« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

MMA Lawsuit

You JACKED

My Brother's Remains!!

5/11/2011 6:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The heads of the MMA clothing company TapouT have been accused of STEALING the cremated remains of their fallen co-founder ... and illegally giving away vials of his ashes at his memorial ... TMZ has learned.

0511_tapout_EX_Getty
The man at the center of the controversy is Charles "Mask" Lewis -- who was killed by a drunk driver back in 2009. Mask was cremated at the request of his sister Carla ... who had executive power over Mask's remains.

After Mask's death, Carla claims she was approached by the co-founders of TapouT -- men calling themselves Skyscrape and Punkass -- who wanted to "borrow" Mask's ashes and urn for a public memorial service.

In a lawsuit filed in San Bernardino County, CA -- Carla says she agreed, but demanded the two men return Mask's remains immediately following the service.

Here's where things get CRAZY -- Carla says when she arrived to the memorial service, she noticed "various booths and tables" set up around the cathedral ... one of which contained, "a large shoebox-size box containing several miniature vials that were on display."

Carla says the vendor informed her, "each of the vials contained a small amount of the cremated remains of Mask, and were reserved for, and to be given to, 'special people' whose names were on a printed list."

Carla believes somewhere between 50 to 100 vials were either "sold, given away, donated or otherwise distributed to several unknown persons."

Not only is Carla PISSED about the vials ... she claims TapouT still has possession of the urn and the remainder of Mask's ashes ... and the company refuses to return them.

Carla is suing for unspecified damages -- citing "overwhelming and severe emotional distress."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

aimee

@ju so are you that stupid and slow that you havent been able to keep up, but they have already admitted to taking the ashes, you must be from poser land like facts and a few other nobodies that think they're somebody. like i said we'll see who is pretending to know something, and who really knows something.

aimee

i bet all of you who believed in skyscrspe and punkass and that they could NEVER do such a thing feel stupid now that they have admitted to it you guys are all posers and dont know **** about the facts

aimee

Oh, sad JTZ. Seriously. So your brother's friends divide your brother out, and well, that's just fine right?! If my brother was just "given" away, I would be out for blood. God bless Masks sis for just filing a lawsuit; I personally would be in jail for this madness

aimee

@dimes. From my limited understanding of this, statute of limitations is two years... she's been asking for the remains back (no money) all this time. Well you know the lawsuit had to happen; tapout is trying to give back the remains now...who is really worried about the money? She needs to punish these mfers, cripple them...if it was my brother...

FactouT

This story is patently false. Charles Lewis's sister, KAYA, not CARLA, has been going for a money grab for years. Lewis left her nothing, and in fact had a horrendous relationship with her. Until his death she lived in Northern California, and they had no connection at all.

Apparently she has a website, or something of that nature, dedicated to her brother's death. On that site, I'm told, there's not a single picture of her and Charles.

It's a baseless suit, and an attempt to get money by someone who has none, and was given none by her brother while he was alive.

Bubba

Why on earth would you lend the urn containing the ashes of your deceased brother to anyone? Someone who does that is completely out of his or her mind imho.
At home I have the urns with the ashes of my deceased dogs and I have never allowed anyone to even touch them.

Moonlite

Factout is correct yes Kaya, Carla, Sissy she has many names. The facts they posted is 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!! CORRECT! I am his cousin and I know the truth!!!!!!! and so do others in our family and those who were close. She was homeless when he died!!! I could say more but I will stop here. SHE HAD NO RELATIONSHIP WITH HER BROTHER AND DID NOT SUPPORT HIM DOIN TAP OUT AND DID NOT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON IN HER BROTHERS LIFE!!!!!!!!! sorry I have to speak up the whole truth will come out.....be patient!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4