike says he got a phone call from Mia's cousin informing him that she was taking Mia to the hospital because Mia had been suffering from a bout of dizziness.

Soon after, Mike says the unthinkable happened -- he got another phone call informing him his wife had passed away.

Mike says he immediately hopped on a plane to L.A. -- and he wants answers ... telling TMZ, "I want to know what happened to my wife."

Noneurbusiness

omg this is so horrible so sad. God bless her and her family.

Craig

Blood clot, I bet. It's a serious complication that can occur after any surgery. So sad. Condolences to the family.

Pinky

HORRIBLE news!! May she RIP and prayers to the family. Knee surgery and replacement surgery is NO JOKE, people! High risk of infection. The hospital has some 'splaining to do!

.:Loki4Ever:.

Possible OD on pain meds??

fuzzy

Could have been a blood clot. very sad.

Carrie

So SAD. This is exactly what happened to my mother in-law. She had a surgery for torn ligament then she died 3 days later.

Janie

Dear TMZ, please stop referring to a surgical procedure as "undergoing the knife". You demean everyone who reads your posts.

Truth

LAWSUIT CITY... WHAT ELSE IS NEW.

jerseysoprano

This is so sad. I was going to have Knee Surgery a few years ok, and opted out of it. This is a very sad and eerie Story. I hope the family and friends get the answers they need

John

Loki4ever I was thinking that or a clot.... due to her size I am guessing a clot only because her body should have been able to handle an extra vicodin..... I would be shocked to think they would put her on anything like oxy cotton...

Lori

Blood Clot.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

It's always shocking when somebody dies after having a common surgery, but people tend to forget that surgery always has serious risks. I also vote for blood clot.

My condolences to her husband.

Lea

It sounds like an infection that traveled to her brain and cause a quick death. It may have been dirty tools involved as that had happened to me. Psuedomonas infection. May God rest her Soul... Very sad time is of the essence and love is all there is I am so sorry for your loss.

John

this is sad and I thought she was funny and I hoped she would get more acting work.

I just d/l the torrent since my dvd is at home and I will have to watch road trip

Sarafina

Truly sad. My condolences to her husband and the family.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments